• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
The whole asshole on TR thing has been debunked and shown to have originated from one grumpy sailor’s social media post.
I’m no TC apologist, but the truth (and Dianetics) will set you free...

Negative Ghostrider...that info was rolling around back when I was JO. Social Media wasn't even a gleam in anyone's eye yet.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I think we’re talking about TG 2 here, not TG 1.
Fair point. I'm still beating the TG1 horse which is probably quite dead. However, it's not like there are a lot of late bloomers regarding people skills. Having said all that. I'm a TC fan. I like his movies. I think he's weird. I will go see TG2 for sure and probably more than once...after all, seeing TG 1 when I was in 8th grade was the whole reason I joined the Navy. I still remember the moment in my life (summer between High School and College) when I realized Mav was not the guy I wanted to be since he actually kinda sucks.

Anyway, it's time we get back to Naval Aviation's roots: so let's kick the tires, light the fires, first one the air is lead, brief on guard.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fair point. I'm still beating the TG1 horse which is probably quite dead. However, it's not like there are a lot of late bloomers regarding people skills. Having said all that. I'm a TC fan. I like his movies. I think he's weird. I will go see TG2 for sure and probably more than once...after all, seeing TG 1 when I was in 8th grade was the whole reason I joined the Navy. I still remember the moment in my life (summer between High School and College) when I realized Mav was not the guy I wanted to be since he actually kinda sucks.

Anyway, it's time we get back to Naval Aviation's roots: so let's kick the tires, light the fires, first one the air is lead, brief on guard.

I get the impression that there are two Tom Cruises (Cruzes?). One was a very young new actor trying to do his thing while also being in a challenging environment. The other is the more mature Cruise we see today who, be it through self-determination or Xenu, has seized life and taken charge.

I say that because many of us here on the board had an XO who was the Mig pilot in the movie. He spent a lot of time with the cast and said that most of them hung out with the pilots but Cruise was distant. He also said Cruise struggled in the jet. He said he got the impression that TC felt a little out of place and that's why he was distant with the Navy guys at the time.

I can't prove it, but I get the feeling he started flying his Pitts as a way to conquer his issues in the Tomcat. I'm sure starting to drive with Newman helped fuel his action passion, too. Well, that and money.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I'm a Tom Cruise fan and definitely grew up watching Top Gun, hence why I'm a Navy pilot. BUT, I think this is his best work yet (no sarcasm, it's my favorite movie):
81hs6V1chfL._SY500_.jpg

Farva01

BKR
pilot
I'm a Tom Cruise fan and definitely grew up watching Top Gun, hence why I'm a Navy pilot. BUT, I think this is his best work yet (no sarcasm, it's my favorite movie):
81hs6V1chfL._SY500_.jpg
You mean the movie where a young Tom Cruise plays a character who has his own way of doing things, must learn to work with his crewmates (to include one who starts out at his rival), while also wooing a female doctor who is analyzing him. And for the finale, has to overcome his fear of a crash to triumph?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You mean the movie where a young Tom Cruise plays a character who has his own way of doing things, must learn to work with his crewmates (to include one who starts out at his rival), while also wooing a female doctor who is analyzing him. And for the finale, has to overcome his fear of a crash to triumph?

That is also a Tony Scott film, produced by Simpson/Bruckheimer. It always was TG2 with a different name.

AULANI

He also said Cruise struggled in the jet. He said he got the impression that TC felt a little out of place and that's why he was distant with the Navy guys at the time.

I can't prove it, but I get the feeling he started flying his Pitts as a way to conquer his issues in the Tomcat. I'm sure starting to drive with Newman helped fuel his action passion, too. Well, that and money.
I think I read somewhere that Tom Cruise struggled (still struggles?) with dyslexia. Maybe that's why he had a hard time in the jet. Who knows.

I'm just mad that whenever I put on my summer whites I don't immediately have to get into a dogfight somewhere in the Indian Ocean.