• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Super Hornet Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
ENSsquid said:
unfortunately the way things are written the AF will not give up their claim to the warthog. I wonder what the possibilities of adding a tailhook and trying to get them on and off of a big deck w/o cats. i also wonder what adding folding wings to the frame would do for surviveability.

ever hear the saying, "you can turn a navy plane into an air force plane but not the other way around"

TANGO 1

Contributor
You know what, i wonder how an AF pilot skill level will stand to any Naval Aviator. They launch from about 200 miles from object on land bases far away from any threat possible compare that to landing a hornet on a carrier at night. Naval Aviators are the Shiz nizt, i don't care what anyone tells you. Offcourse there are some Airforce pilots with something in them, but you cannot comapre that to the BUNCH.

Gat to love it

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Look man, please for your sake and the rest of us. Find some facts b4 you vomit uniformed theories and thoughts up here man. The reason a -16 can't take off after recovering aboard the boat with the BARRICADE (if it ever happened in the first place.) is not becuase of the lack of a launch bar, it is becuase IT CRASHED INTO THE BARRICADE AT 130+ kts. We are talking about MAJOR stresses on an airframe.

Your enthusiasm is great man, but chill a bit and do a sanity check on some of your posts.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TANGO 1 said:
Have you ever seen a landing gear on a 14 and compare that to the one on a 15. I can wrap my hand around the landing gear of an f-16. They tried landing some 16's on carriers during the first golf war and they landing them into the net, but then they could not take off not because they did not have a launch bar, but because the impact of landing affected the airframe greatly.

I actually went to f16.net and looked at every mishap report during the first Gulf War, and there is no mention of any F-16 on a carrier. Someone is yanking your chain. I do thin there was a JAG epsidoe similar to that scenario once...terrible show...

TANGO 1

Contributor
lol, well An F-16 landing on a carrier because it cannot make it to home base will not sure on mishap report. That is problem with the mission. The F-16's were out of fuel and they had to land

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Come on, thats the kind of story that would be all over every F-16 site ever. And every F-16 jock I've met would try to bring it up when the inevitable "navy vs. air force" argument comes up. It's still considered a big deal that a C-130 did it in the 60's. I'm telling you, it didn't happen. But for your sake, we'll even create a thread for it.

TANGO 1

Contributor
lol, i wish we could. Because i have heard it from 2 source, one is a D.C Air national Guard pilot who was a Lt. during the first desert storm

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The first "golf war?" Was that held on the green at Augusta National? The cammie pattern was plaid, right?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
TANGO 1 said:
lol, well An F-16 landing on a carrier because it cannot make it to home base will not sure on mishap report. That is problem with the mission. The F-16's were out of fuel and they had to land

Question: Now, I'm no aviator, and I dont know how they think... but it against my judgement, that if I was in such a small aircraft and low on fuel... I wouldn't be heading out into the middle of the ocean, to find a carrier that I've never landed on, and do it for the first time low on fuel. And wasn't there ample tanker support?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
VetteMuscle427 said:
Question: Now, I'm no aviator, and I dont know how they think... but it against my judgement, that if I was in such a small aircraft and low on fuel... I wouldn't be heading out into the middle of the ocean, to find a carrier that I've never landed on, and do it for the first time low on fuel. And wasn't there ample tanker support?

exactly

however, sometimes, shiznit happens and you can't tank, but I sure as hell wouldn't be flying out into the middle of the ocean low on gas

TANGO 1

Contributor
well, you have to ask the aviator what his options were. Offcouse it was bad planning to start with, that he did not have enough fuel, but then the decision to ditch an aircraft in such a situation would not be based on your top-gun thinking. Offcourse he must have called home base and then they must have liasoned with the carrier commander. Then there might not have been a tanker at the present moment.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
TANGO 1 said:
well, you have to ask the aviator what his options were. Offcouse it was bad planning to start with, that he did not have enough fuel, but then the decision to ditch an aircraft in such a situation would not be based on your top-gun thinking. Offcourse he must have called home base and then they must have liasoned with the carrier commander. Then there might not have been a tanker at the present moment.

Someone join in... how many aircraft are on a deck? 10? 20? put multiple NAVY aircraft at risk for an Air Force F-16? I dont see that happening... and that is assuming that it is even physically possible!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
there is a whole thread about this in the war zone...vote now!

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
VetteMuscle427 said:
Someone join in... how many aircraft are on a deck? 10? 20? put multiple NAVY aircraft at risk for an Air Force F-16? I dont see that happening... and that is assuming that it is even physically possible!

there's nothing physically impossible bout an F-16 taking the barricade. however, they would probably just wind up pushing the thing over the side afterwards anyways

if that's the case, just tell his prissiness to eject near the side

then again, he wouldn't want to get his scarf all wet, now would he :p

Status
Not open for further replies.