• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thats the difference between the air-farce and the Navy/Marine Corps.

N/MC plugs into the basket and "fucks" for our fuel.

Air Farce gets "fucked" by having tanker plug into his jet. Not sure about which ones have stabilizers on them or why.

Yeah, and you have to land.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As does the E-6, if I'm not mistaken.

That is an E-6B

1202081.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ahh, can't see photbucket at work/NMCI.......and poor reading comprehension. Thought it was a pic of the P-8.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
I notice that some of the pics of the refueling boom have a basket, some have a probe, and some have a probe with wings...how many different fittings do you have?

The KC-10 has a boom,
DSC05056.jpg

centerline hose,
IMG_2931.jpg

and some have wing pods.
-10warpwith-14and-18.jpg

The 135 has a boom, a strap-on boom drogue adaptor (the hose looking thing strapped onto the boom), and some have wing pods. And I'm too lazy to look up their crap

The boom can pump gas more quickly (~ 9,000 PPM for the boom vs. ~ 2,000 PPM with the hose), and is safer, since you don't have receivers always losing their probe in it, taking the basket with them (sorry 107...), or taking 5 minutes to get into contact because of a little light chop. But it needs a much bigger plane, and a separate operator instead of just flipping a switch and letting the other plane do all the work.

Both have their pluses and minuses, but it really comes down to which one is better for each service

MasterBates

If you notice, the -130's got flaps partially out for the helos.. Problem is most helos are hard pressed to do much more than 160 on the deck, and it's worse at any altitude tankers like to fly at.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
They're the only ones I've seen do it. Not to say that the bigger tankers couldn't, but I think it would be difficult for them to fly slowly enough. Plus there are probably flight clearance issues.

Helos also usually use a different drogue than the one used by fixed-wing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope. Check out the 53. That long thing poking out the front isn't a penis. Also a little something called HIFR.

Yeah, I'm aware. I'm talking about YOU in HSC, and that little something called HIFR is almost never used. So looks like you'll have to land after all.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
HIFR is about the only means less convenient to refuel an aircraft than gravity.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I'm aware. I'm talking about YOU in HSC, and that little something called HIFR is almost never used. So looks like you'll have to land after all.

Brett

I know, I was just being a smartass.

Ohhh.... 3hrs max for missions without aux tanks?? Say it ain't so! Boo hoo! I'd much rather sit in an uncomfortable seat for 6hrs!

Just means I only have 3hrs to fire a hellfire up Hadji's ass. (ya ya.... I know)
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.