• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Your head must have been stank. I much prefer my X-Liner. j/k.

Stupidish question...What's everybody's preference for pub lunchbags? I'm about 10 flights out from RIs (granted, that's like 16 weeks these days) so I'd like to get a good bag that will last a long time. Everything that Sporty's has are enormous "bigger is better" bags. Marv Golden has one pub bag that looks promising and it's pretty cheap(just as Marv Golden usually is).

I've used the wings and things "Hornet" bag throughout advanced and it has worked well. It fits right between the ejection seat and the useless nav pouch we have in the -45, and stays put unless you REALLY unload the jet. I did have to strap it through my waist straps when I went to the boat for the traps, but it has worked great throughout. I just used the issued helmet bag in primary RI's though.....worked just fine (most of what you will need can be found in one or two low plate books anyways, plus the en route charts which you probably want out anyway)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I just used the issued helmet bag in primary RI's though.....worked just fine (most of what you will need can be found in one or two low plate books anyways, plus the en route charts which you probably want out anyway)

I did the same. I kept all of my big books (NATOPS, 3710, GP, FTI, etc) in a backpack for the brief and I kept my pubs in the helmet bag for the walk to the airplane. You'll have your approach plates on your leg strap and you can tuck your charts between the windscreen and glare shield. On my CCX I tucked my IFR supp and FIH in the shitty map case. It worked pretty well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Your head must have been stank. I much prefer my X-Liner. j/k.

Stupidish question...What's everybody's preference for pub lunchbags? I'm about 10 flights out from RIs (granted, that's like 16 weeks these days) so I'd like to get a good bag that will last a long time. Everything that Sporty's has are enormous "bigger is better" bags. Marv Golden has one pub bag that looks promising and it's pretty cheap(just as Marv Golden usually is).

One question to answer is: where do you want to go after Primary. If helos is your choice, a slightly bigger bag is better because you can fit your Natops in there. I bought the wider bag from wings and things and it would hold the -57 Natops, two plates, and the numerous charts (among other things). If you want to go jets, I'd go w/ MIDNJAC or wait until you get there. I used my same bag as an IP when I would go on the road in the T-34 and it worked, but it wasn't optimal. Usually not as big a deal since I'd be in the back a lot and I had the bigger map case. But if I was in a cramped cockpit, "single-seat" (or nearly so), a smaller bag would be better.

Other's mileage may vary.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
One question to answer is: where do you want to go after Primary. If helos is your choice, a slightly bigger bag is better because you can fit your Natops in there. I bought the wider bag from wings and things and it would hold the -57 Natops, two plates, and the numerous charts (among other things). If you want to go jets, I'd go w/ MIDNJAC or wait until you get there. I used my same bag as an IP when I would go on the road in the T-34 and it worked, but it wasn't optimal. Usually not as big a deal since I'd be in the back a lot and I had the bigger map case. But if I was in a cramped cockpit, "single-seat" (or nearly so), a smaller bag would be better.

Other's mileage may vary.

That's sort of what I was wondering. I was hoping there would be one bag that would work well for both the -57 or -45. I guess if the helmet bag will carry everything I need for the next several weeks I can wait until I see what selection day brings. Maybe I'll get Hercs and buy a rolling suitcase.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I think this has been discussed on here before, but I can't find it. I'm trying to find the website that you can download electronic copies of NATOPS manuals. I went to the NAVAIR website but didn't see anything on there. Thanks.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think this has been discussed on here before, but I can't find it. I'm trying to find the website that you can download electronic copies of NATOPS manuals. I went to the NAVAIR website but didn't see anything on there. Thanks.

Airworthiness = registration + CAC login.

Terminator

I gotta go..

Sooo, here's a really stupid one. And search has failed me.

What do you do if nature calls when you're on a flight/mission?

Do you crap/piss yourself, or hold it to the best of your abilities? Obviously, the jet guys are screwed, but do the multi-engine guys get up and do their business mid-flight, space permitting?

Just wondering...

-Terminator

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Sooo, here's a really stupid one. And search has failed me.

What do you do if nature calls when you're on a flight/mission?

Do you crap/piss yourself, or hold it to the best of your abilities? Obviously, the jet guys are screwed, but do the multi-engine guys get up and do their business mid-flight, space permitting?

Just wondering...

-Terminator

Some aircraft (like helos) have a 'relief tube' in the cockpit/cabin. It's a hose with a funnel looking end that drains through a hole in the bottom of the aircraft.
If you are in a pressurized cockpit, then you travel with a 'piddle pack'. It's a pouch with absorbant material that you can piss into and then seal it up.

If you have to take a dump you are really screwed, unless you are flying a P-3, E-6, C-40 or C-9. If you are not flying one of those aircraft then you need to make some value based decisions on what you're going to do. (For example I have a friend who took a dump in the sonobouy tubes of an H-60F... but that's another story). If you do fly one of the aforementioned aircraft, then you get up, stretch you legs while you walk to the head and do your business.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If you have to take a dump you are really screwed, unless you are flying a P-3, E-6, C-40 or C-9. If you are not flying one of those aircraft then you need to make some value based decisions on what you're going to do. (For example I have a friend who took a dump in the sonobouy tubes of an H-60F... but that's another story). If you do fly one of the aforementioned aircraft, then you get up, stretch you legs while you walk to the head and do your business.

False. While there is room to take a dump in a P-3, crews should consider it to be a last ditch emergency procedure, right up there with using the autopilot to land. There's no chem toilet, just a toilet bowl shaped hole. Dumping involves pooping into a garbage bag and then trying not to piss off everyone on the plane while you figure out what to do with it. We can't jettison it because it'll probably explode as soon as it hits the slipstream and smear dookie down the back of the plane. Leaving it in the doppler well is a popular option with some tube rats, but it can result in very firm landings/excessive use of the rudders from the flight station as we have to deal with the smell of someone else's poop while we're trying to rack out by the galley. Unless it's an absolute uncontrollable emergency, pooping on a P-3 is about as rude and inconsiderate as it gets. I hate inflight poopers.

I'd imagine pooping on a helo might be easier, if you can get out of the seat and move to the back. Do your business with the doors open, air it out, and jettison the evidence for the purposes of weight and balance. Presto.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Sir, you can't tease that and just walk away...

Status
Not open for further replies.