• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sunglasses Regs

SlickAg

pilot
I'm going to buy some sunglasses and I wanted to know what was generally accepted as "conservative" in accordance with the Navy's uniform regulations. Tortoise shell or plain black frames, plastic as opposed to metal, etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here in the Persian Gulf, Oakleys are okay as the sun is pretty intense all the time.

Just some common sense can avoid a problem with sunglasses.

Feel out the command first and see what most people are wearing before trying to sport Sherpa Glacier Glasses in a flight suit.
r/
G

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Every command that I have been to has been perfectly fine with black sunglasses with black (not mirrored) lenses.

I personally wear Black E-wire oakleys.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing but the finest silver oakley M frames and blue lenses for me.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
Every command that I have been to has been perfectly fine with black sunglasses with black (not mirrored) lenses.

That's because that's regulation. Hard not to be fine with it... though there are some morons out there.

phrogpilot73

VarmintShooter said:
Just so you know, Oakley will give active duty folks 50% off ... if you need more info PM me.

It's true - I have a pair of Oakley FMJ 5.56 Half Jackets with Black Iridium lenses that I got from them for $65!

As for regs - it was said before, it's all about command climate. I've never had anyone say anything about the sunglasses I wear. Now if you show up with a pair of Blades on, someone might say something if you wear it to the PX, but I guarantee no one will say a thing if you wear them to/from the flightline...

zuggerat

any one seen the new crosshairs? theyre really nice looking

4223a1da01ff8.jpg_0_0_0.jpg

crap, sorry its so big

Aeolos

I know in the Marine Corps if there is any chance of being seen on the news or photographed then the glasses are not supposed to have any brand names displayed. Oakley sells pairs of their sun glasses with subdued brand names special for service members. Other than that, nothing eccentric while in uniform.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Aeolos: "I know in the Marine Corps if there is any chance of being seen on the news or photographed then the glasses are not supposed to have any brand names displayed. Oakley sells pairs of their sun glasses with subdued brand names special for service members. Other than that, nothing eccentric while in uniform."

There is a set of Oakleys in the supply system. Be nice to your suppo.

phrogpilot73

feddoc said:
Aeolos: "I know in the Marine Corps if there is any chance of being seen on the news or photographed then the glasses are not supposed to have any brand names displayed. Oakley sells pairs of their sun glasses with subdued brand names special for service members. Other than that, nothing eccentric while in uniform."

There is a set of Oakleys in the supply system. Be nice to your suppo.

You're sh!tting me, right? What model is it and do you have the NSN? I'm sure I can bribe some of our flight E guys with beer...

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
You're sh!tting me, right? What model is it and do you have the NSN? I'm sure I can bribe some of our flight E guys with beer...

Nope, as an example the folks on the pool deck at Miramar swim/phys have them (they have an outside pool). I will work on the NSN tomorrow.

phrogpilot73

feddoc said:
Nope, as an example the folks on the pool deck at Miramar swim/phys have them (they have an outside pool). I will work on the NSN tomorrow.
If you can get it for me, I would forever be in your debt... In return, do you want the NSN for a David Clark H10-60? They're consumables by the way...

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Speaking of an H10-60, I had a standing deal with my RPPO before I transferred to aviation....make a Hornet show up on the pier with delivery to the CO of the ship and you'll never have to work another day while I'm your divo. Damn thing never did show up.