• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got to peak behind the curtain at a TLAM course I took just a little while ago, the guy in charge? A former Hornet guy. Suck it shoes!
Guy that was in the scif and always on the road doing TLAM stuff for NAVEUR when I was there in the mid 90s was a bug pilot. RIP Q-Tip.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The TLAM program is a NAVAIR program so I'm not sure why that's so surprising.

Yep, and someone from the F/A-18 community should have a solid grasp of TLAM fundamentals, particularly if they're senior enough to have gone through the SLUI (strike lead) syllabus. Generally, they should be a good choice to lead the program.

Bottom line: target the SAMS and the enemy airfield so your Hornets can fly down the Death Star trench and bomb the thermal exhaust port using the force with no targeting computer.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, and someone from the F/A-18 community should have a solid grasp of TLAM fundamentals, particularly if they're senior enough to have gone through the SLUI (strike lead) syllabus. Generally, they should be a good choice to lead the program.

Bottom line: target the SAMS and the enemy airfield so your Hornets can fly down the Death Star trench and bomb the thermal exhaust port using the force with no targeting computer.
"Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives. The trick is not to be around when they go off."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

This guy gets it. :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The TLAM program is a NAVAIR program so I'm not sure why that's so surprising.

I was actually talking about the strike planning piece, something I was long vaguely aware of but it was interesting to see how the sausage was made planning-wise and while learning about the missiles themselves. I had a CAG selectee go through the class with me and I think it was standard part of their training if they didn't have exposure before.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TLAM planner: “You get a smoking hole, and you get rubble, and you only get a F-kill but we’ll still take it, and you get…”
The TACRON gouge pack I once had talked about “Flying Monkey Syndrome,” when the CSG TLAM planners never talked to the ESG planners to deconflict the AOA, and then a bunch of TLAMs came zorching through like the flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think I mentioned this before, but one of the dets from my first squadron was pooping along the first night OIF kicked off when all of a sudden a big plume of fire erupted out of the water right in front of them. They obviously tried to quickly find an exit strategy.

Good old FFG situational awareness strikes again, but hey, CERTSUB!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think I mentioned this before, but one of the dets from my first squadron was pooping along the first night OIF kicked off when all of a sudden a big plume of fire erupted out of the water right in front of them. They obviously tried to quickly find an exit strategy.

Good old FFG situational awareness strikes again, but hey, CERTSUB!
Shot down by a sub launched Tomahawk. That will put you in the history books.