• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Supreme Court Backs No-Knock Police Searches

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dalamara said:
If you can afford an SUV, you can afford a hybrid.
Hold up. My money is my money (and my wive's of course). It is not yours. It is not your friends, your mom's, and it certainly isn't the government's. I don't want to drive a hybrid. I want to drive my Yukon. Yea, I pay for it at the pump. But I accept that as a consequence to my decision. I don't need someone telling me what I can afford or what I can't afford. That's a fairly dangerous philosophy to be tossing around, IMO.

Dalamara

If you can afford and SUV, you can afford a hybrid.

Steve, I made this statement to illustrate the fact that if Americans wanted to, they could easily reduce our consumption of oil.

I think the average Joe drives somewhere around 15,000 miles a year...

On 10 MPG vehicle that's 1500 gallons at $2.50 a gallon = $3,750

On a 40 MPG vehicle that's 375 gallons = $937.50

That's $2,812.50 a year that COULD be saved. Now yes, it's your money, do whatever you like with it, but the more we burn up now, the more we pay for it down the road.

If a million people switched from SUVs to Hybrid's that would save us 2.8 Billion in one year on energy costs. What is bad about this? Why do I get so much anger when I mention "gas conservation"? It just makes logical sense to me.

MasterBates

The anger is that some people would force this on us if they could.

All my vehicles, aside from my Motorcycle and boat are Diesel. But that is my CHOICE and I like them. I am not a tree hugger. I am not rich. Therefore, I buy what makes sense for me.

The $3000 extra for my wife's Jetta TDi has almost paid itself back in the year I have owned it in fuel cost alone. She was putting $100 a week in her truck. Now $35. She would still be putting in $60 a week with the gas version. Then factor in it goes 10k between oil changes. And will likely live 2-3x as long as a gas engine.

My old truck is a 86 GMC K1500. It gets 18-20 on the hiway. A comparable gas truck would get 10-12. (based off of same year)

My new truck is a 99 F-250. Also a diesel. More useful power than any gas engine available that year (yeah, the gassers have more peak HP, but less useable power). Have not had it long enough to give a 100% report on fuel economy, but 16-22 is the normal range. Being a 2WD Stick shift, probably closer to the 20-22 range.

But the key is these were my CHOICE. And I give nothing up in comort, or having unproven tech, unlike a Hybrid.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dalamara said:
Steve, I made this statement to illustrate the fact that if Americans wanted to, they could easily reduce our consumption of oil.
I agree, but not by driving hybrids. Decreasing the consumption of oil has been talked about in another thread.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=227305#post227305

Why do I get so much anger when I mention "gas conservation"? It just makes logical sense to me.
Just seems you think the answer is driving a hybrid and that those of us driving SUV's should drive a hybrid instead.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dalamara said:
If a million people switched from SUVs to Hybrid's that would save us 2.8 Billion in one year on energy costs. What is bad about this? Why do I get so much anger when I mention "gas conservation"? It just makes logical sense to me.

The anger, like said by MasterBates, is that your line of questioning and thinking goes down the road of forcing people to comply. That's when you're going to run into trouble, especially because many groups would love to impose their will on the American public.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You will comply and you will like it, damn it.

BTW, why has this thread generated into a discussion on oil and gasoline? Get back on topic, people.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
You will comply and you will like it, damn it.

BTW, why has this thread generated into a discussion on oil and gasoline? Get back on topic, people.

It's the AW trend... no thread shall remain on topic.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MasterBates said:
On TheHighRoad, I am a killer of threads.

Apparently on here, my ADD shows more and I just cause thread drift.

I haven't been on TheHighRoad in a long time. Good forum. I remember when it used to be TheFiringLine.

MasterBates

TFL is back online. I am Thumper723 over at most other forums.

Outside of AirWarriors, I think my callsign would be misinterpreted.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dalamara said:
So, cutting our fuel consumption down to the point where we wouldn't have to rely on importing oil from the Middle East wouldn't help things a bit? Please explain the logic in this.

Like you said China and India are rapidly upping their demand for oil. So does it make sense for us to also continue to drive up the market when we have alternatives?

Basically you're saying "It's okay for us to waste oil because China and India waste more". Come on dude.

If you can afford and SUV, you can afford a hybrid.
This is like saying, "Gee, it would be swell if Santa Clause slid down my chimney this Christmas and brought forth a multitude of lovely gifts." What possible reason would people have to give up their SUVs? They buy and operate them at a higher expense because they like them and can afford to do so. Wagging your finger at people isn't a very persuasive method of changing people's minds. Until they make a hybrid that costs and performs the same as my SUV, I'm not going to buy one. What you call waste, I call living my life - It's all subjective. We're not exactly running out of oil anyway, so who cares?

Brett

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
MasterBates said:
Outside of AirWarriors, I think my callsign would be misinterpreted.

Nooooooooooooo...

How could your callsign be misinterpreted? :p

MasterBates

Full nametag before PC bullship hit the wing.
CASEY "MASTER" BATES
BULL ENSIGN HSL-42

New nametag

MASTER

Thats it. In about 1/2" tall letters.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MasterBates said:
Full nametag before PC bullship hit the wing.
CASEY "MASTER" BATES
BULL ENSIGN HSL-42

New nametag

MASTER

Thats it. In about 1/2" tall letters.

You're still an Ensign? damn.

MasterBates

No, but I was the first Ensign since NAVCADS here

Made LT in Jan (supposed to be Oct, but they fooked the message up)