• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Georgia Boy

Some basic OCS questions

I am a civilian applying for Navy OCS, and just found this forum. A lot of great info. on here by the way. I read the "Confessions of a dropout" sticky, the article posted in this section, and have browsed the forum which has given me a lot of useful info. However, I still have a few questions. I did a search and didn't really find the answers...so here they are:
1. Could someone please send me a link to any threads or direct me to where I can find some real general "how to succeed in OCS information" please? I read the sticky "Confessions of a dropout", but want some information from those of you who have succeeded, because that is what I am dedicated to doing.
2. I am working on memorizing the Chain of Command, and would like to fill in as many of the post names as possible. Where can I get this information?
3. Does anyone know of any way that I can get my hands on a gouge book (although I am assuming that this is not possible until I get to OCS)? I do have some information from the recruiter with the Big 4 etc., but want to be as prepared as possible.
4. For those who have already been in the program: What is the longest run, on average, during pt?
5. Any other general information would be appreciated.

Thanks...good fortune!

Tom

pilot
Contributor
1. Search the forum and do your own work.
2. Recruiter and internet.
3. Recruiter.
4. Average around 2.2 miles. Longest was over 3 miles.
5. Show up in shape, move fast, yell loud and don't suck.

Good luck.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Some good information. Helped me attain a better understanding of how OCS will proceed. Obviously, you can only be so prepared...I am sure there is plenty of shock and awe awaiting me if I am honored enough to be accepted. A few questions:
1. Could someone please send me a link to any threads or direct me to where I can find some real general "how to succeed in OCS information" please? I read the sticky "Confessions from a dropout", but want some information from those of you who have succeeded, because that is what I am dedicated to doing.
2. I am working on memorizing the Chain of Command, and would like to fill in as many of the post names as possible. Where can I get this information?
3. Does anyone know of any way that I can get my hands on a gouge book? I do have some information from the recruiter with the Big 4 etc., but want to be as prepared as possible.
4. For those who have already been in the program: What is the longest run, on average, during pt?
Don't make the same post in multiple threads. It tends to irritate the "natives" and be counterproductive.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't make the same post in multiple threads. It tends to irritate the "natives" and be counterproductive.

True that and first Mod on the scene will delete the dupe....shazaam, it's gone.

Reactions: Tom

nugget81

pilot
1. Search the forum and do your own work.
2. Recruiter and internet.
3. Recruiter.
4. Average around 2.2 miles. Longest was over 3 miles.
5. Show up in shape, move fast, yell loud and don't suck.

Good luck.

I concur.

Georgia Boy

My bad...I just reposted my questions as a separate thread because I wasn't sure if the questions would be answered if they were buried in this thread. Lesson learned.

phrogpilot73

My bad...I just reposted my questions as a separate thread because I wasn't sure if the questions would be answered if they were buried in this thread. Lesson learned.
"Buried" isn't even buried... Those of us who have been around for a while will simply click "New Posts" which shows us the threads with new posts in them. If we click the white arrow w/blue background to the left of the thread title - it takes us direct to the new posts.

Georgia Boy

I got a lot from this article. Just a couple of detail questions:

1. In the beginning, when the instructor gives the candidates instruction and then asks them "got that"...shouldn't they respond "Yes sir" and not "Aye sir" seeing as how it was a question and not a command?
2. When the instructor commands the recruits to tie their laces "outboard over inboard, and...tucked in with no bridges" what exactly does this look like? I have an idea, but am not sure.

Yeah...these may seem like petty detail question, but I am curious.

Thanks and good fortune

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor

1. In the beginning, when the instructor gives the candidates instruction and then asks them "got that"...shouldn't they respond "Yes sir" and not "Aye sir" seeing as how it was a question and not a command?
2. When the instructor commands the recruits to tie their laces "outboard over inboard, and...tucked in with no bridges" what exactly does this look like? I have an idea, but am not sure.

Thanks and good fortune

1. yup

2. Can't ruin the surprise! Besides, it doesn't matter if you are sh!t hot during the first week...you'll all be treated the same. Even if you knew exactly how your shoes were supposed to be laced and showed up with them already laced, when you bent down and didn't have anything to do you would be swarmed by candios instantly and berated for not making sure everyone in your group knew how to tie their shoes.

YOU CANNOT WIN AS A CANDIDATE...YOU CAN ONLY SURVIVE AND HELP YOUR CLASSMATES SURVIVE.

The whole point of the first week is that you don't know what the f**k is going on and the staff is showing you no mercy. Then, after that, you're supposed to know basically what is going on so you are REALLY shown no mercy :)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I actually know what the lacing looks like, but I'm not going to do that before the time comes because I figure that there's no point in trying to beat the system.

The whole point of the first week is that you don't know what the f**k is going on and the staff is showing you no mercy. Then, after that, you're supposed to know basically what is going on so you are REALLY shown no mercy
To quote a friend who went to VMI:

"The military loves to punish you for failing at a task which you had no way of knowing how to complete properly."

Tom

pilot
Contributor

Thanks and good fortune
In the first hours of OCS no one knows how to do much of anything right, much less understanding the differences of "aye sir" and "yes sir". Then add the pressure of someone being in your face wanting a response immediately and people start screwing everything up, like walking.

Georgia Boy

Yeah...I am starting to see a theme here. The whole "you are wrong if you are right" concept. It seems like there is a fine line to walk where you don't want to suck too hard...and you don't want to seem too cool...and then no matter what you do you will incur the wrath!

Sweet...I am stoked!!! :icon_rage

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
In the first hours of OCS no one knows how to do much of anything right, much less understanding the differences of "aye sir" and "yes sir". Then add the pressure of someone being in your face wanting a response immediately and people start screwing everything up, like walking.

It can be very fun for the candios though...

Georgia Boy

Specific OCS question

So, I understand that I am to refer to myself as "this indoctrination/officer candidate" and not "I" in OCS. Does this apply to when I am asked to recite the Code of Conduct. For example: "I am an American..." or "This officer candidate is an American...". Anyone?