• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...... I absolutely defer to A-4's about landing on the boat, but have to disagree about the strikes thing. Ask a hitter what count he prefers, and he'll definitely no strikes. 2 balls, 0 strikes is a hitters count. That's when you come out of your shoes swinging.
PREFER ???? SURE: prefer.

But how good are you??? Just as good (or bad?) a hitter are you.... on the first or the last strike ???? That .... coming from a Little League Hawaii All-Star. :)

It's ALWAYS mind over matter ....

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Mefesto said:
I like how they stripped the 4 wire... just for a little added pressure.

I'm a lot late at this thread, but that isn't the 4 wire, but the net. Sorry my single seat brother.:)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
A4s...That's a lot of jets in that picture...

What percentage got jets back then?:icon_wink Betcha it was alot....

lucian_boy

Hey guess what I was there on the last launch and trap of the world famous f-14 tomcat. It was good and the air show was good also, but for those of you that went below decks after the air show (AND THE BEFORE THE FOD WALKDOWN AS USUAL) you miss a spectacular fly by the last tomcat to launch on it way home. I wish I had a camera to take a pic but it was bigger and had more water vapor than what "size" did during the air show. I AM GLAD TO BE WITNESS AND BE PART OF THAT AVIATION HISTORY, THANK YOU GOD THANK YOU NAVY AND THANK YOU TOMCAT

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Hey guess what I was there on the last launch and trap of the world famous f-14 tomcat. It was good and the air show was good also, but for those of you that went below decks after the air show (AND THE BEFORE THE FOD WALKDOWN AS USUAL) you miss a spectacular fly by the last tomcat to launch on it way home. I wish I had a camera to take a pic but it was bigger and had more water vapor than what "size" did during the air show. I AM GLAD TO BE WITNESS AND BE PART OF THAT AVIATION HISTORY, THANK YOU GOD THANK YOU NAVY AND THANK YOU TOMCAT

No need for the angry caps. You're not old like A4s yet. :D

B

Blutonski816

Thoughts on the F-14 Tomcat

Okay I know that this week is the whole Tomcat sunset event.

A few weeks ago I was at Borders and I bought that "Bye-Bye, Baby!"
book with all those photos and little anecdotes from Tomcat guys. (BTW, it was kinda funny reading the book seeing Heyjoe's quotes in there and saying to myself "Hey, I know that guy!")

Anyway I know alot of the ppl here on AW (esp the younger guys) like me have never had the opportunity to fly in the F-14, but I know that even if you never sat in one, that an Aircraft as legendary as the Tomcat left some kind of impression on you. Sure, like any plane that passes on into history it does get its share of hero worship, but still, you gotta admit it's one of those hard to forget planes.

So I just wanted to hear from the rest of you about how the F-14 has affected you in your journey to become an NA/NFO.

Me, I was in love with the Tomcat. As a kid I wanted more than anything to be a Tomcat driver when I grew up. It was loud, it was fast, it was Sexy. Sure, if I were to have the same mindset now, I'd get heat, but then again, I was 10 when I fell for the 'Cat (so c'mon, guys gimme a break). Sure, I was heartbroken when I got word that she'd be a page in Aviation history before I was old enough to drink, but even now I still smile when I think about the F-14.
I only saw the F-14 5 times in my life, and only 3 of them I got to actually touch one, but still, you don't forget a Fighter like that. I can still feel the Rumble in my chest and the feeling of my eardrums being ruined from the 2 Demo flights I was lucky enough to see (my props to the Crazed SOBs who flew those Demos, whose jobs I'd give anything to have).

Sure, now that I'm a few years older, a few years wiser my attitudes are a bit more mature. Sure I still want to earn my wings, and as cool as I think it'd be in my mind to get Jets, I know that wherever I end up I'll be happy. I'll think back to the F-14 and remember that she was the one who got me that far.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nobody cares. Enough "lamenting the departure of the Tomcat" threads.

Brett

MasterBates

We all know that only the retirement of the Prowler is worth lamenting...

Heck, when the -60B is replaced, that will be a cause for celebration!

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
I think he's a little bitter because nobody's lamenting the Prowler's departure

Shocker's baby! uhhh I mean Growlers! ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think he's a little bitter because nobody's lamenting the Prowler's departure

Shocker's baby! uhhh I mean Growlers! ;)

I think 9 years out is a little early, don't you? Anyway, when it's gone, it will be a good thing. That jet is a big heap of crap. :D

Brett

zuggerat

I think 9 years out is a little early, don't you? Anyway, when it's gone, it will be a good thing. That jet is a big heap of crap. :D

Brett

Ive always thought of the Prowler as this...

Hawwwwling some FOs

School%20Bus%201%20Large.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, it's a short bus, alright, but the retarded kid is invariably the pilot. In fact, he's usually so challenged that it takes three minders just to keep him from killing us all. :D

Brett

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Don't matter if you're driving it or riding it, it's still the short bus.:icon_tong