• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transition from helos to jets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynsail

pilot
As far as transitioning platforms in the Navy, would that be a career killer if you had planned on doing 20?

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Thread Divert: "Better Off Dead" - one of the greatest movies of all time!

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
46Driver said:
Thread Divert: "Better Off Dead" - one of the greatest movies of all time!

Truly an Eighties classic. I still want a '67 camaro some day.

"Two Dollars!"

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously, I vote to turn this thread into Better Off Dead appreciation. Use the damn search function to re-hash transition issues.

The only thing that sucks in that movie is the claymation hamburger, man I HATE that part.

"FRONCH FRIES, and FRONCH BREAD, and FRONCH DRESSING."

You bought that 'car' because it was 'boss'.

flynsail

pilot
Well to continue this appreciate for Better Off Dead, perhaps more of you would consider changing your avatar and signature. If so, I have a fan site I found that has good quotes and pics. Not trying to advertise the site, found it while surfing for a good deal to buy the DVD, but I will post the link if anyone is interested.

"For god's sake Lane, would you relax? It's just our virginity!"

Broadsword2004

Is there an age limit on transitioning? For example, if you are say 29 in a helo, is there an age limit to transition to jets (in the Marine Corps)?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Broadsword2004 said:
Is there an age limit on transitioning? For example, if you are say 29 in a helo, is there an age limit to transition to jets (in the Marine Corps)?

What's with your obsession with the jet transition? I'm telling you, once a person gets into a platform, he/she is going to like it. A person should set goals but understand that not achieving that goal is not the end all. Flying helo's, C-130's or jets is all a good deal.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Broadsword2004 said:

Bunk makes a good point... another point. Becareful talking like that in a sqd. Do you really want to offend all the IP's that came from different communities when you are asking them how to transition out of the community if you get stuck with it.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
what's it matter?
you're not a Marine, student naval aviator, naval aviator, or helo/prop pilot.... so WHY DOES IT MATTER? Worry about those first, then think about transitions.

/tired of seeing the same thread over and over.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
squeeze said:
what's it matter?
you're not a Marine, student naval aviator, naval aviator, or helo/prop pilot.... so WHY DOES IT MATTER? Worry about those first, then think about transitions.

Well said. I just didn't feel like being mean today so I thought I'd take another approach.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The transition is pretty easy to get because it is good for the Navy. It prevents the Navy from having to train someone up totally from scratch and you will get back to the fleet quickly. Normal shore tours are about two and a half or three years. If you do a transition, you will be back in the fleet real quick.

Not so much the case. There are only about 20-30 people in the Navy selected a year for transition and it depends on several factors. The needs of the Navy, which right now is chock full of aviators, whether your old community is willing to let you go and if the community that you are going to is willing to take you. When I did it you had to go to a particular community, I noticed in the last board results they had several TACAIR selectees, they must be changing it a little. Oh, and one more hurdle, your CO has to agree to it. I know several guys whose Skippers told them "Hell no".

Kara Hultgreen flew EA-6A's (Intruders with some Prowler avionics, that is the short and simple) with VAQ-33, an electronic aggressor squadron out of Key West in the early 90's. That was the only way women could fy jets back then. The first woman to command a squadorn in the Navy commanded VAQ-34, the west coast squadron.

Broadsword2004

bunk22 said:
What's with your obsession with the jet transition? I'm telling you, once a person gets into a platform, he/she is going to like it. A person should set goals but understand that not achieving that goal is not the end all. Flying helo's, C-130's or jets is all a good deal.

No, not true. If I was flying C-130s, I would NOT like that. Helicopters and pretty much anything else I'd like though. However, even with helos, I'd still like jets a lot more I think, so if I got into helos for whatever reason, I'd still try to transfer to jets.

And bch, I don't think that would severely "offend" everyone in that community; you go for what you want in the military, if you don't get it, whatever, you're a Marine first and foremost, but if the opportunity is given to get what you want and you can try for it, then hell yeah I would try for it.

If you go enlisted and want to go Green-to-Gold, you can get a lot of crap from the higher-ranking enlisted guys since you want to go officer. But if that is what you want, you should go for it.

Broadsword2004

And regardless of what Kara Haltgreen flew, she wanted to be a fighter jet pilot badly, and she was given the opportunity to try for it.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Broadsword2004 said:
No, not true. If I was flying C-130s, I would NOT like that. Helicopters and pretty much anything else I'd like though. However, even with helos, I'd still like jets a lot more I think, so if I got into helos for whatever reason, I'd still try to transfer to jets.

And bch, I don't think that would severely "offend" everyone in that community; you go for what you want in the military, if you don't get it, whatever, you're a Marine first and foremost, but if the opportunity is given to get what you want and you can try for it, then hell yeah I would try for it.

If you go enlisted and want to go Green-to-Gold, you can get a lot of crap from the higher-ranking enlisted guys since you want to go officer. But if that is what you want, you should go for it.

How would you know?!? Have you flown a jet, helo or -130. Have you been to flight school and talked to the mostly P-3 IP's and told them how you would not like their community?

What you see on TV is not what the different communities are like. U just sat there and mouthed off to 3 guys in three different pipelines, who actually know what we are talking about.

Word of advise... tone it down and try learning a bit about all the communities and not being that "jet or nothing kid"

Status
Not open for further replies.