• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
I doubt they would have a stud do an airshow flyby but I think what ea6b meant was that studs do fly syllabus flights in the t-45. It is true that vt squadrons are basically entirely staffed by contract civilians for things like maintenance and admin

I don't think I worded my original question very well. I understand that those are TRACOM birds. I just figured that with IP's doing the flying and an empty back seat that it could be a great opportunity for the incentive/job-well-done flights. However I was not aware that all maintenance in the VTs is contract.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Approaching airshow center from this mornings 4 plane fly-by:

photo15.jpg
I'll see about posting a few of my photos later, just got home about 2 hours ago.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I don't think I worded my original question very well. I understand that those are TRACOM birds. I just figured that with IP's doing the flying and an empty back seat that it could be a great opportunity for the incentive/job-well-done flights. However I was not aware that all maintenance in the VTs is contract.

I know in HS when we do a good deal flight for a reenlistment, etc., we are not allowed to do anything else besides single-ship pattern stuff ( no autos) and some scenic flying. The last thing you need if something bad happened and then trying to defend flying a non-pilot in the cockpit hen you had a bird strike, hard landing, etc. To the mishap board.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
I know in HS when we do a good deal flight for a reenlistment, etc., we are not allowed to do anything else besides single-ship pattern stuff ( no autos) and some scenic flying. The last thing you need if something bad happened and then trying to defend flying a non-pilot in the cockpit hen you had a bird strike, hard landing, etc. To the mishap board.

Makes sense. Thanks for the answer.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The last thing you need if something bad happened and then trying to defend flying a non-pilot in the cockpit when you had a bird strike, hard landing, etc. To the mishap board.

Back in my day, the CO could authorize a non-pilot/enlisted to fly in the back seat of a 2-seat jet, provided they were physiologically qualified (for jets, altitude chamber & "OMIAS" card for ejection seat trainer). If an incident/accident happened to occur, there would be no need to justify the presence of the authorized non-pilot passenger to the mishap board. Justifying other actions which may have contributed to an incident/mishap, is another matter.
BzB

Status
Not open for further replies.