• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pags

N/A
pilot
No, I mean plugging water into the engine and squirting it in the compressor section. It's done every fly-day for helos over water and done on the 7-day for aircraft over land (including VT/HT aircraft).

The "fresh-water wash down" (some would call it an aircraft wash) is required every 7-day at sea and 14-day on land for helos.

...or the dreaded 60hr!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...and hot-section wash. I think that's worse than what the 60 hour used to be.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
fas.org is decent for getting generalities of how things work.
I can promise you not a soul in there right mind will answer probably any of those questions. That's the kind of stuff it's probably just better to read about in a book.
That's fair.

How does a guy with that many posts and that kind of rep ask something this stupid?
Practice.

:eek: WTF!! Someone must have hacked into his account and posted this; don't seem like him to ask something like this... at least that's the excuse I would use to prevent further lambasting by us observers of OPSEC. Either that or say "this was a drunk post" :D.
This is not the first time I have asked a question that felt innocent at the time, but upon further analysis was clearly an invitation for only bad things.

Obviously I have to do better.

MasterBates

I dunno.. But I always hated the come back from a long ass triple bag Goggle-ex at 0400.. And have to do a "special 60 hour" with both a hot section wash, AND oil cooler vibes.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is not the first time I have asked a question that felt innocent at the time, but upon further analysis was clearly an invitation for only bad things.

Obviously I have to do better.

What...are you doing PQS or something? C'mon, man, we're not looking up the answers for you...

MasterBates

Here's a dumb question that not even the all-knowing Mr TD (of E-2 fame) can answer..

Why is the most junior qual in an E-2 (for pilots) called a 3P?

I can see that in P-3s, where you have three pilots in a crew. Every other 2-piloted aircraft I have seen has used some variation on PQM (Pilot Qualified in Model) for that "you've graduated the rag but still don't know shit from shinola, not even worthy of being a "nugget" new guy".

Where I came from (HSL) we popped out of the RAG as a PQM, and normally made 2P before deployment, sometimes well before. I'm trying to avoid being that "in my old community we did it this way" guy at all cost, but I don't get why we are called 3Ps, where the normal crew is 2 pilots, 3 NFOs.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Sorta naval aviation related, but do commercial airliners FCF, or whatever it would be called for them?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
This seems like a stupid question, but it's been bugging me:

I know that fixed-wing aircraft have the ability to adjust trim tabs to keep the lift working, but do helicopters have the same ability? And if so, what do you trim?

MasterBates

Helo position the blades with brute force and irreversible hydraulics.

There is some aero involved.. But it's mostly just mechanical/hyd.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Most helicopters have a system called force trim to give an artificial feel of trim. It is essentially a spring mounted to an electric brake on each control axis. Pressing a button on the cyclic/collective/pedals releases the brake and allows you to reposition the spring center.

But realize that helicopters are unstable and thus you can not just trim out an airspeed and leave it. Maintaining airspeed requires constant control inputs from either the pilot or an automatic flight control system.

It can get much more complicated depending on how deep you want to go. The -60F AFCS has 20 functions.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Most helicopters have a system called force trim to give an artificial feel of trim. It is essentially a spring mounted to an electric brake on each control axis. Pressing a button on the cyclic/collective/pedals releases the brake and allows you to reposition the spring center.

But realize that helicopters are unstable and thus you can not just trim out an airspeed and leave it. Maintaining airspeed requires constant control inputs from either the pilot or an automatic flight control system.

It can get much more complicated depending on how deep you want to go. The -60F AFCS has 20 functions.

The 60's blades do have trim tabs, but they are set during FCF and the adjustment of them basically requires you to adjust them with a pliers.

The 60 has both trim and an autopilot. The trim will hold the controls in the position you trimmed them at, and if you displace them away from the trimmed position without pressing the trim release the force required to move them will increase. The autopilot will hold the a/c where you trimmed it at, either dependent on attitude or airspeed/heading, depending on your regime of flight. You also have the option of alt hold, which will keep the a/c at a set altitude.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I dunno.. But I always hated the come back from a long ass triple bag Goggle-ex at 0400.. And have to do a "special 60 hour" with both a hot section wash, AND oil cooler vibes.

What was the reason for that? Have never done anything like that in the 60S.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Usually "special 60 hour" means that the bird you are in needs to fly the next day, and maintenance doesn't have the hours for it, so they REBASE the 60 hour so the bird won't drop dead during the flyday.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

That vibe requirement went away. Or at least, I haven't done it since coming back. The 60-hour used to just be squirting B&B in the engines, letting it sit, then rinsing and drying the engines. Circa 2004-ish, they started doing Hot-Section washes, so now they squirt B&B in both the hot section as well as the compressor for each engine, then let it sit, then rinse and dry. Because the hot section is harder to get to (and there's not pre-set plumbing to get in there), it always ends up taking about twice as long as a regular 60 hour...okay, maybe not twice as long, but it never seems to be "quick."

I don't know why you guys don't do a hot section in the Sierra, since they're the same engine. Maybe it's a community thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.