• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tomcats really gone for good

snake020

Contributor
I am curious - why not at least keep a few around to use as aggressors if Iran is still using them?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I am curious - why not at least keep a few around to use as aggressors if Iran is still using them?

Maintenance $$$, parts $$$, training $$$, training maintainers $$$, etc $$$.

Enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for you????

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

Because if there were some in aggressor squadrons, we would still get weekly "The last Tomcat" threads and videos as they leaked out. At least this way...that goose is cooked.:D

navyao

None of Irans tomcats work anymore.

Which is why they must be scrapping the rest of the F-14's at Davis Montham? The government doesn't want the Iranians getting there hands on the parts? The last I read is the Iranians do have operational Tomcats, unknown how many though and they are used for AEW.

Regarding our Tomcats, I have a tough time believeing that "all" of the airframes will be disposed of. Maybe all of the A's, but the B's and D's with not as much airframe use? I don't know...

Lawman

None
None of Irans tomcats work anymore.

That is a brazen and incorrect statement for you to make. There are plenty of recent propaganda photos out on the net of Iranian Cats operating. Now how many out of the 79 are actually fully up aircraft, probably only a handful. But they are still flying.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I've never understood the whole policy on not selling countries like Iran spare parts. We should make some money off of them, and if they decided to come against us or our allies, we can shoot them down. We destroyed the 4th largest Air Force in the world in a matter of days. 30 year old A model f-14 technology doesn't pose much of a threat to the newer block jets that we have.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never understood the whole policy on not selling countries like Iran spare parts. We should make some money off of them, and if they decided to come against us or our allies, we can shoot them down. We destroyed the 4th largest Air Force in the world in a matter of days. 30 year old A model f-14 technology doesn't pose much of a threat to the newer block jets that we have.

What about a P-3 or helo? Trust that the government folks working the issue might have a bit more info than you do in this regard. They just don't share everything with general public so you might want to wait until you start making policy suggestions.

MasterBates

Assuming YOUR argument is solid, and I don't think it is, what about the guys flying Tankers, Helos, E-2s, CODs, and other unarmed aircraft.

YOU DO NOT AID YOU ENEMIES. PERIOD.

There is a time for captialism. This is not one of them.

Do you want to go up against a 35 year old fighter in an even older, unarmed transport? I sure as hell don't!!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
UInavy said:
I'd guess he means any Hornet model that we field now would not be terribly threatened by a 30 year-old, Iranian-maintained, A-model Tomcat. We don't need -35's or -22's to counter that guy.

That is pretty much what I'm saying. Any Viper, Eagle or Hornet driver worth their salt wouldn't have much troubles with the Iranian AF. (As we all know, any gomer can fight and win in a Raptor)

As far as a couple previous comments go:

Joe:
Perhaps it isn't quite what you meant, but what came off was, "Shut up and trust the government, they know what's best." I'm not drinking that kool-aid.

Master:
Our enemies and allies change fairly quickly. Some of Iran doesn't like us, some of Iran does. I'm willing to bet most of Iran couldn't care less, as long as their families get fed and their children are safe.

Now I can understand not giving them parts after the whole Brit episode and some of the other endeavors that the current regime has undertaken. But there was a time when Iran was fairly Western in thought and practice. I don't see it as being so cut and dry or black and white as you do. Then again, I don't have a security clearance.

So, let's get into some hypothetical scenarios: We sell Iran some parts and make some money. They decide to take after a C-130, E-3, E-2, C-2, kc-130, (insert some airplane without much defense BFM capabilities). I'm will to bet there is some type of CAP flight pretty damn close, and then the fight is over. If they do use them against us, or our allies we have more than the ability to destroy their Air Force whether it's on the ground or in the Air. (Hell, the Israelis would probably do it for us.)

It's like selling someone a rock while you have a gun to their head. You give them a chance to work with you, and if they screw it up you blow their brains out through the back of their head.

Oh and guys, please, try not to simply jump to the conclusion that I am an idiot. I see a lot of that flying around this board as compared to some of the others I belong to wrt the military and flying. I'm simply trying to discuss some points here and maybe learn something.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't go reading too much into what I said. What I said was you're aren't privy to all the government sees and the behind the scenes deliberations and, yes, if you take an oath, you will have to trust them.

As to Iranians, they nabbed the British boarding teams by watching and biding their time for right opportunity. They'll likely do the same thing in the air. If you haven't been to Fallon, then you haven't seen how a strip launched very old F-5 can ruin a strike group's day. Plenty of Iraqis blew past the vaunted F-15 CAP enroute to Iran...no CAP or AEW is totally all encompassing or airtight. The Iranians or any other bad actor can make a lot of mileage over downing a single US/Allied/Coalition aircraft. We don't need their money so why take it and then potentially pay the price later when they set up an ambush? That wouldn't go over to well.

What MB is saying and I agree with is you should wait until you go exposed to more of the tactical and policy side of thing before you debate policy in public. If you want to do that, try Strategypage.com. They'll debate with you for days.