• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The funniest thing about all this aircraft lamenting, is that its almost exclusively done by people who have never flown one...or at all in many cases.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, what's ICAP III? I've got all sorts of Prowler stickers with that on it. Some kind of systems upgrade?

It's basically the "system" going into the G model which has been retrofitted into a few Prowlers. It's a huge leap forward in capabilities and guys I know who have used it say it's amazing. It's hard to describe the advances unless you have a frame of reference in what it's going to replace, but it brings EA technology from the early 80s to the 21st century.

Just in the way of user interface, compare these two cockpits:

Brett

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 219
  • picture 2.bmp
    147.1 KB · Views: 141

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sad to see it go...no,it's time has come and gone...
r/
An old Tomcat guy.

toiletcats.jpg

navyao

Nobody cares. Enough "lamenting the departure of the Tomcat" threads.

Brett

I don't blame you guys for being sick and tired about all of these posts about the F-14 going away, I'm actually looking forward to all of this being over with, however I would like to add something.

Now as someone mentioned, many of the comments posted have been made by those of us who have not flown the F-14, me being one of them. I however did spend 3 illustrious years doing PMS, daily's, dropping weapons rails, changing nitrogen bottles out of the LAU-9's, uploading and down loading 20 mike-mike, and so on. Did I enjoy all of it? Yes and no. But the Tomcat is a part of my youth, I was 20 when I got to the squadron. As the final F-14 flies off to Davis-Motham later this month, with it goes the Navy that I knew. Sorry, but it's tough to see something which you took a lot of pride in sitting in the desert or even worse, cut up into pieces. But, I'll have the same feelings when the Enterprise is decommissioned and when the P-3 is replaced by the MMA.

Its time has come to step aside now...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I however did spend 3 illustrious years doing PMS, daily's, dropping weapons rails, changing nitrogen bottles out of the LAU-9's, uploading and down loading 20 mike-mike, and so on.

Hey...didn't realize....lament on. My comment, honestly, was more an observation than an indictment...

robav8r

None
Contributor
The Big Cat

Had a chance to be a "Shooter" on the Big Stick for the last deployment of the Tom Kitties. A big jet that has a great reputation and will be sorely missed. Kinda like the big battleships - large, intimidating and a psychological threat to any enemy. Top Gun movies aside, I'll miss the big cat.

FOG

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
I'll miss it. Sexy aircraft, no doubt. But I'll really miss refueling a two ship and being 30K closer to bingo.

She served very well, but it's time to dump the old, fat, nagging wife with too much baggage and go with the younger, thinner, sorority sister who's never too tired for another romp.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I beg to differ...

As one Charlie drive said when he looked at our aft cockpit "that's re-cock-ulous"