• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trader Jon's...gone, but not forgotten

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's easier for a CO to say no than yes. If something happens off base, a base CO doesn't have to worry about it. He can say, "I don't allow that kind of crap at my club." Of course, that's because it's only open for lunch, Fri 16-1800, and alternating Wednesdays with full moons. If he were to say, "Party on, just keep it at the club," and something happpened, then there's hell to pay.

Same principle for squadrons. It's always easier to ratchet down harder and harder or discourage drinking altogether than to encourage comraderie.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hell to the damn yeah...

I would've liked to have seen TJ's brought back as a full-service bar adjacent to the NMNA - a la the Cubi Point - and I heard that was the plan at one point.

Still...better than nothing.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Due to FP concerns, opening anything new on base to the public is a non-starter.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Due to FP concerns, opening anything new on base to the public is a non-starter.

Really?

In any case, what was proposed (so I heard, for what it's worth) was either an on-site Museum expansion, or an "annex" of the Museum at the waterfront park downtown (so, not far from TJ's original site). When it closed the family donated the memorabilia to the Museum, at any rate.
ba8dd38e-d6a3-4612-b234-c643acc4211e_d.JPG

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really really. NNAM is very lucky to have their FP waiver.

I guess that's so. I imagine some convoluted discussions behind the scenes. But they did open that Space Camp-style thing not long ago.

Biggest problem it caused when I was instructing there was all the newly-reporting ensigns thinking the "Authorized Personnel Only Past This Point" signs applied to them, and calling the quarterdeck in a panic because they couldn't figure out how to get to NASC.

tarjas

Alooo-haaa
None
Prior to Chattanooga.

(God, that aviation camp thing. What a shitshow.)

Yeah? got some behind the scenes from a buddy who was on the Chattanooga investigation, that was a shit show. wrt nat flight academy, haven't really gotten that perception of it but haven't really paid close attention- my kids have done some stuff over there that they seemed to like. nice facility we occasionally use for this or that...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The books are not good for the flight academy. Which isn't great, since the foundation is on the hook for a lot of money for that building.