• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Three Carrier Battle Groups for China?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
yeah.....like anti ship ballistic missiles...which no other country has developed an analogue.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I have one answer to a PRC blue water Navy - Seawolf.

I second that....too bad we didn't build a few more...I think Connect-I-cutt and Jesus Christ, er..Jimmy Carter are all on the west coast now. I also think the SSGN conversion may have been the best idea the Navy's had in the last 20 years.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Can't forget the Virginia and her sisters - that ship is f'ing scary good.

haubby

None
Contributor
I also think the SSGN conversion may have been the best idea the Navy's had in the last 20 years.

I was apart of one of the SSGN conversion's and took part in the CONOPS. The capabilities are amazing. If I was staying in the submarine community, I would want to get orders back to a SSGN.

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
If Chinese subs are such a big problem why is the HS community focusing on SAR/CSAR vice sub hunting?? Also why would we get rid of some of our sub hunting assets (s-3, etc). Does anyone know whats replacing the s-3 for sub hunting? Or are we just waiting until a chinese sub sends a torp through the side of one of our carriers????

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
If Chinese subs are such a big problem why is the HS community focusing on SAR/CSAR vice sub hunting?? Also why would we get rid of some of our sub hunting assets (s-3, etc). Does anyone know whats replacing the s-3 for sub hunting? Or are we just waiting until a chinese sub sends a torp through the side of one of our carriers????

that's a good question. I will go on record as saying the USN hasn't taken ASW seriously for a long time. Hopefully, the lessons learned by the leasing of the Gottland will wake us up.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

The short answer: because it's not sexy. Plus there's not much return on it right now. "We found a sub. Yeah....uh, now what?"

It's going to be a moot point "soon" as HS goes away and HSM becomes the only game in town (on the helo side).

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The sad thing is that I think the real thing will happen well before that does.

fudog50

Hey Flytpay!

As to your first response..

I may be a little late but I don't care who you are, thats funny!

red1323

that's a good question. I will go on record as saying the USN hasn't taken ASW seriously for a long time. Hopefully, the lessons learned by the leasing of the Gottland will wake us up.

Respectifully disagree, not sure about the aviation side of the house, but us lowly ship dwellers concentrate on a lot of the less sexy but important ongoing threats such as ASW.