• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The million dollar question

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I kind of got your point. But you've got your wings, you all ready know how to fly. In fact that's almost all you know how to do. I know you jets guys do some tactics in Advanced, but I am guessing they are pretty JV compared to the RAG/Fleet. In HT's, we really don't learn much tactically at all. I am guessing it's because there is such a diversity of helo communities to move on to, especially since we train all USN, USMC, USCG helo pilots.
Learning your new aircraft, will in many ways, both flying and systems wise, just be an "upgrade" to what you all ready know. It's the extremely advanced weapon systems, that will be a whole new thing. Especially all the fancy stuff you Prowler types do, though I am not sure what a pilot vs. nfo learns in the Prowler (hell I just learned a week or two ago that all you pilot/nfo platforms have different NATOPS, that's crazy). But to answer your question, I'm not sure what should come first. I guess they figure your flying skillz won't atrophy too bad in the 9 months or so you learning weapons, and that you can quickly and [more] easily put them together in this order.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
I just find it odd that I know how to fire a HARM but don't have a clue how to start the jet up yet.
Lots of that is a function of being in an ECMO-centric world where it makes a lot less sense to learn the flying before you learn the tactics. It does make sense to split it up to some degree.

Brett

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Brett327 said:
Lots of that is a function of being in an ECMO-centric world where it makes a lot less sense to learn the flying before you learn the tactics. It does make sense to split it up to some degree.

Brett

And that does make complete sense. It's pretty easy to tell that even the pilot syllabus kinda mirrors the ECMO one even though we do split and get a much much more basic look at those parts. It almost seems the pilot syllabus was an afterthought though. But hey, I get it, we're here in part to drive you buttton pushers around. ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The FLIR situation in States

Punk said:
and some very interesting points I gotta say

I remember talking to a Harrier IP about FLIR pods and such. Seems the Israelis are light years ahead of us. I thought he mentioned our 2nd gen pods were bought from the Israelis or something. Can't remember.

The first FLIR pod on the scene was LANTIRN, which became the standard. They were arriving for the F-15E just in time for Desert Storm (actually employs a NAV and Targeting pod). F/A-18 needed a smaller diameter pod and got NITEHawk, which suffered from reliability issues and even when it works, "it's the physics, man"...doesn't compare in range and resolution to the larger LANTIRN. Meanwhile, Israelis got LANTIRN with their initial F-15I buy and promptly reengineered it creating LITENING II pod with some nice upgrades absent from LANTIRN (Air Guard was who bought them initially as cheaper alternative to LANTIRN). ATFLIR was Navy attempt to replace NITEHawk around same time F-14 used a novel approach to rapidly integrate LANTIRN (not a traditonal integration scheme, but it worked and transformed, if not saved, community overnight starting in 96). Same folks who did that effort developed Sniper for ATFLIR competion. but lost out to Rayco design that has been introduced to fleet now. USAF decided they liked Sniper and it is now in operational use. Almost forget to mention that Marines opted to use LITENING II on the Harrier and Northrop Grumman became the US partner (Northrop Grumman subsequently replaced the "256" FLIR with a latest technology "512" FLIR. This pod, known as LITENING ER, extended the target detection range and began fielding in 2001. The newest version, LITENING AT, is in production and went into service in 2003 with ability to downlink imagery). In 2004, marine Hornet pilots opted to put LITENING on their F/A-18Ds and NAVAIR did a quick flight clearance to appease the Marines.

Note: Downlink imagery upgrade is important to Special Ops folks who have worked with LITENING and F-14 LANTIRN that also has capability to do this with either LVRS or Rover receivers. Sniper is fielding similar capability and certain F/A-18E/F lots can also transmit imagery as well.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
ACS jets only?

It's not an ACS dependent thing. It's with VFA-102 in Japan, but I'm not sure what other fleet squadrons have off top of my head. I'll ask around after the holidays when I get back to Pax.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
The first FLIR pod on the scene was LANTIRN, which became the standard. They were arriving for the F-15E just in time for Desert Storm (actually employs a NAV and Targeting pod). F/A-18 needed a smaller diameter pod and got NITEHawk, which suffered from reliability issues and even when it works, "it's the physics, man"...doesn't compare in range and resolution to the larger LANTIRN. Meanwhile, Israelis got LANTIRN with their initial F-15I buy and promptly reengineered it creating LITENING II pod with some nice upgrades absent from LANTIRN (Air Guard was who bought them initially as cheaper alternative to LANTIRN). ATFLIR was Navy attempt to replace NITEHawk around same time F-14 used a novel approach to rapidly integrate LANTIRN (not a traditonal integration scheme, but it worked and transformed, if not saved, community overnight starting in 96). Same folks who did that effort developed Sniper for ATFLIR competion. but lost out to Rayco design that has been introduced to fleet now. USAF decided they liked Sniper and it is now in operational use. Almost forget to mention that Marines opted to use LITENING II on the Harrier and Northrop Grumman became the US partner (Northrop Grumman subsequently replaced the "256" FLIR with a latest technology "512" FLIR. This pod, known as LITENING ER, extended the target detection range and began fielding in 2001. The newest version, LITENING AT, is in production and went into service in 2003 with ability to downlink imagery). In 2004, marine Hornet pilots opted to put LITENING on their F/A-18Ds and NAVAIR did a quick flight clearance to appease the Marines.

Note: Downlink imagery upgrade is important to Special Ops folks who have worked with LITENING and F-14 LANTIRN that also has capability to do this with either LVRS or Rover receivers. Sniper is fielding similar capability and certain F/A-18E/F lots can also transmit imagery as well.
Man portable recievers for the image downlaod arent really that practical, they are heavy and battery life is an issue. I ahd one to play with in 2003 and it worked great but had some pretty severe limitations weight and realiability being the biggest ones. Much better on an LAV than on foot. Still a great idea and a decent piece of gear.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Man portable recievers for the image downlaod arent really that practical, they are heavy and battery life is an issue. I ahd one to play with in 2003 and it worked great but had some pretty severe limitations weight and realiability being the biggest ones. Much better on an LAV than on foot. Still a great idea and a decent piece of gear.

Getting better all the time (isn't that a song...) ROVER III is fielded, which is kinda like a Toughbook. SPECOPS guys had them in field in OEF and OIF "talking" to Tomcats. NAVAIR even had a loggie carting around LVRS units (Green side SOF preferred device) in Northern Iraq. Some SOF units do have vehicles of all descriptions so portability is a priority but isn't a show stopper. The real trick is getting a MIDS terminal into a Pelican case for Link 16....now that's the ticket!