• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unbelievable Zimbabwe

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinRock

I just received some currency from Zimbabwe sent by a farmer friend of mine there. (also a pilot)
I have a 50 Billion Dollar note, two One Billion dollar notes, a Milllon Dollar note, and one for 10 dollars. Will try to do pics of these crisp new notes.
If the US economy keeps going the way it is, perhaps this is a guideline for the US Dollar?
Simply freakin incredible.
Comments?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I just received some currency from Zimbabwe sent by a farmer friend of mine there. (also a pilot)
I have a 50 Billion Dollar note, two One Billion dollar notes, a Milllon Dollar note, and one for 10 dollars. Will try to do pics of these crisp new notes.
If the US economy keeps going the way it is, perhaps this is a guideline for the US Dollar?
Simply freakin incredible.
Comments?

Those are even the biggest - they introduced $100BN bills not too long before essentially abandoning the currency. Fortunately, I don't think our inflation will be approaching the 300 MILLION % point anytime soon.

phrogpilot73

So I was curious... went to xe.com... Here's the result:

50,000,000,000.00 ZWD = 861,474,844.93 USD

Your buddy is generous... Oh, wait - Notice: The Zimbabwe government redenominated the ZWD again on February 2, 2009 at a rate of 1,000,000,000,000 old ZWD to 1 new ZWD.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They did the same in Brazil in '90 to curb inflation...simply moved the decimal point three digits to the left on all currency.

Some paper money was actually blowing in the streets as it was basically worthless.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The place was better off as Rhodesia.

Maybe so, but 95% of the population was disenfranchised then too so it wasn't all peaches and cream to say the least. And pretty much anything is better than the state of the country now, so that ain't saying much.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The place was better off as Rhodesia.
It was outstanding in 1974 and so were the Rhodesians no matter what their "skin" ... and Salisbury was a great "liberty" town.

EVERYONE ... black or white was better off then .. no matter what the political system or anyone's personal view of it.

Believe it.

snake020

Contributor
They did the same in Brazil in '90 to curb inflation...simply moved the decimal point three digits to the left on all currency.

Some paper money was actually blowing in the streets as it was basically worthless.

I had a friend who was in Brazil all of 1993; he said the restaurants laminated the menus and rewrote the prices with a sharpie as the day progressed. Their currency become very stable since plano real went into effect in 1994.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was outstanding in 1974 and so were the Rhodesians no matter what their "skin".....EVERYONE ... black or white was better off then .. no matter what the political system or anyone's personal view of it.

Like I said, it is not too hard to be much better than the shithole it is now. Just because the current system is crap certainly doesn't make the old system right, no matter how good a liberty town Salissbury was, there ain't much debating that.

So if I may ask, what happened? (In your views)

Mugabe. South Africa was fortunate to have Mandela, who was ready to forgive most sins of the previous rulers and was more interested in his country than his own personal enrichment. While it ain't all peaches and roses in South Africa it is infinitely better than their neighbor Zimbabwe, which ended up with a much worse successor to white rule. It is actually pretty damn nice in many places actually, Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... Just because the current system is crap certainly doesn't make the old system right....
Actually ... it was "right" for the country AND the times ... there's just no denying it, no matter how hard one might try to PC it to death. Not every country works like the USA or needs or shares our value system ... some countries even "work" better under their own tried and proven systems ... :)

An example?? The P.I. .... MUCH better (and safer) under marshal law than operating as currently constituted -- a "democracy" ... what a laugh.

Like it or not; that's a fact, Jack. Believe that.

Some guys I met and knew who took me "home": link ... PAMWE CHETE!

For the more superficial, instant-gratification-oriented amongst us: link ... Selous Scouts - Wiki

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually ... it was "right" for the country AND the times ... there's just no denying it, no matter how hard one might try to PC it to death. Not every country works like the USA or needs or shares our value system ... some countries even "work" better under their own tried and proven systems ... :)

Well, shockingly enough there are plenty of people who would deny it. I have no idea how a system where well over 90% of the people have no say in the government is 'right', no matter how you cut it. Especially one from just 30 years ago. Several other countries with white minorities in that region have gotten along fine with everyone enfranchised, Botswana a longer term example, South Africa and Namibia being more recent. I would argue the prolonged civil war and delayed 'independence' harmed more than helped the country.

An example?? The P.I. .... MUCH better (and safer) under marshal law than operating as currently constituted -- a "democracy" ... what a laugh.

Like it or not; that's a fact, Jack. Believe that.

Better for who, the local women's shoe industry?

And it ain't a fact just because you say so, no matter how hard you try. :D

P.S. It's martial. ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well, shockingly enough there are plenty of people who would deny it....P.S. It's martial. ;)
Right, I know it's "martial", Marshal Dillon ... I lived it in the P.I. ... :)

If you'd "been there" during the periods I'm talking about there would be no discussion -- except in your case, there probably would as you'll never get it.
The Philippines were better than today, Rhodesia was better than today. I thought that's what we were talking about ?? ... but since you brought them up:

There's also plenty of people who wouldn't deny it w/ regards to Africa, so you can chose what you want to believe. I know that I do ....

Namibia and Botswana are both shadows or at least "close" clones of South Africa in many ways and in terms of economic development. They both piggy-back on South Africa; always have, always will ... if SA does "well", so do they ... but if not??

Namibia - huge HIV/AIDs epidemic rate @ 25% and it's not getting "better", lots of malaria, 30%+ unemployment, and no one lives there -- nice diamonds, though. I think their population density is on the order of Mongolia and the majority of the population is on a subsistence basis. Basically, no one cares ... and did I mention ?? -- nobody lives there?

Botswana -
As free market economy as you'll see in Africa ... but nobody lives there, once again. Dependent upon diamonds and mining, once again, for their national economic base. Dependent upon SA for most of their power generation. They've lost population in the past 5 years. HIV/AIDs epidemic on the order of 25% of the population and it's not getting "better", life expectancy @ 35-40 years.

South Africa - huge HIV/AIDs epidemic @ 25% of the population and it's not getting "better", violent crime post-Afrikaner rule consistently puts them in the UN's top 2-5 in all categories of violent crime, can't generate enough power on a consistent basis, huge corruption in government, increasing poverty, brain-drain since "democracy", and now they're starting to beat up and kill poor(er) African country migrants.

The HIV/AIDs epidemic, alone, is going to break their backs in the future, socially, spiritually, and economically.

Africa is a basket case. Again, you can believe what you chose to believe, Marshal Dillon.

All things considered; I'd rather be in Philadelphia.

Clux4

Banned
Africa is a basket case. Again, you can believe what you chose to believe, Marshal Dillon.

That is a blanket statement. A lot of those countries got their independence between the 1940's and 1960's. Yes, we are light years ahead of them but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.