• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-2

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Love the T-2C. Of course I'm biased being that I CQ'ed in that little bad boy in VT-4.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
T-2 doesn't have a radar anyway. All the NFO radar training is done in T-39s (last I checked anyway).

Brett

Nothing changed there. They just use the T-2's to make the SNFO's used to being in a 'tactical-type' jet (that is for everyone else, I don't think Brett has forgotten that much yet :icon_tong )

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Hey lets weigh this thing down even more, so it holds even less gas! And WTF do we need color MFD's for? So the whopping 10 waypoints we can load will be all pretty and color coded? If they wanna make the thing more useful, put it on a diet, stuff more gas in it (external gas maybe?), and get it RVSM compliant. Leave the RADAR training for SNA's to the RAG.

Or better yet... finish the SASS upgrades, get FADEC on the engine (and the newly designed intakes)... and put some money into getting the on-line schedule actually working for once. DAMN!

If the whopping 10 waypoints could actually come from a GPS database and let us shoot GPS approaches . . . wish in one hand and the whole nine yards, I know. And as for gas, the T-45 is drop-tank capable. Look in your Aircraft Fuel System foldout in the back of NATOPS. The Navy just never bought any drop tanks for it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
If the whopping 10 waypoints could actually come from a GPS database and let us shoot GPS approaches . . . wish in one hand and the whole nine yards, I know.

Boeing is working on this actually. And the Navy better get with the GPS program, because the FAA is way ahead of them.

And as for gas, the T-45 is drop-tank capable. Look in your Aircraft Fuel System foldout in the back of NATOPS. The Navy just never bought any drop tanks for it.

Yeah, they figured the added drag though would nullify the added gas.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Boeing is working on this actually. And the Navy better get with the GPS program, because the FAA is way ahead of them.
No kidding. In 10 years students are going to be saying "you shot the High-WHAT? What's a radial?"

/*Just out of BIs and royally sick of every partial panel variation on the MEI HI-TACAN B*/

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nugget81 said:
Are you guys required to shoot NDB approaches or DME arcs?

Only plane I've ever flown with an ADF is a Cessna. T-34 and T-45 do not have them.

Yes, DME arcs all the time, which is REALLY easy with a HSI or RMI.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Boeing? The FAA? Hi-What's? Radials? Bearing? Timing an approach?

You'll still be doing ADF's and various VOR approaches for some time to come if you fly overseas ... try flying an ADF to minimums in a 747 sometime --- it's a quick way to get religious. It's hard to believe, but we do degraded and non-precision approaches regularly --- and it DOES sharpen your basic instrument skills.

Never say never .... :)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You havent lived unitl you had to shoot a frozen RMI NDB approach.... and how is that going to benefit me later on in the fleet?

Needle all bouncing and sh!t.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
skidkid said:
You havent lived unitl you had to shoot a frozen RMI NDB approach.... and how is that going to benefit me later on in the fleet?
It won't ... unless, one supposes, you have a frozen RMI and an NDB is the only approach facility available. BUT ... you may have to do it if you get your advanced FAA ratings. I had to do one of those on my FAA ATP initial-checkride .... I was amazed at how "wired" I was and how well it worked. Comparatively speaking, everything else was easy after that ... :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
No kidding. In 10 years students are going to be saying "you shot the High-WHAT? What's a radial?"

/*Just out of BIs and royally sick of every partial panel variation on the MEI HI-TACAN B*/
There's no GPS approach to USS Boat. I can't speak for other platforms, but in the Prowler, despite a very nice embedded GPS nav system, you can't shoot a GPS approach. I suspect that that's standard in TACAIR. Plus, that knowledge of radials is going to come in handy when you're trying to figure out where marshall is. :D

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
.....Plus, that knowledge of radials is going to come in handy when you're trying to figure out where marshall is. :D
Brett
Absolutely ... and holding/timing/EFC's/push-times in general ... we hold ALL THE TIME in civie street aviation. Amazing how "rough" holding procedures were for most of us in the military, and how precise it is --- 'cause it has to be --- in the airlines.

Oh, by the way ... loved the T-2, especially in form and the gun pattern. Piece of cake airplane to fly ...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm glad A4s mentioned Holding. I remember a lot of the P-3/Helo primary instructors saying that holding is something you do in the training command but hardly ever in real life. I'm not knocking them, but in carrier aviation holding is a part of every single time you come back to the boat whether it be overhead or in a marshall stack. Now on the different side of things, what kind of nav suites does each a/c have? (current us navy)