• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
If a Super guy could chime in and tell me I'm wrong I won't argue, but I recall being told that the cant angle on the stores actually is better for aerodynamics even at speed because of the way the bow wave and area rule are in effect on the jet.

First, I am not a jet guy, and I make no claim to be.

That said, I spoke with "Knockers" Niewoehner last summer about this and he said it is pure fiction. The cant was put because of fears of poor store separation (the CFD simulations looked bad AND they had at least one hit the fuselage in early dev test). In op test, it was found that the cant was really unnecessary, but by that point, the line was already up and running and re-tooling would have cost a fortune and delayed IOC. He didn't have an answer for why it's never been changed, though; he suspects $$.

FWIW, he said the guys doing the RCS work on it hated the canted stores, too, so it ain't an LO concern, either.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
First, I am not a jet guy, and I make no claim to be.

That said, I spoke with "Knockers" Niewoehner last summer about this and he said it is pure fiction. The cant was put because of fears of poor store separation (the CFD simulations looked bad AND they had at least one hit the fuselage in early dev test). In op test, it was found that the cant was really unnecessary, but by that point, the line was already up and running and re-tooling would have cost a fortune and delayed IOC. He didn't have an answer for why it's never been changed, though; he suspects $$.

FWIW, he said the guys doing the RCS work on it hated the canted stores, too, so it ain't an LO concern, either.

So instead of redesign the airplane why not redesign the stores to mount on a cant? Why do the stores have to be mounted squarely? :confused: Has anyone even looked into it?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So instead of redesign the airplane why not redesign the stores to mount on a cant? Why do the stores have to be mounted squarely? :confused: Has anyone even looked into it?
Again, $$$$ I'm sure.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Funny, that's not what the guys from 23 put out to the rest of us. That bad gouge was floating around the LSO schoolhouse before the OPEVAL or CQ even got underway - drivel. Configuration wise, it's not going to be any different than a 5-wet Rhino and it adds increased bring back to the entire Rhino fleet.

Brett

Yeah, but a five wet Rhino dosen't come back five wet. I'm just passing along what was seen on the platform from about 2 months ago.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dutch is a good guy, he will do a good job with the transition. Lucky bastard......;)

nugget61

pilot
Is the prowler sna pipeline closed? Or are there still enough squadrons operating it to keep it open?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My buddy is in that squadron and he says that the EA-18 squadrons will remain VAQ squadrons.

-ea6bflyr ;)

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Is the prowler sna pipeline closed? Or are there still enough squadrons operating it to keep it open?

The Prowler pipeline is still open and it will be open for the next few years as well. Navy prowlers will still be around until 2013 and they'll need new studs to fly them. A better question is what is going to happen to the expeditionary squadrons? No clear answers from what I've been told.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No planes until Aug '09? I guess they will fly FRS birds until then?

Pretty typical. Tomcat squadrons turned in aircraft and sent everyone to the FRS with aircraft showing up further down the road when they had people qualled to fly and maintain the new rides. New aircraft were delivered to FRS first and then transferred when squadron was ready to go for Safe for Flight. August sounds about right.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prowler side is still taking plenty of Cat Is; there have been no Growler Cat Is at 129 as of yet. RUMINT says they start in the spring.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
How goes the ecmo to wso transition? What are they doing with the 2 extra bodies? Kind of like the tomcat to E transition, only harder. They spread the RIO's out to other squadrons, donno if it works here though... Electric drumstick took nuts to fly and land on big grey floating prison for aviation overachievers, mucho props...