• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trader Jon's...gone, but not forgotten

WOLFSON

Apparently Trader Jon's was a big deal back in the day. Any of the older members care to elaborate?

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 318

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Trader Jon's was GREAT ... always lots of fun ... it was a mandatory rite of passage for Naval Aviators and NAVAIR STUDs starting in the '50's ... ironically, post-Tailhook Navy P.C. in the "leadership ranks" ultimately killed TJ's ... :sleep_125

Martin "Trader Jon" Weissman (1915-2000) R.I.P.

TRADER JON's - Pensapedia ..

TRADER JON's ...

One man's opinion: there is no present replacement for the camaraderie and experiences that were to be had "back then" ... :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I worked the Blues Homecoming airshow in '03 as a stash ENS. Stood around in whites all day at the Blues' VIP section and was dead on my feet. My buddy gave me a call to come down to Trader's that night and party; I declined because I was already half asleep.

Had I known that was the last Saturday night at Trader Jon's I'd have sacked up and gone. God damn it. :icon_rage

exhelodrvr

pilot
Trader Jon's was GREAT ... always lots of fun ... it was a mandatory rite of passage for Naval Aviators and NAVAIR STUDs starting in the '50's ... ironically, post-Tailhook Navy P.C. in the "leadership ranks" ultimately killed TJ's ... :sleep_125

Martin "Trader Jon" Weissman (1915-2000) R.I.P.

TRADER JON's - Pensapedia ..

TRADER JON's ...

One man's opinion: there is no present replacement for the camaraderie and experiences that were to be had "back then" ... :)

What he said.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have no fear, Trader Jon's is returning. Sorta. Or at least, in the same way that the Cubi O-Club returned. TJ's will be "recreated" to some extent as the restaurant-bar of the Fetterman Maritime Museum in Pensacola when/if it ever gets built.

It's not perfect, but it's something.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Another place that was periodically "good" -- when it was in operation -- was the ol' San Carlos Hotel on Palafox & Garden St. , a.k.a. "The Gray Lady of Palafox" ... the bar and the ballroom provided some good moments when the management could financially keep it open. It predated Seville Quarter -- i.e., there was nothing "commercial" at the present-day Seville location with the possible exception of Rosie O'Grady's which was in it's infancy and developed over the years after the late '60's ...

San Carlos Hotel

San%20Carlos%20Hotel%202.jpg
300px-Sancarlos.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Goes to the "use it or lose it" doctrine--those of you who bitch about how lame things are compared to the mythical "good old days"--look in the mirror!

There was nothing magical about the old farts, except for perhaps an inhuman ability to tell long stories. What makes a unit/station fun or not is the people in it.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
I went there a few times with my dad when I was in flight school (94-95).

He was there back in 59/60 and spent many a night at TJs.

What with all the memoribilia and photos on the wall, it was like a remote site for the Naval Aviation museum on mainside.

It definitely brought back a few memories for him...including the fact that Trader was still watering down the booze.:icon_tong

My memory consists of the fact that no matter how drunk I got that night...the waitress/beer wench NEVER even approached the realm of being attractive.:(

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, it was a serious trip down memory lane and a wealth of naval aviation memorabilia, photos, flight gear and models.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Traders was like an aviation museum. No matter how many times you go there, you could always see something new hanging on the walls or ceiling. Every AOCS candidate went there at one point on his first libbo. Cheap beer, great atmosphere, and awesome history.

When I was a candidate I was only 19. Trader himself told the doorman to let me in.

"He's wearing a uniform......so let him in"

They also had a great candid photo of George H.W. Bush in Traders circa 1975ish. Anybody remember it?

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Went there at least a bit every single liberty night while at AOCS. What a place for a young, wannabe to hang out with lthe Real Deals and learn how to behave in public - for the most part. Never forget the first Rolling Rock Trader Comp'd to me the night before I started AOCS. Of course, back then the Rock was considered skunk beer only worth giving away...