• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78)

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
The what?

You guys don't remember the Bonnie Dick? How about the Sinkin' Sara, Shitty Kitty, FID, Lady Lex, Coral Maru, Kubo Meedoway?

(Saratoga, Kitty Hawk, Forrestal (for "First in Defense," James Forrestal being our first SecDef), Lexington, Coral Sea, Midway (Japanese annunciation))

Last of the real carriers.....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You guys don't remember the Bonnie Dick? How about the Sinkin' Sara, Shitty Kitty, FID, Lady Lex, Coral Maru, Kubo Meedoway? .....Last of the real carriers.....
*sigh* ... no they don't .... and I weep for the future of Naval Aviation ..... again.

an347kz.jpg

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
*sigh* ... no they don't .... and I weep for the future of Naval Aviation ..... again.

:D

Just as I'm sure you didn't remember the USS Texas or Nevada of WWI...its not our fault we're young and dumb...you were once too...some of us are paying attention.;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
:D Just as I'm sure you didn't remember the USS Texas or Nevada of WWI...its not our fault we're young and dumb...you were once too...some of us are paying attention.;)

Oh, you boys .... You gotta be kiddin' me ... I've studied and "lived" Navy since I was 6-7 years old when I build a model of the USS Missouri ... been to the USS Texas in San Jacinto (the oldest BB to serve in both "big" wars and I've made a model of her, BTW) , and here's a picture of where the Nevada beached herself in Pearl on December 7 ... unfortunately, the Navy in it's unceasing (un)concern for it's history and traditions destroyed her in a gunnery and torpedo exercise off Hawaii ... :(

hnloctnov20031043sv.jpg

By the way ... do you know the difference between a tripod mast and a cage mast -- without looking it up??? :) Speaking of which ... here's the remnants of the USS Oklahoma's mast that was dug up from the bottom of Pearl Harbor ... and what the USS Utah looks like today ... just so you know I'm checkin' .... :)

picture0606xr.jpg
dsc01191small1uf.jpg
an347kz.jpg

and once again .... I weep for the future of Naval Aviation ....

*edit* ...... p.s. .... "young and dumb"? I'm still young (at heart) ... but I've never been dumb ...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I had to look for the pictures...but knew the difference...
SMS_Derfflinger-ptbow-tripod-Scapa.jpg

014526.jpg

No offense of course...but again...you aren't alone, some of us are trying...and have been.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Thanks to a sympathetic air boss during my last couple CQ Leads while an A4 instructor in Meridian, I was able to achieve centurion status on the wooden deck Lexington. I relish it mostly because I think I was the last pilot able to do so, because she was retired a year after I left Meridian and I knew she really was the end of an era; I mean, c'mon, she was CV-16!

snake020

Contributor
... unfortunately, the Navy in it's unceasing (un)concern for it's history and traditions destroyed her in a gunnery and torpedo exercise off Hawaii ... :(

Why should I care about history, I'm in the air farce... oh look it's Saturday, better decide what new uniform design we're going to propose on Tuesday to change to on Thursday

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a combination of age and design. Since the Big E was the first nuke carrier, the pieces were kind of thrown together, wrt to the engine rooms. Eight reactors, several operate differently (can't stand cross-watch between engine rooms) so it requires more time, manpower, and PM to keep it running, not to mention cost for the fuel. Compare that to the fact that there are only two reactors on today's carriers and it becomes pretty clear.

I have heard the cost of retiring the Big E and her 8 reactors is the reason she is suppose to stay in commission until 2015 or so.

Death Rattler

pilot
My squadron, a Marine F8 outfit, was lucky enough to be attached to CAG 14 aboard Lexington for her last operational cruise. She was CVA 16 then. We shared a ready room with VF 141, the Iron Angels. We flew F8U-2s, they, the F3H Demon, a real p.o.s., however those boys knew how to party. The Lex did have wooden decks, or at least wood over steel. Humongus pieces of teak, bolted over the steel, then coated with some kind of non-skid stuff. The reason for the wood...any prang or other damage, the bad area could be quickly unbolted and pitched overboard and quickly replaced with some from the storage area below. A great experience for a 22 year old, but I can see that 20 years of deployments would possibly get old.We flew off in May of `62, Lex went to PNS and became a training boat for a long time. We had a reunion aboard last summer down in Corpus. The old girl smelled the same, paint, oil, etc.