• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transition from helos to jets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadsword2004

Communities are different; I get what you're saying, but I am referring to the aircraft themselves.

I would prefer an aircraft that is rather exciting to fly, not something that is slow and that can't be maneuvered around much. I have read of jet pilots that come out of jets and go into commercial airliners and say it is more boring than ever.

And I am not a "jet or nothing kid," I am just saying, if I don't get jets, but then get the opportunity to try again for them, I will try.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
U have no idea what you are talking about. I have seen -130's get flogged by their pilots underneath my helo( I was at 500ft) as I fly around eglin. That very well could be some of the most hairraising flying I have ever seen... not to mention some of the strips they land at.

As far as exciting flying, TRY FLYING THESE A/C first b4 you decide that what you read or saw on TV is the way it actually is!

I cannot emphasize enough: YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Crowbar

None
Broadsword2004 said:
No, not true. If I was flying C-130s, I would NOT like that. Helicopters and pretty much anything else I'd like though. However, even with helos, I'd still like jets a lot more I think, so if I got into helos for whatever reason, I'd still try to transfer to jets.

And bch, I don't think that would severely "offend" everyone in that community; you go for what you want in the military, if you don't get it, whatever, you're a Marine first and foremost, but if the opportunity is given to get what you want and you can try for it, then hell yeah I would try for it.

If you go enlisted and want to go Green-to-Gold, you can get a lot of crap from the higher-ranking enlisted guys since you want to go officer. But if that is what you want, you should go for it.

All this coming from someone who a week ago was begging people to decide for him whether he should go ground or air? I don't get it.
I agree with everything bch just said. It's okay to have goals but just getting into OCS is tough enough. You also have to graduate college. Then OCS. Then TBS. Then API. Then Primary, and right around there you get the chance to pick what you want to fly. If you are right now a college grad you are still probably at least 2 years away from that point. It's good to look ahead, I do it, too. But I haven't said "If I don't get (X) I may as well just resign my commission and sell used cars forever because life isn't worth living." Hell, I tell people if something happens and I have to take a ground MOS, I don't care because I'm just thrilled to have made it this far. If you have a closed mind you are setting yourself up for a miserable life.....

Broadsword2004

Yeah, I am not THAT closed-minded, and I get what you guys are saying, you all probably think I am a pin-prick college kid who doesn't know what he is talking about; well in truth I am I guess, as I don't know what I am talking about, but I mean I am not a all "jets or helos or I sell cars for life" type either.

It is actually refreshing to get these viewpoints, but I mean I will speak my mindset if questioned about it, if I am wrong as I apparently am, then by all means correct me.

From my point of view, I could have said, "I would not like C-130s," and everyone could have said, "All aircraft are cool, but if you want a real challenge try to get jets etc...." I don't know, so I state my opinions.

Sorry if I sounded like such a prick, but the military is a big decision, so I like to determine answers as best I can to my questions.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
speaking your mind is one thing... but we tried to be nice at first... TAKE THE ADVICE and tone it down a bit

Broadsword2004

Well I never "just take advice" on forums because then someone else comes in saying, "No, that isn't true, blah blah blah" in reference to what the person said who's advice you just took, and you're like, "Oh man, now I'm confused again," so I will tend to argue something if I think it can be argued.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude,
Seriously this forum is pretty good for advise not all knowing but there is a fairly knowledgable group here from OCS right through second fleet tour guys.
Worry about things in this order 1. surviving OCS 2. graduating college 3. commisoining 4. TBS 5. API 6. Primary 7. selection 8. Advanced 9. The RAG 10. Your fleet squadron wherever it may be 11. A B billet or shore tour (this is about the eight to ten year mark from the begining) now think about a transition tour if you want to start all over in a new community.

Do know anyone named Tango1?
just kidding well sort of, you kinda remind me of him

Broadsword2004

Well from what I read, your shore tour would be the training for the other aircraft if you want to transition and are allowed to do so.

In one of those books on fighter pilots though, the author describes a helicopter pilot who transitioned to the jets.

So yeah I will wait and see and of course worry about all the other things, but transitioning will never leave my mind if I don't get the aircraft I want unless I really really like it with that group (that is if they would allow me to transfer).

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
navy 7G712 cleared for takeoff, fly the THREADLOCK1 departure, contact departure button 6, good day.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Broadsword2004 said:
If you go enlisted and want to go Green-to-Gold, you can get a lot of crap from the higher-ranking enlisted guys since you want to go officer. But if that is what you want, you should go for it.

Ok, tossing in my bs flag here. NEVER did I catch any crap from my Chief or Master Chief or ANY other Chief for that matter. I got nothing but support when I put in my STA-21 package last year or this year. Yeah I catch a few jokes but they're all in fun. I'm going to college paid for by the Navy. Not only that but I will remain Enlisted throughout that time. I will continue to get leave and eligible for advancement (although I think it's probably not likely to pick up Chief while in this program).

Ok, done ranting, continue....

Broadsword2004

BTW, I didn't mean that as any smart-alic reply, I just mean, it WAS an enlisted guy who told that to me, so I guess it CAN happen.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
Dude,

Yes some senior enlisted give you the old "nice chin, it will make a good ball rest" crap, but most of the time it is in good fun. Secondly, anyone who doesn't support his/her people advancing and moving up is a sorry sack'o'sh#t anyway. I don't know any chief or above who doesn't want to see his people get picked up for any program. If for no other reason, they can put it on their fitrep for people advanced in their department etc. etc...so, don't always believe what someone says....your enlisted friend might be pissed off because he/she didn't get ppicked up and is making excuses for it......

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy 7G712 cleared for takeoff, fuel caps secure, three up and LOCKED, switching button 6 . . .

Reactions: bch
Status
Not open for further replies.