• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78)

Lonestar155

is good to go
The CVN 78 has been unveiled. Notice the major structural change to the tower.

Attachments

• 070116-N-3642E-171.jpg
    070116-N-3642E-171.jpg
    830.8 KB · Views: 431

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So the CVN-21 is going to be the Ford class? I hope the "accidental" President, along with his propensity to cascade down flight of stairs doesn't rub off on our new ships.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool stuff, a big deck, electric cats, lots of electric power...

and a proprietary Magnetron (c) recovery system as demonstrated here by a hovering Hornet during a "Magnetron" recovery test.
hoveringHornet.jpg

Rossi

and a proprietary Magnetron (c) recovery system as demonstrated here by a hovering Hornet during a "Magnetron" recovery test.
hoveringHornet.jpg

Wait... what?
I'd like to see that HC show.

Ok so i get the new electromagnetic cats, but how does the electromagnetic aircraft recovery system work?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

You know, cost wise it might be cheaper to install an electric system, but in my experience working in the engine room if anything broke it was almost always electric. The mechanical side of the house was (almost) always just preventative maintenance, the electrical side seemed to just break.

Might just be my experience with the steam, but I'd have my reservations till it works for a good bit of time. Either way, I do think it'll help cut down on the PM cycle for the system as compared to the old steam system.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
So the CVN-21 is going to be the Ford class? I hope the "accidental" President, along with his propensity to cascade down flight of stairs doesn't rub off on our new ships.

Brett
If I recall correctly, the Ford is supposed to be a transition between Nimitz-class and CVN-21. It'll use a lot of the new technology, but not have all of the new deck layout ideas that have cropped up with CVN-21.

snake020

Contributor
If I recall correctly, the Ford is supposed to be a transition between Nimitz-class and CVN-21. It'll use a lot of the new technology, but not have all of the new deck layout ideas that have cropped up with CVN-21.

So you think it'll be the only in its class like Enterprise?

I hope so... nothing personal against Ford, but to name an entire class of ships after the only President who wasn't elected after having the last principal carrier class named after a WW2 Admiral seems a bit sad.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
So you think it'll be the only in its class like Enterprise?

I hope so... nothing personal against Ford, but to name an entire class of ships after the only President who wasn't elected after having the last principal carrier class named after a WW2 Admiral seems a bit sad.
Eh... depends on what BUSHIPS says. They could just say it's a Nimitz-class by fiat, regardless of how different it is from one of those ships.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Carriers SHOULD be named as per traditional Navy "ship naming" rules ... unfortunately that went out the window when the FDR and Forrestal were named.... even though Ranger, Independence, and Saratoga filled out the Forrestal class ...

How about a "new" Wasp or Hornet ??? A Langley?? Instead of naming them for bureaucrats and politicians???

Ain't gonna happen ... :)

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Great, the Navy is spending billions of dollars to make a Ford?

I'll sell them my F-150 for cheap.

Fix Or Repair Daily.