• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Kilo: CH-53K is official! USMC HLR

bigfish

I can always fall back on my SAW skills
pilot
Following the "Aliens" equation it is clear that there are actually two dropships per squad. Xenomorphs claim roughly an 85% kill rate against colonial space Marines, not US Mairnes though, I'm sure we'd do a lot better. Obviously their discipline lacks in the future since they started wearing nasty rank on their sleeves, calling Master Seargents "Sarge" and allowing the Lt to watch the action from afar rather than being n the sh!t with his men (and women). Also don't know why a Master Seargent would be some sort of wierd Squad/Platoon Seargent.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
So how does this jive with joint heavy lift (the 4-tiltrotor osprey-like a/c)? Is the K just a stopgap measure, or a long-term solution?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Long term.

The Army has never expressed interests in the 53 because they have the 47 which is also a heavy lift A/C. The 47 doesn't lift as much as the 53E but the 47's engines can sustain close to the same amount of power at Alt, where as the 53E's GE engines fall off in power drastically at Alt (ie Afghanistan). At sea level nothing can touch us. 53E is rated at 36K of cargo internal or external but as Q-ball stated, our birds are tired and we're lucky to pick up 25K these days.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So the question is can Marine Corps sustain operations with the current fleet of 53E's until 2015? From what I'm reading people are saying the fleet is worn out from having the sh!t flown out of them. So an interim solution? SR&M or some sort of depot level fix/upgrade/overhaul until the 53K comes on line?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
ChuckMK23 said:
So the question is can Marine Corps sustain operations with the current fleet of 53E's until 2015? From what I'm reading people are saying the fleet is worn out from having the sh!t flown out of them. So an interim solution? SR&M or some sort of depot level fix/upgrade/overhaul until the 53K comes on line?

That's exactly what "they're" trying to figure out right now. It's going to be hard to sell an upgrade or "SLEP" when the replacement is in the works. It shouldn't be hard, but it is.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are the weight limits airframe limitations? I'm guessing you still get a 1.0 engine from MALS "everytime," so the problem wouldn't be power, but stress on the airframe. Yes?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:

Chiming in from left field on the Navy side.....

We are FLEXing (Fatigue Life Extension) our birds by beefing up the tail pylon wit h reinforcements. I don't know of any real engine fixes (maybe some kind of Engine reliability improvement (ERIP) package). It seems that as time goes on, they just lower the bar as far as what is minimum acceptable power output is. I hope the blue side leverages off the green side on this deal...

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
gatordev said:
Are the weight limits airframe limitations? I'm guessing you still get a 1.0 engine from MALS "everytime," so the problem wouldn't be power, but stress on the airframe. Yes?

Yes, the service life is based on the limits on a certain spar underneath the main gearbox. Some guys with a 15 pound brain figured that spar has a service life of around 6000 hours.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Q-ball said:
Yes, the service life is based on the limits on a certain spar underneath the main gearbox. Some guys with a 15 pound brain figured that spar has a service life of around 6000 hours.

Thank god our friends at Sikorsky over-engineer the hell out of everything :)

ChuckMK23

pilot
More Kilo Gouge

"Approved by the Pentagon Dec. 22, 2005, development of the Heavy Lift Replacement successor to the CH-53E aims to produce an aircraft with roughly half the maintenance costs of the Super Stallion and more than twice the payload (27,000 lb. vs. 12,100 at a mission radius of about 200 nm.) under Navy "hot and high" conditions--91.5F at 3,000 ft. Dubbed the CH-53K, the all-new helicopter is intended to have the same footprint as the -53E on board ships but offer greater visibility from the cockpit and a wider cabin capable of carrying U.S. Air Force-standard loads.

The CH-53K is to have fly-by-wire flight controls, a glass cockpit, fifth-generation main rotor blades, a low-maintenance elastomeric rotorhead, a new main gearbox and new engines. It also is to offer improved survivability and ballistic protection for occupants and key systems, something that "came into play in the last six months," said USMC Col. Paul Croisetiere, the Naval Air Systems Command's Heavy Lift Replacement program manager. As part of that effort, a CH-53E is undergoing live-fire testing at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, Calif.

The program calls for initial operating capability--a detachment of four CH-53Ks, with combat-ready crews, ready to deploy--by 2015, which is actually four years too late for the Marines. Their current 150 -53Es face a 6,120-flight-hour, fatigue-life limit on the transition bulkhead section (at the tailboom's fold point), and the service projects it will lose about a dozen aircraft a year starting in 2011. So NavAir and Sikorsky are working to have a plan within a year for modifications to keep those aircraft flying--a fix that should bring Sikorsky another $4.2 billion of work.

The sole-source CH-53K contracts to Sikorsky--NavAir officials said competitive bidding would have produced a more costly aircraft at a later date--include an $8.8-million initial system development and demonstration contract, an unspecified follow-on to that due within weeks and a $2.9-billion system development and demonstration contract expected in March. The plan is to acquire 156 CH-53Ks plus five test aircraft, with an average flyaway unit cost of $56.6 million. Total program costs are estimated at $18.8 billion.

For that money, Sikorsky will select suppliers of the CH-53K's subsystems, a task on which it is focused now. "

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
KBayDog said:
352349.jpg

This may sound stupid to most of you, but how many engines does that thing have.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
TheBubba said:
The CH-53M/F is the Chuck Norris of helicopters (as stated before). The extra crewmen are so the M/F has an enhanced capability to deliver fatal roundhouse kicks in all directions simultaneously, thus making it even more Chuck Norris-like.

Duh.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TheBubba again."

Damn Nazi-like reputation point system. So much funny, and I can't give any rep points for it.:( +10,000 cross-thread points.