• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The media and aircraft

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
One of my favorites which I've seen a couple times is when they have a Lt. General on one of the various news programs and they refer to him as Lieutenant - makes me cringe every time.Brett
Ignorance is Bliss .... and not only in "civie street" ....

As in ... when you do a X-Country to Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque, NM @ 1976 ... you have made prior reservations @ the BOQ ... and you are greeted on the ramp with VIP vehicles, and aide, and booked into the VIP suite on the base.

We PPR'ed and got reservations for quarters ... one of our flight was a LTJG ... of course, that translated as Lieutenant General, in Air Force world. It's really happened ... and more than once.

glory01.jpg
fort_B1.jpg

(left) The Spirit of '76 is prepared for a mission carrying a captive Maverick at Kirtland AFB, NM, May 1976. (Photo by Geoff LeBaron, New Mexico Air National Guard)

(right) Kirtland AFB Veterinary Facility ... where they put us after learning the "truth" ... :)

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
My dad had the same experience at an AF base, but going the opposite direction. He's a retired Captain, and when he called the Q to make the reservation he stated that. When we got to the Q to check in the lady insisted that we couldn't stay in the room for O-6s because he was only a Captain. It took a few minutes of explaining that a Navy Captain is an O-6 before she finally figured it out.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
mmx1 said:
"How's that Army thing going"
Just a thought on this one...

Often, people refer to the military as a whole as "The Army" and then specify a branch.

So yes, its ignorance, but maybe not as bad as it looks at first (in some cases)???

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Ignorance is Bliss .... and not only in "civie street" ....

As in ... when you do a X-Country to Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque, NM @ 1976 ... you have made prior reservations @ the BOQ ... and you are greeted on the ramp with VIP vehicles, and aide, and booked into the VIP suite on the base.

We PPR'ed and got reservations for quarters ... one of our flight was a LTJG ... of course, that translated as Lieutenant General, in Air Force world. It's really happened ... and more than once.
That's funny. I've actually used that phenomenon in reverse to "take care of business." We had a couple USAF Captains in my last squadron, so I'd sometimes put them on the phone and emphasize their "Captain-ness" to uncooperative Navy personnel. You'd be amazed how ramp space magically appears after having just been denied a PPR from Airman Schmuckatelli at Base Ops. :D

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I had a nickel for every time the F-14 has been called the F-15 and vice versa, I'd have at least $2.65.

But they look "exactly" alike...HUH? Look alike? WTF?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Schnugg said:
If I had a nickel for every time the F-14 has been called the F-15 and vice versa, I'd have at leasy $2.65

But they look "exactly" alike...HUH? Look alike? WTF?

Talking about that, my roomate could of sworn he saw a-4's today at daytona......but they were -45's. He still isnt convinced.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
mules83 said:
Talking about that, my roomate could of sworn he saw a-4's today at daytona...... He still isnt convinced.

Nope. Tell him I wasn't there .... :icon_rast

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:

(right) Kirtland AFB Veterinary Facility ... where they put us after learning the "truth" ... :)

Military vets are charged with outbreak of infectious diseases due to bad food and quarantine of dangerous animals...did you notice them wearing gloves or bars on your windows by chance?

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
In my "Modern political theory" class we had a girl come up and among other things, talk about how the US military keeps building WMD's and how that there is so many of us we could eventually attack america and take it over.

My heart nearly exploded from sorrow and anger, and after 30 minutes that class left with a better appreciation for the armed forces.

It was heartwrenching but something positive came out of it.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
raptor10 said:
In my "Modern political theory" class we had a girl come up and among other things, talk about how the US military keeps building WMD's and how that there is so many of us we could eventually attack america and take it over...

I think I can help out your "friend" from class...

http://www.cnn.com/JOBS/

B

Blutonski816

mules83 said:
Talking about that, my roomate could of sworn he saw a-4's today at daytona......but they were -45's. He still isnt convinced.

See the one good thing about having Nellis just on the other side of town is that a lot of my friends from HS have parents that are active or former AF... So at least they knew an F-15 or F-16 when they saw it... anything else, they'd look to "This kid who wants to fly Navy" for an ID....

Nice to know America's youth has its moments where it IS a little more educated than the Media...

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
raptor10 said:
In my "Modern political theory" class we had a girl come up and among other things, talk about how the US military keeps building WMD's and how that there is so many of us we could eventually attack america and take it over.

My heart nearly exploded from sorrow and anger, and after 30 minutes that class left with a better appreciation for the armed forces.

It was heartwrenching but something positive came out of it.

Who's "us"? The People's Front of Judea? or Judean People's Front?

BigRed389

None
I was just watching CNN this morning(big screen TV style student indoctrination type thing as you eat) and I heard a reporter jawing on about a death penalty case.

I totally get the thing about the British accent thing...there was a guy with suck ass grammar who had the Brit accent down...redundant phrases everywhere.

Then some chick who probably screwed her way to her job as she "quoted" or "paraphrased" a judge with "Well, so like, the judge said, that's just not an option." YGBTSM