• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-2

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Continued threadajck, the Cobras got a TACAN and that is it, all the other black boxes are dedicated to killing people and breaking their stuff.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kmac said:
Now on the different side of things, what kind of nav suites does each a/c have? (current us navy)
To amplify my previous post. Prowler has dual independant/redundant enbedded GPS ring laser gyro systems. The things are pretty amazing and rarely cause any trouble, especially compared to the old moving mass INS (CAINS) system of just a few years ago. Worst case scenario, you could take off with the thing turned off, do an inflight allignment, and have a gnats @ss solution within a couple minutes. Can update off of TACAN, radar or visually, but never need to because the system continually updates off the GPS. Whole thing is interfaced with a pretty standard (from what I've seen in some other A/C) FMS type unit (which is also used to control the radios, radar cursor, and HARM systems). Can access/use all the standard FAA navaids/fixes as well as upload a set of user defined points for operational stuff/boundary points for area management, all of which can be displayed "map mode" in the front seat. Other than that, TACAN/VOR/ILS/ACLS/Bullseye. Used to have ADF until they replaced it with IDM for our laptop. 3x U/VHF (sometimes 4th W/ USQ-113), HF, and a b!tchin' scanner to listen to tunes.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kmac said:
I remember a lot of the P-3/Helo primary instructors saying that holding is something you do in the training command but hardly ever in real life.

That's because they didn't have a clue in hell of how the TacAir side worked. Not knocking them, but it REALLY irked me when people from one community would knock another community without knowing anything about it, when you have students who aren't quite sure what they want to fly. Helo guys were the worst, they were a mafia of "Jets suck, blah blah blah". P-3 guys tended to be ok.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett:

Help me out so I don't have to look it up .... was the laser ring gyro installation slated for the A-6F or did the later model A-6E's have it ??? Last thing I can remember is when CAINS was really new and nice ..... thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Brett:

Help me out so I don't have to look it up .... was the laser ring gyro installation slated for the A-6F or did the later model A-6E's have it ??? Last thing I can remember is when CAINS was really new and nice ..... thanks.
We would have to ask Meat about the A-6 stuff, but since the RLGs are just a few years old in the Prowler fleet, I would be surprised if the Es had 'em. On the other hand, RLG technology is not that new, so anything's possible. Glad I could further muddy the waters ;)

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hey, thanks .... just talked to one of the former A-12 program managers and he "illuminated" me with his RLG. It was not in any A-6 models, even the -F and the -G (the cheap -F) ... but it was planned for the A-12.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Punk said:
Brett, I know about the T-39, but this was something that Boeing plans to add down the line. They want to simulate both A/A and A/G radar modes in the T-45. Obviously this is for both SNA and SNFO. If it actually happens (gets funding) or if it works within the next 5 years is something else entirely.

I dunno... one of the nice things in advanced about the T-39N was that we were being instructed by other NFOs... you go to the T-45 with some radar, you take away that element...

The T-2? Ugh... I was so spoiled by all the bright and shiny things in the cockpit of the T-6 and the T-1... what the hell is this? No EHSI? No VHF? How does this stupid CDI thing work? Where's my air-conditioning? :(

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
I dunno... one of the nice things in advanced about the T-39N was that we were being instructed by other NFOs... you go to the T-45 with some radar, you take away that element...

The T-2? Ugh... I was so spoiled by all the bright and shiny things in the cockpit of the T-6 and the T-1... what the hell is this? No EHSI? No VHF? How does this stupid CDI thing work? Where's my air-conditioning? :(

It's called flying a real plane :icon_smil (or in our case navigating one). You kids and your crazy gadgets..... ;)