• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
If you have to "think" a break .... you probably should not be doing it. You are not a "natural" ......

Some of you boys are REALLY constipated in your attitudes .... just do it .... :)

hey, its the new navy

and we have your generation to thank for ruining it for the rest of us ;)

petescheu

I know a guy that entered a split S from 20k' at above 1.23M. At bullseye nose low he realized what was going on, was unable to get less than military power, and had to make a split second decision. he knew that ejecting would either kill him or leave him so jacked up he wouldn't want to live, so he pressed the paddle switch, over stressed the jet and scooped it out about 2K'.

He lose his wings for that one?

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
He lose his wings for that one?

nope, pulled 9.2 though. The swiss fly the hornet to 9Gs all day long.

that mil lockout isn't talked about much, and I'd be willing to bet there are a pile of Hornet guys flying that don't know about it, or just don't remember it.

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
Half way through a cruise even a junior nugget(which I was) can develop the neccessary skills to snap one off at the round down around 400 KTS and still fly a solid fair with a hopeful upgrade. Most of the time youre a wingman anyway and are breaking well aft so it doesnt matter, another moo point as the cow would say.

It's easier to break at the stern or bow than .5 upwind, and why are you breaking "aft" of the ship if you're a wingman, or a lead for that matter?

petescheu

nope, pulled 9.2 though. The swiss fly the hornet to 9Gs all day long.

that mil lockout isn't talked about much, and I'd be willing to bet there are a pile of Hornet guys flying that don't know about it, or just don't remember it.

Yeah the Swiss can't fold their wings though as I'm sure you know. 9.2 can't be that fun; that's a nice Case III overstress right there baby... that must have been a boatload of beer for Maint.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
9.2 can't be that fun...
But it sure as hell beats a supersonic ejection. I have an image of all four extremities being instantly torn off leaving nothing but a bloody, four-stumped torso behind. Bad times. I think the Russians have some experience with that.

Brett

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
they showed us a video in api or djets or something, where a super/transonic tomcat flying low over the boat (or just a boat) had a catastrophic bleed valve failure resulting in an ejection. Those guys made it I was told.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you've seen the Discovery Channel show "Supercarrier" (and I'm sure we all have), there was a scene that looked just like that, but from the deck of the carrier. I believe their deployment was at that time, as well. Is this the same one?

And now that I re-look at the date, I notice it's -213. I guess this is yet another of the mishaps they were having at about this time.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read somewhere that the 'Break' was started to minimize the time behind the boat when landing, reducing the time that the aircraft was vulnerable to attack and reducing the time to bring several aircraft onto the carrier. (I did not see that specific explanation in this thread). That explanation can certainly stand the test of time back to the '30's (before Manpads;) ).

As for a real break, taking a bird to depot and doing a break over the destination airfield is the best 'Break' I ever had. G-limits, what G- limits?.....:icon_smil

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
I read somewhere that the 'Break' was started to minimize the time behind the boat when landing, reducing the time that the aircraft was vulnerable to attack and reducing the time to bring several aircraft onto the carrier. (I did not see that specific explanation in this thread). That explanation can certainly stand the test of time back to the '30's (before Manpads;) ).
Yep, heard the same thing re: minimizing approach time and getting into friendly gun range should there be trailers looking for easy kills.

Jedj

It's easier to break at the stern or bow than .5 upwind, and why are you breaking "aft" of the ship if you're a wingman, or a lead for that matter?

I meant forward, are you a shoe? And I would argue that breaking .5 upwind is a lot easier than snapping off a sh*t hot at the round down, even in a five wet! It takes practice and a little dedication to expand your skills behind the boat. Dont take this the wrong way, but if you think a simple break is dangerous then the rest of the stuff we do must scare you to death?

Status
Not open for further replies.