• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^Great pics....those J-79s look like they're burning coal...
Great avatar too... My Grandpop on my Mom's side was the tailgunner/radioman in an SBD off a jeep carrier and he was shot down by a Zeke over Rabaul.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Action today at NTU

Reserve Prowler(s), departing

AF502.jpg

Prowlers-2.jpg

Blue Blasters

BlueBlaster.jpg

BlueBlasters.jpg

HJ Photos

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 21 Oct 2008

NATTC_A4.jpg

Back before it was VT-86 (5 June 1972), most NFOs were trained at what was known as NATTC Glynco (P-3 and C-130 guys went to Corpus to VT-29). RIOs were trained in the T-39D and ran intercepts against A-4C Skyhawks. Photo was taken with a Kodak pocket camera with 110 film (with a negative about the size of a fingernail... hence the stellar quality).

.... so there I was... in the middle of my turn in the barrel and in the middle of my third intercept out of my alloted five. Had to get three intercepts for it to be a complete hop, and I was tanking it. The Georgia weather was not cooperating (moisture in the air played havoc with the resolution of the APQ-94 radar... big blobs on the scope that hid the small A-4 blip). Right in the middle of the intercept, the radios quit. We were NORDO. The A-4 joined up and led us back to Glynco.
As we were walking away from the aircraft (and an incomplete grade... thank goodness), the NFO instructor put his arm around me and said,"The hand of God just reached down and said 'I'm goin' to save you.'"
Did the re-fly... did okay.

brownshoe

Contributor
NATTC_A4.jpg

Back before it was VT-86 (5 June 1972), most NFOs were trained at what was known as NATTC Glynco (P-3 and C-130 guys went to Corpus to VT-29). RIOs were trained in the T-39D and ran intercepts against A-4C Skyhawks. Photo was taken with a Kodak pocket camera with 110 film (with a negative about the size of a fingernail... hence the stellar quality).

.... so there I was... in the middle of my turn in the barrel and in the middle of my third intercept out of my alloted five. Had to get three intercepts for it to be a complete hop, and I was tanking it. The Georgia weather was not cooperating (moisture in the air played havoc with the resolution of the APQ-94 radar... big blobs on the scope that hid the small A-4 blip). Right in the middle of the intercept, the radios quit. We were NORDO. The A-4 joined up and led us back to Glynco.
As we were walking away from the aircraft (and an incomplete grade... thank goodness), the NFO instructor put his arm around me and said,"The hand of God just reached down and said 'I'm goin' to save you.'"
Did the re-fly... did okay.

Stellar or not, I enjoyed the picture very much. It’s nice seeing that great plane in flight. She’s all set up for 9400 lbs, drop tanks and all. But where is the oil stain that usually ran down the starboard side? :)

Steve

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
How 'bout THIS:

Three BLACKLIONS puttin' the pedal to the metal, end of RW 07, CUBI Point, R.P. summer something-or-other ... either '73 or '74 ... I was at the end of the runway waving ... waving bye-bye in this case.

I think they "might" have given me the finger when they went by ... not sure w/ the passage of time. They probably didn't ... :D

Grande Island center-left between #2 and #3 --- what a nice, quiet LIB's spot.

That ol' Instamatic really sucks ...
:D

dsc02007jr6.jpg

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Through history there have been a lot of aircraft with nice lines but I still think the Phantom was one BAD ASS looking jet.

brownshoe

Contributor
Through history there have been a lot of aircraft with nice lines but I still think the Phantom was one BAD ASS looking jet.

I agree. The Phantom is a really “mean” looking plane. “Mean” soundin’ too! I loved the noise the engines made when they taxied. At the end of the runway arming bombs and removing pins, I was able to see and hear them close up going into AB on takeoff. Working the deck with them was awesome. Still love the A-4’s though. :)

Steve

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A friend from the Netherlands (Michel) has quite a collection of vintage F-4 photo's (and other A/C), including all the many other countries that flew the Phantom.

An amazing and comprehensive collection of great F-4 pics!!!
How he did it all is also amazing.

Fox-four lovers....:

http://www.f-4.nl/

f4j155779vf121jun78vf8.jpg

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 24 Oct 2008

vf154tank.jpg

VF-154 F-4Js fly form on a VA-113 Stingers A-7E as it tanks a VF-21 F-4J (the black radome....) Tonkin Gulf, March 1973

Status
Not open for further replies.