• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sunglasses Regs

nugget81

pilot
Does anyone know about the Maui Jim Sport Titanium Waileas? They're rimless/hingeless, polarized, and only weigh 11 grams. I'm hoping to keep them once I get in...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nugget-
I had a pair of Sport Titaniums... I loved them. They lasted me for a good long time until I dropped them in the water in Honolulu. Damn. I might cough up so dough and get another pair. The only downside I felt was that you couldn't hang them from your flightsuit. Then again, I suppose that's good for appearance that you're not able to do that. Keep em!

PS. Side note: I have been disappointed by the stainless steel sport glasses by MJ. Mine are rimless and already have three cracks near the spots where the lenses attach to the frame. I still wear them though; too poor to buy any more right now.

nugget81

pilot
Yeah, I've had the same problems for the last 3 years. I just keep sending them back to Maui Jim with a letter about "how disappointed I am in the performance of such a high quality pair of sunglasses." I get a new pair every time. I like them too much to give them up!

trvsmrtn

pilot
bch said:
Every command that I have been to has been perfectly fine with black sunglasses with black (not mirrored) lenses.

Fly Navy said:
That's because that's regulation. Hard not to be fine with it... though there are some morons out there.

The black sunglasses with black non-mirrored lenses is no longer the regulation. It changed a few years ago. Now the uniform regs just say "conservative sunglasses are permitted". Of course the definition of conservative is going to change from command to command. Just make sure they look professional. If they look good with your civies, but when you put them on with your uniform, you look like an assclown, don't wear them.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
trvsmrtn said:
The black sunglasses with black non-mirrored lenses is no longer the regulation. It changed a few years ago. Now the uniform regs just say "conservative sunglasses are permitted". Of course the definition of conservative is going to change from command to command. Just make sure they look professional. If they look good with your civies, but when you put them on with your uniform, you look like an assclown, don't wear them.

The aviator sunglasses are reg and they still look like a$$...check with your command...

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
jamnww said:
The aviator sunglasses are reg and they still look like a$$...check with your command...

the issued ones, yes, but rayban aviators are bada$$ and are about to make a major comeback.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
A buddy told me that no one wears the rayban aviators anymore and that those who do get ragged for it. Is this true, and if so why. Just not trendy enough or what?

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
FlyingBeagle said:
A buddy told me that no one wears the rayban aviators anymore and that those who do get ragged for it. Is this true, and if so why. Just not trendy enough or what?

your buddy must be a hater :icon_tong I say raybans are schweet

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nocal80 said:
your buddy must be a hater :icon_tong I say raybans are schweet

Agreed. But then again, some people can pull them off, some people look like jackasses.

B

Blutonski816

zab1001 said:
Agreed. But then again, some people can pull them off, some people look like jackasses.

Too true... I've seen ppl with really small heads who tried wearing 'em an they look like big ole bug eyes...
I, on the other hand have a really big head and sport RB aviators and have received nothing but props from people... :)

what I find really cool, though is the Shades-under the helmet look...
like this harrier guy with his reflective ray-bans....

Attachments

• RBharrier.jpg
    RBharrier.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 228

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Ok, I've decided to buy some rayban aviators to cover up the cavernous pits that my eyeballs hang out in. I thought that it would be pretty simple to pick a pair of gold aviators, but they didn't have many in the NEX and I got overwhelmed looking at raybans website. You guys have any suggestions for me to look into? Is there any particular lens that is the best? Do you guys like the ones where the ear pieces are straight back or the ones that curve and go behind your ears? Also, what's the deal with those ones that have the plastic bar over the nose? is that supposed to keep them from slipping off or something? I'm just looking for a good place to start

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I buy all my Ray Ban stuff from eBay. They don't make some models anymore (i.e. full size classic aviators with different tinted lenses), and it's much easier to find 'em there. They ain't cheap, BTW.

winger

FNG
These guys know what they are talking about. I rock the Ray-Ban Aviator L 004/58's. they are classic and understated, not to mention polarized. Some bastardized civilian versions are intended to make you look like some non-lottery-winning slack-ass Kevin Federline washout. However, if you find the right ones for your face, even your instructors will be commenting on your timeless style. Happened to me multiple times.

S/F

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are (or were) a set of Ray-ban aviators which were made for those with smaller heads. They're virtually never carried in stock though; you'd probably have to order them. I got them to keep from having the "bug-eye" look and had'em for like 3 years.