• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Here are a couple of photos from one of the most impressive museum exhibits I've ever seen. The U-505 exhibit at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry is truly epic. If you go, spend the extra money to get the walk through tour. Admission is free for military and vets, and the add on tour is half price.

1000012443.jpg1000012441.jpg1000012437.jpg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Here are a couple of photos from one of the most impressive museum exhibits I've ever seen. The U-505 exhibit at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry is truly epic. If you go, spend the extra money to get the walk through tour. Admission is free for military and vets, and the add on tour is half price.

View attachment 40724View attachment 40725View attachment 40726
Absolutely! There is also a new book out called “Code Name Nemo” about the effort. The whole story is amazing.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor

I grew up in central Illinois in the '50's-'60's and I remember our family taking a trip into Chicago specifically to go to the Museum of Science and Industry when I was in grade school. Back then, the U-505 sat outside the museum, and general admission included being able to walk through the sub. It was impressive to me then, as were the various aircraft suspended from the ceiling of the great hall.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I grew up in central Illinois in the '50's-'60's and I remember our family taking a trip into Chicago specifically to go to the Museum of Science and Industry when I was in grade school. Back then, the U-505 sat outside the museum, and general admission included being able to walk through the sub. It was impressive to me then, as were the various aircraft suspended from the ceiling of the great hall.
One of the parts of the exhibit shows how they built the exhibit and how they moved the U-505 into it's new home. It was a pretty impressive feat.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Navy UH-34D assigned to Naval Support Activity Saigon, 1969.

448249477_10161617496384583_1297442514917438032_n.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
You failed to mention the Sea Wolves Hueuy.
I think most of us are aware of the lineage and history of HAL-3 - but the lesser known Naval Aviation presence of NSA Saigon, I found super interesting. At its height it was basically a "VC-1" type squadron flying a mix of piston and turbine fixed wing and helos. And some of the first Navy H-46's were serving with NSA Saigon. The fact that the H-34 stayed in service into 1970 with operational Navy units is also interesting.