• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Two Hornets in mid-air over Gulf...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But as Bunk would say "Don't go posing though" (excuse given by Whiterock as to why he said he was a pilot when he was actually a backseater: too hard to explain to people what he did)

Never gonna happen. I just say, "Like a pilot, but smarter..." :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
From what I have read a lot of the A-6 squadrons were just 10 aircraft, it varied from air wing to air wing. But I have no personal experince with them, other than the guano collectors down at the park in Oak Harbor and the gate guard at NAS......
A-6's used to start the cruise w/16 birds -- 12 bombers and 4 tankers ... a "standard" load-out, as much as any Air Wing is "standard". Sometimes that number "12" would get bumped up or down a couple with a "B" or a "C" .... but that was usually when there were some other tanker assets in the Air Wing, i.e., some KA-3's or other buddy store birds. With the advent of the A-6E and the departure of the B's and C's, the load-out stayed pretty much @ 12/4 in the Intruder 'rons.

The Air Wing always strove to have 4 tankers, however .... sometimes I think CAG Ops would rather have 12 tankers and 4 bombers. :)

The B's, C's, and tankers -- KA-6's -- were considered Fleet assets and generally were passed from the out-chop to an in-chop squadron @ CUBI. The Air Wing would keep a couple of KA's for the transPac back to CONUS -- still had to clear Bear Country -- but some of the transit tanking "slack" was taken up w/buddy stores on the bombers.

A typical CONUS A-6 squadron was only 8-10 birds, depending on where the squadron was in the turnaround training cycle. Other considerations included how many birds needed to cycle through AIMD, and the occasional combat/operational losses which could not be made up in 7th Fleet w/assets
from the deployed squadrons and was therefore sustained and even supplemented from the stocks of the CONUS squadrons. Makes for a nice transPac w/stops @ Midway and Wake.

VQ-1 dets were usually 2-3 Whales (didn't have the deck space for any more and they shuttled back & forth from Guam each week, anyway) and the VAQ EA-6 'rons always cruised with 4 birds once they got up and runnin', which was their normal complement during the CONUS turnaround, all things being equal.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Anyone seen a follow on release with names/squadrons? I've got the gouge from the grapevine, haven't seen the official navy statement yet though.

fudog50

Flash! The A-6 "guano collector" is gone from city beach. It now sits at the corner of Ault Field Rd. and Hwy 20 on a stick along with a Prowler on a stick with no Pods!

I tried to do the math myself when AP reported 2 hornets down and 3 pilots? At least they finally got it right.

Also, CAG-2 deploys on our ship Lincoln with HSL-47 (B to sea) which adds 8-12 H-60's to the mix depending on the det. So we got 65-67.

B to sea was a prototype conop since 2004 which apparently has stayed a prototype, I guess until MH-60R finally gets with the airwings.

S3Dude

pilot
The guy from -105 is a good friend, but I'll refrain from posting names here until it's official.

S3Dude

pilot
You mean they may not have had a midair? When will we find out for sure?

I definitely didn't say that, I only know what you guys know from the news and whatnot... I do know that he couldn't tell his wife anything more than he ejected and he was OK, everything else has been from the news or word of mouth.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I definitely didn't say that, I only know what you guys know from the news and whatnot... I do know that he couldn't tell his wife anything more than he ejected and he was OK, everything else has been from the news or word of mouth.

I know him too, got an e-mail from his wife and him the other day.