• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Tesla Autopilot and similar automated driving systems get poor rating from prominent safety group

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Putting in the gas makes the needle move that way, obviously.
It was honestly humbling to know major nerd knowledge of the airframe I flew and not know this simple fact about cars....I feel like the API/NIFE of driver ed...whatever they call it now...let me down.😆

Random8145

It was honestly humbling to know major nerd knowledge of the airframe I flew and not know this simple fact about cars....I feel like the API/NIFE of driver ed...whatever they call it now...let me down.😆
I never noticed that about the fuel symbol either until just now.

Random8145

How do you plan to pass the solid wall of cars that is going right about 55 right in front of you as you head south on I-5? The PNW remains the only place in the world I've been where it seems like a majority of folks regularly drive under the speed limit on the highway. The most maddening thing though was the rolling roadblocks of folks going 55 ± 2mph on 95 as I headed south or north, which I ran into at least half the time I headed to Seattle or Vancouver.
He'll activate this feature if he's had an aftermarket installation:

Artheist.jpg
Also where will he get the fuel?

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
How do you plan to pass the solid wall of cars that is going right about 55 right in front of you as you head south on I-5? The PNW remains the only place in the world I've been where it seems like a majority of folks regularly drive under the speed limit on the highway. The most maddening thing though was the rolling roadblocks of folks going 55 ± 2mph on 95 as I headed south or north, which I ran into at least half the time I headed to Seattle or Vancouver.

Fair point. It is quite maddening now. My only hope is that whatever algorithm the car swarms adopt allows for efficient and courteous left lane vacating. But of course, there will be no incentive for the bots to speed, so yeah, it'll be worse than PDX to Olympia, where the idiots are battling over who can "win" the race between going 60 and 62, then slowing down 10 mph on the uphill stretches, in a posted 70 mph zone. I think I just stroked out thinking about it

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
My Tesla received the updated AI based software stack and revamped Full Self Driving automation.

Its legit. Incredible.

I've watched the system handle squirrely surface roads, roundabouts, busy interstates, challenging merges = all better than I could as a driver. AND freeing me from the soul crushing drudgery of driving, specifically of being concerned about other cars and drivers.

Highly recommended.

Its far more advanced than anyone - especially mainstream press is reporting.

PXL_20240510_183115897.jpg

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
My Tesla received the updated AI based software stack and revamped Full Self Driving automation.

Its legit. Incredible.

I've watched the system handle squirrely surface roads, roundabouts, busy interstates, challenging merges = all better than I could as a driver. AND freeing me from the soul crushing drudgery of driving, specifically of being concerned about other cars and drivers.

Highly recommended.

View attachment 40523
So... you use the turn signal to cancel if you DON'T want to change lanes?

Does that sound messed up from a human factors standpoint to anyone else? Just me? OK, I'll show myself out, via soul crushing drudgery in my primitive hoi polloi vehicle.

Enjoy your subscription-based "ownership" and planned obsolescence.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Its legit. Incredible.

Highly recommended.

View attachment 40523
I totally get that it makes driving easier and think the technology aspect is pretty cool, but is driving really that tedious for you? I legitimately like to drive (obviously aside from being stuck in traffic).

Also, what about the system frees you from having to be concerned about other cars and drivers? Legitimately not trying to be a jerk, but it’s not infallible, right?

ChuckMK23

pilot
I totally get that it makes driving easier and think the technology aspect is pretty cool, but is driving really that tedious for you? I legitimately like to drive (obviously aside from being stuck in traffic).

Also, what about the system frees you from having to be concerned about other cars and drivers? Legitimately not trying to be a jerk, but it’s not infallible, right?
Obviously being inflammatory here - but the system is amazing.

However the system does permit you to relax, "space out" a bit and not be too concerned with the detail of operating a vehicle. On my 75 mile (each way) commute - this is welcome. The fact that the vehicle will change lanes automagically - based on a variety of factors( someone faster behind you, a lane closure up ahead, being at a speed where staying in the passing lane would be bad, etc) - is especially nice.

Tesla is collecting data at incredible scale and updating the neural/machine learning model almost daily at this point. I'm sure I will find some corner cases at some point. But so far, the system is very confidence inspiring.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

pilot
So... you use the turn signal to cancel if you DON'T want to change lanes?

Does that sound messed up from a human factors standpoint to anyone else? Just me? OK, I'll show myself out, via soul crushing drudgery in my primitive hoi polloi vehicle.

Enjoy your subscription-based "ownership" and planned obsolescence.
Fair points.

On another social media platform, my old next door neighbor at Whiting Pines (now a retired O-6) poked me in the eye with a comment that his Toyota T100 truck he purchased new in 1992 is still going strong at 375,000 miles. And he has a working AM radio!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Fair points.

On another social media platform, my old next door neighbor at Whiting Pines (now a retired O-6) poked me in the eye with a comment that his Toyota T100 truck he purchased new in 1992 is still going strong at 375,000 miles. And he has a working AM radio!

Does anyone actually broadcast on AM radio any more? I haven't even seen those "tune in for traffic update" signs in a while.

Regarding the subscription thing- it's a seriously understated scary trend. I could easily see a future where you don't even own the damn car- just an OEM lease, with add-on fees for every button in the car. Stop paying, and the heated seats or parking assist will stop working, or maybe the vehicle will lock you out and auto-drive itself to the nearest dealer to be recycled to the next sucker debt slave customer. "You will own nothing and be happy"

No thanks.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Does anyone actually broadcast on AM radio any more? I haven't even seen those "tune in for traffic update" signs in a while.

Regarding the subscription thing- it's a seriously understated scary trend. I could easily see a future where you don't even own the damn car- just an OEM lease, with add-on fees for every button in the car. Stop paying, and the heated seats or parking assist will stop working, or maybe the vehicle will lock you out and auto-drive itself to the nearest dealer to be recycled to the next sucker debt slave customer. "You will own nothing and be happy"

No thanks.
Toyota, Mercedes, and BMW have discovered the magic of charging recurring fees to access features already built into the car. It is a ridiculous trend agreed.