• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterBates

I think the 60 being larger/more complex drives the more mechanics issue.
500-700 in a 7 month cruise sounds about right for a 2 plane, maybe more back in the day, but with FLM not so much.

Granted, I have been out of LAMPS for almost 2 years now.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... Thats like using someone else's coffee mug!
Speakin' of which ... :)

The nearest I ever came to seeing a freshly-arrived young Ensign NFO get crushed & dismembered, even homicidally murdered with extreme prejudice ... and right before my very eyes w/ a dozen witnesses present ... was when this new import from the RAG loudly, laughingly, grinningly, walked into Maint Control and
stupidly took the first cup he found, held it to the coffee pot spout, filled it, and took a swig of what he thought would be a bracing shot of ol' "good morning" Navy Joe ...

He spit the strong brew back out into the cup, cursed loudly, and still laughing giddily in his high-pitched tone, our young NFO put the half-filled cup down on the counter and walked out of the space w/ a cross-hair now firmly affixed and tracking on the back of his head.
:D

The cup was the Master Chief's .... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

It was so quiet you could barely hear the muffled breathing from the other incredulous, petrified airmen in Maint Control. :eek:

I stood there
trembling as the MC's withering gaze moved to me .... but not knowing whether to run & hide, scream for my own safety, or fake unconsciousness and pass out on the deck ... paralyzed by fear, I did nothing. :eek:

Perhaps the Master Chief couldn't see me if I remained really, really still ...??? :eek:

The MC said: " LT. 'XXXX' ... we have a problem here. You saw it. Everyone here saw it. You have to do something about this problem" ........

I gurgled: "There is NO PROBLEM, Master Chief. I'll take your suggestion FORAC right now, however ... !! Bye ... "

And I retreated from Maint Control to begin what would be the first of many "counseling" sessions w/ this particular young NFO ... :)

I was so glad to be alive.

Flugelman

Contributor

The nearest I ever came to seeing a freshly-arrived young Ensign NFO get crushed & dismembered, even homicidally murdered with extreme prejudice ... and right before my very eyes w/ a dozen witnesses present ... was when this new import from the RAG loudly, laughingly, grinningly, walked into Maint Control and stupidly took the first cup he found, held it to the coffee pot spout, filled it, and took a swig of what he thought would be a bracing shot of ol' "good morning" Navy Joe ...

He spit the strong brew back out into the cup, cursed loudly, and still laughing giddily in his high-pitched tone, our young NFO put the half-filled cup down on the counter and walked out of the space w/ a cross-hair now firmly affixed and tracking on the back of his head. :D

The cup was the Master Chief's .... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

It was so quiet you could barely hear the muffled breathing from the other incredulous, petrified airmen in Maint Control. :eek:

I stood there trembling as the MC's withering gaze moved to me .... but not knowing whether to run & hide, scream for my own safety, or fake unconsciousness and pass out on the deck ... paralyzed by fear, I did nothing. :eek:

Perhaps the Master Chief couldn't see me if I remained really, really still ...??? :eek:

The MC said: " LT. 'XXXX' ... we have a problem here. You saw it. Everyone here saw it. You have to do something about this problem" ........

I gurgled: "There is NO PROBLEM, Master Chief. I'll take your suggestion FORAC right now, however ... !! Bye ... "

And I retreated from Maint Control to begin what would be the first of many "counseling" sessions w/ this particular young NFO ... :)

That JO is lucky you didn't have to find the errant cup with a sigmoidoscope...:eek:

B

Blutonski816

Bolter said:
wow, thats just about 23,650 more than me. with the rate we are tearing up these war birds, I don't think many people will be reaching the big 5K mark in our military careers. times are a' changin'.

Okay, I pulled this from the "last Flight" thread...

So back in the day I understand guys could rack up thousands of hours out of their military flying career. Now not so much.
I remember reading CAPT John B. Nichols's book and in it he mentions the concept of "Aviation Duty Officers." That was the first time I'd heard of it.
So correct me if I'm wrong but they're basically like LDOs, there to do a job, but not necessarily career Os who could look forward to getting big commands of their own. Some names I heard tossed around about such guys were the late "Bug" Roach and (I think) "Hoser" Satrapa.
Now I know there's a lot of talk here and there on the boards about "terminal O-4s" who are good sticks but could never hope to get screened for command for one reason or another.
Anyway, I was wondering what has happened with the concept of Aviation Duty Officers (if it has gone by the wayside)?

(as a note to those who might ask... As cool as it sounds to do little more than fly for the Navy, I do aspire to become a Career Officer, barring any unforseen circumstances in the future [family, etc.])

RyanF

unimportant
LOGGRU WESTPAC is a great deal, incidentally. Only USN permanent command in Singapore.

Is it possible for an NA to get this as a shore tour?

Reason I ask is that I lived in Singapore for almost 5 years and went to the American school with a few of the Navy brats. I would love to go back and live there for a bit....assuming they let me in Navy to begin with. :icon_tong

PS: I also have to admit sailors in port are some of the nicest people I know. They even made sure I was plenty liquored up at the tender age of 15 :D

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Okay, I pulled this from the "last Flight" thread...

