• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trader Jon's...gone, but not forgotten

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I worked the Blues Homecoming airshow in '03 as a stash ENS. Stood around in whites all day at the Blues' VIP section and was dead on my feet. My buddy gave me a call to come down to Trader's that night and party; I declined because I was already half asleep.

Had I known that was the last Saturday night at Trader Jon's I'd have sacked up and gone. God damn it. :icon_rage

A friend and I had our T-45 solo cross countries to Gulfport-Biloxi. We got a rental car and drove the 2 hours to Pensacola. It was a joy being there for the last Saturday at TJ's. Sorry, I had to rub it in.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The Pensapedia write up only sort of answered the question that I have...Why did it close? Did the restaurateurs after Trader suck, or has the concept of a bar that caters only to the military become so completely untenable without some force like Trader Joe himself?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The Pensapedia write up only sort of answered the question that I have...Why did it close? Did the restaurateurs after Trader suck, or has the concept of a bar that caters only to the military become so completely untenable without some force like Trader Joe himself?

The new management was, by conventional bar standards, better than Trader's. They, as the article stated, brought bands and better beer. They actively sought big private parties--for awhile they had a ton of winging parties. Unfortunately, they also lacked Trader.

Also, the all Navy, all the time atmosphere killed it too. A lot of the older guys would go periodically to hang, but they're not regular drinkers. The young guys who are want (1) not to hang around old guys like IPs (2) to find poon, which Trader's didn't have in either the waitresses or clientele.

USN99

USN99
None
I might resemble that comment!

Goes to the "use it or lose it" doctrine--those of you who bitch about how lame things are compared to the mythical "good old days"--look in the mirror!

There was nothing magical about the old farts, except for perhaps an inhuman ability to tell long stories. What makes a unit/station fun or not is the people in it.

I've got my TJs box checked back when I was going through P'Cola on my way to Wings of Gold, etc., etc., back when A-6s were still in the fleet, and A-4s were still on the ramp at Sherman Field (the jet not that other guy, the Sage of AW). Nevertheless, Phrog is essentially correct. There's nothing magical about old farts and what makes a unit fun is the people. :sleep_125

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Now you just have to mainstream it. For every one O1 to O4 who have bought into it there are a thousand who haven't even heard the message. It's tough to get past the rock music and hoola-hoops.

MasterBates

That's why the O-Club thing needs to go Viral..

Invite your friends who don't go. A portion of them will have a good time and invite their friends, etc..

Getting big-wigs involved don't hurt.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
i get made fun of by IPs when they ask what I'm doing for the weekend and I say O-club. Not that I give two shits about taking heat about the O-club, but WTF is wrong with Naval Aviation??

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
WTF is wrong with the O CLubs is a better question. It wasn't as though everyone woke up one day and stopped going to the clubs, there was a long sad history of post Tailhook policies on bases, bad service at the clubs and better options out in town.
If your campaign to reinvigorate the club is going to succeed you are going to have to overcome about 20 years "I would rather go drinking out in town" on the part of the Os and "we can charge twice what bars out in town charge for a keg because we are the club."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WTF is wrong with the O CLubs is a better question. It wasn't as though everyone woke up one day and stopped going to the clubs, there was a long sad history of post Tailhook policies on bases, bad service at the clubs and better options out in town.
If your campaign to reinvigorate the club is going to succeed you are going to have to overcome about 20 years "I would rather go drinking out in town" on the part of the Os and "we can charge twice what bars out in town charge for a keg because we are the club."
And given the fact that there were about 60 Ensigns and 1 LT there last night in P-cola, wait 5 years for the Ensigns to pick up LT and mentor more Ensigns. There are people coming in every year who don't have 20 years of the above sentiments.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
And given the fact that there were about 60 Ensigns and 1 LT there last night in P-cola, wait 5 years for the Ensigns to pick up LT and mentor more Ensigns. There are people coming in every year who don't have 20 years of the above sentiments.

And then when Master becomes a base CO he can really get his club kickin'. Oh wait...I see the problem.;)