• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Perpetual MEGA Space Thread

taxi1

pilot
If we ever figure out fusion power, you’ll be able to see the lights and construction activity on the moon as we mine Helium 3 for fuel.

Sonog

pilot
It's also not too sci fi to conjecture that the only sustainable perpetual economic growth model would require expansion of economic activity to the rest of the solar system.

The Expanse series, while often times awful writing, did some awesome theory and world building of what that future society would look like. Just requires the buy-in of the concept of unlimited fusion energy.

Random8145

Contributor
It's also not too sci fi to conjecture that the only sustainable perpetual economic growth model would require expansion of economic activity to the rest of the solar system.

The Expanse series, while often times awful writing, did some awesome theory and world building of what that future society would look like. Just requires the buy-in of the concept of unlimited fusion energy.
Would we need need fusion energy in order to industrialize the Solar System? I mean we could make major advancements in solar power and use advanced conventional nuclear power and even hydrocarbon fuels from moons/planets that have them occurring naturally (ex. Jupiter's moon Titan). We could mine the materials and then bring them back to Earth.

taxi1

pilot
Would we need need fusion energy in order to industrialize the Solar System? I mean we could make major advancements in solar power and use advanced conventional nuclear power and even hydrocarbon fuels from moons/planets that have them occurring naturally (ex. Jupiter's moon Titan). We could mine the materials and then bring them back to Earth.
I don’t think fusion is necessary. You can be as dirty as you want with nuke reactors in space, and there is about infinite solar power to harvest. But fusion sure wouldn’t hurt.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Considering we haven't invented fusion yet on Earth, pondering whether we'll put it into space seems a bit premature.