So back in the day I understand guys could rack up thousands of hours out of their military flying career. Now not so much.
I remember reading CAPT John B. Nichols's book and in it he mentions the concept of "Aviation Duty Officers." That was the first time I'd heard of it.
So correct me if I'm wrong but they're basically like LDOs, there to do a job, but not necessarily career Os who could look forward to getting big commands of their own. Some names I heard tossed around about such guys were the late "Bug" Roach and (I think) "Hoser" Satrapa.
Now I know there's a lot of talk here and there on the boards about "terminal O-4s" who are good sticks but could never hope to get screened for command for one reason or another.
Anyway, I was wondering what has happened with the concept of Aviation Duty Officers (if it has gone by the wayside)?

There were actually two programs developed in the 80's. One was the ADO program you described, the other was an ALDO flying program. The basic difference was the LDO was prior enlisted and was commissioned as a Limited Duty Officer. Both programs were phased out in the 90's officially due to the decrease in flying requirements. There were of course other reasons these programs went away. Both ADO and ALDO career paths conflicted with the standard of a NA aspiring to command. Most of us that fly want to stay in the cockpit as much as possible. The fleet perception was ADO/ALDOs were taking flying jobs while JO's with good records were getting sent off to do other things (IA type duty, staff, etc.). Two things resulted, 1) many of the ADO/ALDOs got stuck in the training command, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for them, but they became contractor pilots rather than a fleet experienced instructor. 2) many ADO/ALDO's also got sent off to less career enhancing non-flying jobs to fill avation billets. The bottom line, right or wrong, was not many COs were willing to give "water walker" fitness reports to aviators that were already terminal O-4s and out of running for command.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ADO/ALDO is indeed gone, but the concept has been revived for the FWO program. The idea is to keep some bodies in the Fleet, racking up the hours, and keeping some cockpit expertise at the "JO" level, but they won't conflict with regular Line officers.

phrogpilot73

ADO/ALDO is indeed gone, but the concept has been revived for the FWO program. The idea is to keep some bodies in the Fleet, racking up the hours, and keeping some cockpit expertise at the "JO" level, but they won't conflict with regular Line officers.
And with that comment, I'm standing by to give an infraction/ban the guy that always mentions how if the Navy would do it right, they'd do like the Army and switch to all WO's. If you're lurking - you've been warned.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
There were actually two programs developed in the 80's. One was the ADO program you described, the other was an ALDO flying program.....
And 'course prior to that, there was AEDO and AMDO. Or is that the same thing you describe reinvented now with just another name ... ??

A "Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose."

We used to call 'em "Aviation" ... now I think the "A" stands for "Aerospace" ... :)

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
And 'course prior to that, there was AEDO and AMDO. Or is that the same thing you describe reinvented now with just another name ... ??

A "Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose."

We used to call 'em "Aviation" ... now I think the "A" stands for "Aerospace" ... :)

I believe they were different programs but I'm not sure. I friend transitioned to AEDO several years ago to get into the acquisition (NAVAIR) side of the house. He was then on a separate career path from the fleet bubbas.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Do AMDO's and AEDO's get flying billets then? I was under the impression that they just worked at the AIMD's and such

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Do AMDO's and AEDO's get flying billets then? I was under the impression that they just worked at the AIMD's and such
If memory serves ... their flyin' days were over. It was a "career" move, not a flyin' move, done mostly by guys who didn't think they would ever screen for squadron command but still wanted the Eagle to shit every two weeks ... :)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

If memory serves ... their flyin' days were over. It was a "career" move, not a flyin' move, done mostly by guys who didn't think they would ever screen for squadron command but still wanted the Eagle to shit every two weeks ... :)

AMDO's (Aviation Maintenance Duty Officers) do not fly. AEDO's (Aviation Engineering Duty Officers) do fly. For me, going AEDO was a way to stay in the cockpit. After all, staff jobs, war college, cubicles, ppt's, etc are for other people. (I'm not saying that the Navy doesn't really need people to do that stuff, I'm just saying I'd prefer that person not be me).

In all seriousness, it was a way to ditch a community I had no real love for anymore, stop going on deployments, avoid playing the political games without punishment, and build a resume for when it comes time to grow a pony tail and a goatee - all while staying in the cockpit. I am somewhat out of the norm in that I will never do a Pax River cubicle job, and there are seagulls who go 1510 and never get back in the cockpit, so YMMV.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Here's one -

What are the 10 nozzle-shaped things in between the rudders on the hornet? I attached an image below that I took at NAS Oceana to help show what I'm talking about. They're right above the engines. Forgive me if it's actually a super hornet.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say chaff/flare...

:confused:

Attachments

• SANY0716.jpg
    SANY0716.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 69

HuggyU2

None

The nearest I ever came to seeing a freshly-arrived young Ensign NFO get crushed & dismembered, even homicidally murdered with extreme prejudice ...

Classic.
THAT is the military that I miss serving in.

Status
Not open for further replies.