• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The media and aircraft

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I've lost count of how many people I've run into who've asked me
"How's that Army thing going"
"You flying for the Air Force yet?"
which for a Marine candi-o is just frustrating.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
mmx1 said:
"How's that Army thing going"
"You flying for the Air Force yet?"
which for a Marine candi-o is just frustrating.
At least you didn't have a little girl come up to you and ask you where your ice cream truck was...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
mmx1 said:
"How's that Army thing going"....

EVERYTIME ... I wore khakis ... Navy ... some fool asked me a variant of "how's the Army thing ... ???" I weep for the future of America. We need to bring back the draft ..... :sleep_125

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
At least you didn't have a little girl come up to you and ask you where you're ice cream truck was...

As a ROTC mid at PSU, I remember a kid who was absolutely incredulous that I could be in the Navy . . . without being anywhere near the ocean. As if I had gills and would suffocate without salt water immersion . . . sigh . . .

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think my own personal favorite was when I was on campus in my whites with a big ass anchor on combo cover and someone asked me how I like being in the Air Force...

And I'm sure these stories will add up when I hit the real Navy....

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I would propose to take this to another level...

The military tries very, very hard to make people understand where we're coming from. We give Barbara Walters a ride on a nuclear-powered submarine. We give Tom Brokaw a ride in an F-14 (we even give him f#$@ing wings on his nametag). We let embedded reporters run around Iraq with Army units. They still are fairly clueless.

Keep that in mind the next time you hear a report on the news about CIA, NSA, or some other intelligence agency and their "intelligence failures" or whatnot. The military tries very hard to get the media on their side... and we see the results. The intelligence community could give two sh!ts to get anyone to be understanding. How much more blatantly, pathetically wrong do you think NBC or CBS is when they talk about the goings-on in Langley?

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Oh yeah, try explaining what an E-2 NFO does...I gave my friends migranes. And they still think I am in the Air Force. One of them asked me how does an AWACS (E-3) land on the carrier. I responded, "Carefully"...Then passed out from pure anger.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Let's see, i've had the SDB's in the airport experience where different passengers asked when we are boarding/where's the bathroom/how to get to the mcdonald's.

and then i had a friend who went to the merchant marine academy who when asked where he went to school would get the standard "oh, my so-and-so was in the marine corps".

Plus as soon as you mention your in the military they assume you never graduated high school or something to that effect.

And to relate this somewhat to the original post:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/ch-467.htm

fudog50

DV Ops

Yes, we try very hard to bring awareness to the public. Every time we go down to Sand Dog, (about 12 times in the last 18 months, FRP carrier), we do DV Ops the entire time we are doing our CQ thing and the current battle plan. I estimate about 120 folks from every walk of life get the opportunity to COD on and off and spend the night, each time we go down there. My step dads best buddy had the opportunity to do it, about a year ago, he still says it ranks up there as the best experience of his life. Every day I give tunnel tours at around 1330, I have met some interesting wide eyed folks, and they in turn have seen what we really do. This is one of the best ways to bring public awareness and is a huge PR coup. (I don't know if east coast does it, I was on the Truman with the Zappers and GAG-3 and I don't remember doing DV Ops). I think every carrier does it here on the west coast.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
TurnandBurn55 said:
Keep that in mind the next time you hear a report on the news about CIA, NSA, or some other intelligence agency and their "intelligence failures" or whatnot. The military tries very hard to get the media on their side... and we see the results. The intelligence community could give two sh!ts to get anyone to be understanding. How much more blatantly, pathetically wrong do you think NBC or CBS is when they talk about the goings-on in Langley?

They (CIA/NSA/etc) probably love it every time someone gets something wrong. Area 51 must be a source of endless in-office entertainment...

CIA Accountant: Goodnight, dear.
Wife: Bob, what do you do at the office?
Accountant (trying to sleep): We disect aliens, dear.
Wife: Really? I thought you worked in finance...
Accountant: I appraise flying saucers.
Wife: Wow, that's kinda cool (calls national enquirer).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
dodge said:
Plus as soon as you mention your in the military they assume you never graduated high school or something to that effect.
In some cases it's true. ;)

One of my favorites which I've seen a couple times is when they have a Lt. General on one of the various news programs and they refer to him as Lieutenant - makes me cringe every time.

Brett

luckechance

Nothing like the "Merchant Marine Corp" is there?:icon_smil I gave up explaining what it was after sophmore year, just not worth the time.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Great Pretenders

luckechance said:
Nothing like the "Merchant Marine Corp" is there?:icon_smil I gave up explaining what it was after sophmore year, just not worth the time.

Of course, there are the great pretenders.....I was having lunch in Rockville MD one day when it looked like the CNO and "her" staff had arrived for lunch. You never saw such gold and ribbons on all the "captains" and "admirals". Somehow the picture wasn't right. They looked ancient or grossly out of shape (like a bunch of humpty-dumpties). Curious to no end, I walked by their table on way to head and saw that their ribbons made no sense even though they were wearing SDBs. Finally figured out I was looking at the Surgeon General and her staff.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
My dad served on the USS Essex in the early '60's. When out with another JO and his wife a remark was made about the anti-submarine mission of the Essex. He couldn't believe it when the other guy's wife commented on how amazing it was that such a large ship was able to submerge and hunt submarines.