• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....we should have just sent the Truman as a reminder ;)

Ahhhhh .... excellent. Especially for those who like to send a "message" ... :)

nukelh4.jpg

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Exactly...Navy having posted Midway there was always a source of amusement for me.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Exactly...Navy having posted Midway there was always a source of amusement for me.
So many ships that could have gone over there and probably never will . . . Nimitz, Truman, Roosevelt (the DDG), Winston S. Churchill . . .

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Any ideas on why the new CVN78 will replace the Enterprise? If anything shouldn't the old Kitty Hawk be retired and replaced?

It's a combination of age and design. Since the Big E was the first nuke carrier, the pieces were kind of thrown together, wrt to the engine rooms. Eight reactors, several operate differently (can't stand cross-watch between engine rooms) so it requires more time, manpower, and PM to keep it running, not to mention cost for the fuel. Compare that to the fact that there are only two reactors on today's carriers and it becomes pretty clear.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
I still would like to see a USS John Wayne and USS Clint Eastwood. :D

We'd simply have to send a couple of DVDs over to the aggressors with a news release that says something like; "John Wayne and Clint Eastwood left port today to matte out justice on the terrorists in ..."

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I still would like to see a USS John Wayne and USS Clint Eastwood. :D

Yeah...but neither could hold a candle to the USS Chuck Norris. Think of the cost savings...you wouldn't even need a battle group because Chuck Norris can kick a@@ all by himself.

snake020

Contributor
Yeah...but neither could hold a candle to the USS Chuck Norris. Think of the cost savings...you wouldn't even need a battle group because Chuck Norris can kick a@@ all by himself.

Again with this Chuck Norris crap? Just name a ship the USS Jack Bauer and you wouldn't even need to fire a shot; rogue nations and terrorists would be so afraid to hear Jack Bauer is coming that they'd immediately lay down their arms and beg for mercy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do not let this deteriorate into another CN or JB thread.

Brett

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
RetreadRand said:
Why not call it the USS Toyota, or USS Honda: Both hold their resale value and are quite efficient and reliable.

And these carriers would be welcome in Japan even if they leaked coolant like a sieve from the reactor.