• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Two Hornets in mid-air over Gulf...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Reminds me of the movie "Charlie Wilson's War" where the Mujahadeen shoot down first a Prowler/Intruder looking plane, then a Huey, and then an F-16... Funny as hell...

hah....I saw that last night and was thinking the same thing. Told my girlfriend and she just looked at me like I was an idiot....

yes, don't forget the target F-4 with the white and red paint :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
CVW-3 consists of Strike Fighter Squadrons (VFA) 11, VFA-32, VFA-37 and VFA-105; Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron 130; Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 126; and Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron 7.

Are there a lot fewer aircraft on the carrier now days, or is the number of aircraft per squadron larger?

Back when I was on TR with CVW-8 there were 2 VF, 2 VFA, 2 VA, 1 VAW, 1 VS, 1 VAQ and 1 HS.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
CVW-3 consists of Strike Fighter Squadrons (VFA) 11, VFA-32, VFA-37 and VFA-105; Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron 130; Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 126; and Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron 7.

Are there a lot fewer aircraft on the carrier now days, or is the number of aircraft per squadron larger?

Back when I was on TR with CVW-8 there were 2 VF, 2 VFA, 2 VA, 1 VAW, 1 VS, 1 VAQ and 1 HS.

I think the average is 4 VFA, 1 VS (for airwings still lucky enough to have Hoovs), 1 VAW, 1 VAQ, 1 HS.

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?

12 Rhinos/Hornets per squadron (So 48 total), 4 Prowlers,4 Hummers, Unsure of how many Seahawks..4-6 I'd presume. Then for the few airwings that still use VS squadrons..Is it 6 or 8 Hoovers per squadron? I'm thinking 6.

That's between 66-70 acft per CVW if I got the numbers right.

Glad to hear the guys made it out unharmed. :)

Pugs

Back from the range
None

And don't forget that the A-6's were 16 jets each all bombers and the VAQ and VAW were five planes each. Best power projection airwing ever. Would have only gotten better had the F-14's been bombcats but after the "Fallon incident" during workups they needed a little more time and software before that happened.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Glad everybody got out okay; that's far from assured in any mid-air.

As for the "three pilots" thing...it's hard enough explaining what NFOs are to people in the military. Try doing it with media folks who have zippo comprehension of military hardware.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And don't forget that the A-6's were 16 jets each all bombers and the VAQ and VAW were five planes each. Best power projection airwing ever. Would have only gotten better had the F-14's been bombcats but after the "Fallon incident" during workups they needed a little more time and software before that happened.

From what I have read a lot of the A-6 squadrons were just 10 aircraft, it varied from air wing to air wing. But I have no personal experince with them, other than the guano collectors down at the park in Oak Harbor and the gate guard at NAS.

'Fallon incident'?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
it's hard enough explaining what NFOs are to people in the military. Try doing it with media folks who have zippo comprehension of military hardware.

But as Bunk would say "Don't go posing though" (excuse given by Whiterock as to why he said he was a pilot when he was actually a backseater: too hard to explain to people what he did)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
But as Bunk would say "Don't go posing though" (excuse given by Whiterock as to why he said he was a pilot when he was actually a backseater: too hard to explain to people what he did)

Wow....a 'Whiterock/Blackstar/whatever his multiple names were" reference. Part of the posers Hall Of Shame. Good comapny for Skeeter and Flathatter et al. All victims of the Bunkinator and A4's bullshit detector.

phrogpilot73

Wow....a 'Whiterock/Blackstar/whatever his multiple names were" reference. Part of the posers Hall Of Shame. Good comapny for Skeeter and Flathatter et al. All victims of the Bunkinator and A4's bullshit detector.
Did I miss a thread or two?!? I don't remember Whiterock or Blackstar... Perhaps a Sticky thread detailing the posers Hall of Shame, and their dubious claims. It would serve as a warning to all future posers that the BS detectors are good over here...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did I miss a thread or two?!? I don't remember Whiterock or Blackstar... Perhaps a Sticky thread detailing the posers Hall of Shame, and their dubious claims. It would serve as a warning to all future posers that the BS detectors are good over here...

But who to moderate same....hmmm...calling Bunk, Poser Hunter!

dogbountyhunter.jpg