• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

too old to fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel

I turned 28 in June, have no prior military experience and want to fly for the US military (USMC/NAVY). I tried the NAVY first. My recruiter told me no way how. I kept bugging him and he tried his best, but no go. Then I went to the USMC ... no way no how. The USAF wouldn't even talk to me about it because of my age and no priors. I talked to the army today and they said the best option is to come in as an E4 because officers aren't guaranteed any specific job. I don't want to sign up blindly. I guess it kind of gives me an opportunity to prove I'm not solely looking to play with their toys. With the other branches, even if I have a chance I have to come in direct commission (asking for a $40 million aircraft, LOL!). Please advise me. Oh yeah I know the bupers thing says "c. Applicants older than 27 at commissioning are required to submit a formal waiver request to NAVPERSCOM (PERS-435A).", but said he is not allowed to go but that. His regulations say absolutely no waivers on age. Please advise.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Wow. Um, you didn't by any chance post this EXACT same post like yesterday did you? Seriously, there is no option for you in the USN, USMC, or USAF. I'll let an army pilot chime in on the USA, but at best you MAY be eligible for the WO program.

Gabriel

Nope wrong guy. I've seen a post with the same title though. I haven't posted for about a week or two, But thanks for the info though. Are you saying I should ditch the E4 idea and attempt to fly direct commision?(speaking ARMY of course)

Crowbar

None
I tried the NAVY first...but no go. Then I went to the USMC ... no way no how. The USAF wouldn't even talk to me

So why, in another thread, are you telling people what scores they need to be competitive and talking about how fuel prices are affecting the number of flight slots?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you speaking with an OFFICER recruiter? It sounds like you are talking to an ENLISTED recruiter. There is a difference.

If you want to be an officer and fly, then pursue a commission.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Gabriel

So why, in another thread, are you telling people what scores they need to be competitive and talking about how fuel prices are affecting the number of flight slots?

My recruiter showed me those scores listed as competitve in a book that he had. I had 4's and 5's and he said those were not competitive. I get my info from here as well. I just want him to get the best chance possible. It is a dream you know. Hope I didn't offend you.

My recruiter showed me those scores listed as competitve in a book that he had. I had 4's and 5's and he said those were not competitive. I get my info from here as well. I just want him to get the best chance possible. It is a dream you know. Hope I didn't offend you.

Inquire about the Warrant Officer program at an Army recruiter. Thats your only hope. A lot of aviation officers in the army do not fly after O-3. They take up staff position in aviation battalions. Warrant's fly their entire career unless physicals hold them back.

Gabriel

Inquire about the Warrant Officer program at an Army recruiter. Thats your only hope. A lot of aviation officers in the army do not fly after O-3. They take up staff position in aviation battalions. Warrant's fly their entire career unless physicals hold them back.

Thanks, I'll tell them that's the route I want to take.

sa08SNFO

Do you have any prior flight experience? I am currently a flight student in Pensacola, and have people in school with me who are older than you. Most of them had prior military experience and came in as Naval Flight Officers and then put in a packet to switch to pilot.
Also, my brother is a recruiter for the navy, and I would advise that if you are interested in flying you should talk to a navy/USMC officer recruiter. They won't be in the little "Go navy" offices, and you will have to seek them out, but you might get more specific answers about your options from them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you have any prior flight experience? I am currently a flight student in Pensacola, and have people in school with me who are older than you. Most of them had prior military experience and came in as Naval Flight Officers and then put in a packet to switch to pilot.
Also, my brother is a recruiter for the navy, and I would advise that if you are interested in flying you should talk to a navy/USMC officer recruiter. They won't be in the little "Go navy" offices, and you will have to seek them out, but you might get more specific answers about your options from them.

Dude, the guy is too old for USN/USMC programs. Don't be sending him to waste an officer recruiter's time.

Brett

Gabriel

I have some fixed wing and helo exp, but nothing big time. The NAVY officer a talked to is a Warrant officer in avaition. Is that the same thing? I told him about the waiver thing but he said there are no more slots. The USMC recruiter was a sargeant. He says that he asked his boss and the guy said no way. Also, no more slots. Against all odds I'm still trying though. I gave the NAVY recruiter a break because I don't want to anoy him. I figured I'd get my scores up first. Both recruiters said the board laughs at 4's and 5's.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The NAVY officer a talked to is a Warrant officer in avaition. Is that the same thing? I told him about the waiver thing but he said there are no more slots. The USMC recruiter was a sargeant. He says that he asked his boss and the guy said no way. Also, no more slots. Against all odds I'm still trying though. I gave the NAVY recruiter a break because I don't want to anoy him. I figured I'd get my scores up first. Both recruiters said the board laughs at 4's and 5's.

You CAN NOT and WILL NOT be a Naval Aviator in the Navy or Marine Corps and I'm pretty sure you can't be an AF pilot either. Move on.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The NAVY officer a talked to is a Warrant officer in avaition. Is that the same thing? I told him about the waiver thing but he said there are no more slots. The USMC recruiter was a sargeant. He says that he asked his boss and the guy said no way. Also, no more slots. Against all odds I'm still trying though. I gave the NAVY recruiter a break because I don't want to anoy him. I figured I'd get my scores up first. Both recruiters said the board laughs at 4's and 5's.

Don't be in denial. You are too old for USN/USMC programs for pilot - period. Talk to an officer recruiter in the Army if flying helos sounds like fun - it's probably your only shot at military aviation. Do not, repeat do not enlist in any service. At your age, it's not a path that will get you into the cockpit.

Is that clear enough? Questions?

Brett

mcaggie07

None
Your ASTB scores are terrible, your too old and you can't spell. That's three strikes. Doesn't look good for the home team. As a SNFO, (prior STS1 with 8yrs and that fun stint I did as an 1170-nuke officer in training), I can tell you that the Navy/MC fighting team is not looking for stick monkeys. The instruction is meant to specifically exclude us old folks. Im 20/20, in great shape, and I can fly; but the Navy doesn't need me as a pilot, so Im gonna learn to poke fun at the guy in the front seat. The warrant officer thing is probably the wtg for you. You will be the expert in flying as either NFO or Pilot. It would be great for you b/c you wouldn't have to be bogged down with paperwork and could stop worrying what order those pesky letters go in when you have to submit any report that has the word "AVAITION" in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.