• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Three Carrier Battle Groups for China?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Respectifully disagree, not sure about the aviation side of the house, but us lowly ship dwellers concentrate on a lot of the less sexy but important ongoing threats such as ASW.

So if ASW is a big issue... why don't the newer flights of DDGs have towed sonar?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Helo det.

Flight Is don't have helo dets to provide ASW so that's why we need TACTAS.

But FFGs, DDs, and CGs all have/had helo dets and they have a tail. That's not the answer. The helo is not a search platform, which is something the shoes don't understand. The tail is a search tool.

I remember hearing the answer at some point, but can't fully remember what it was. It may have to do w/ the helo, but only in a mechanical/not enough room sort of way since you have to add the LSO shack, the RAST machinery and do away w/ the poop deck.

red1323

Not a whole lotta public info on the towed arrays and, as a FNG I've learned it's better to keep your mouth shut when in doubt. ASW is pretty important on the DDG's find your local ASWO and ask him/her on the high side if you want an ear full.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
But FFGs, DDs, and CGs all have/had helo dets and they have a tail. That's not the answer. The helo is not a search platform, which is something the shoes don't understand. The tail is a search tool.

I remember hearing the answer at some point, but can't fully remember what it was. It may have to do w/ the helo, but only in a mechanical/not enough room sort of way since you have to add the LSO shack, the RAST machinery and do away w/ the poop deck.

I had heard it was a machinery issue too... The Spruance class was able to have it all... but those were purpose built ASW DDs... I just don't see a hull mounted sonar being as good as a towed array. Just me...

What ever happened to the SV-22? I wonder if that will ever come about.