• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Threshold...Old Skool Blue Angels...

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
If you're a Phantom Phan...and you don't enjoy this...than you have already assumed room temperature.

yak52driver

Contributor
I remember seeing the Blue's flying F-4's when I was a teenager, it seemed like the loops topped at 5,000 feet they were so big. Awesome vid.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Watching the Blues fly Phantoms right over my house next to South Weymouth NAS is what made me want to fly.

It worked.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I remember seeing the Blue's flying F-4's when I was a teenager, it seemed like the loops topped at 5,000 feet they were so big. Awesome vid.

There's a part in the movie of one the solos doing a loop, and when he's at the apex....he says "Boss....I just got real scared....my A/S indicator just showed 40 KIAs"!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I never saw any Blue's show pre-jet age ... but:

IN the "jet age" ... the best shows I've seen, hands down:

If you didn't see those shows ... you will never understand ... and more is the pity ... :)

yak52driver

Contributor
I never saw any Blue's show pre-jet age ... but:

IN the "jet age" ... the best shows I've seen, hands down:

If you didn't see those shows ... you will never understand ... and more is the pity ... :)

Saw the Blues fly in A-4's practicing for the Chicago Air & Water show, sat on a park bench and they would come screaming over my head at times. I remember being impressed with how nimble they were.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
I have a question about flying the F-4s, did they just do it without a back seater?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Waiting for CAT to chime in ... waiting ... waiting ... wait for it, now ... wait for it ... :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I have a question about flying the F-4s, did they just do it without a back seater?
Except for this one airshow in Topeka, KS in 1970 or 1971 when Harley Hall was Blue #1 and his and the #4 birds had backseaters (my brother and I). Thrill of a lifetime for a 10 year old but all I remember was him telling me to keep my head down while we were on the ground (so no one would see me), "don't touch anything", the sky spinning and puking my guts out....it was obviously a different era in Naval Aviation back then....

I told Trader John the story one night in Pensacola after I was out of AOCS and waiting for VT-10. He said he'd heard of Harley doing this for his relatives a few times and then he took me down the bar and introduced me to the current Blues CO. I ended up getting a few TA-4 rides around Pensacola that fall.