• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Kitty Hawk to India?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Rumor mill has it US will offer Kitty Hawk to India ...
I think I'm gonna puke. The 'HAWK is my ship.

kittyhawklighterrk0.jpg

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I think I'm gonna puke. The 'HAWK is my ship.

kittyhawklighterrk0.jpg
FREAKIN' AWESOME! If true!

India has continually been getting the shaft from Russias progress on the Vikramaditya/Gorshkov... firings, corruption, delays... Up until this, they had no real alternative, can you imagine how pissed Putin would be if this went through, after all the effort to puff up their defense exports...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
FREAKIN' AWESOME! If true!

India has continually been getting the shaft from Russias progress on the Vikramaditya/Gorshkov... firings, corruption, delays... Up until this, they had no real alternative, can you imagine how pissed Putin would be if this went through, after all the effort to puff up their defense exports...

You have got to be kidding. Please tell me that you aren't happy about arming India for the sake of "pissing" Putin off??:confused::confused:

Not up on Hindi radicalism are we...:sleep_125

This on top of the fact that she deserves a better end than that. Why don't we just sell them Old Ironsides while we're at it?

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I'm happy because of these: $$$$$ this would be a Huge with a capital H deal, I'd imagine... contractors, maintainence, supply lines, sim training, lots of infrastructure that will bring along a deeper partnership with the United States.

Pissing Putin off is icing on the cake... and Yes I am not up to date on state sponsored Indian aggression against US interests.

Better end? What like being turned into an artificial reef? Getting torpedoed? Or sailing for another 20 years as a warship?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I just want to hook up with the Wog that gets 02-47-4L .... I left a few things in there that I'd like to get back .... :)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
s78:
We've signed a nuclear-energy deal with India, we're trying to sell them 126 Super Hornets w/ the AESA radar, & Boeing is building a huge OMR center there: We're there in terms of making them a reasonable ally. Had you made your statement 15 years ago, I'd agree w/ you. I think selling them the Kitty Hawk will pull them farther away from Russia's sphere of influence.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Had you made your statement 15 years ago, I'd agree w/ you. I think selling them the Kitty Hawk, will pull them farther away from Russia's sphere of influence.
Until they -- the Indians -- decide it's in THEIR best interest to once again, "cozy up" with the Russians or someone else. Or go it alone, if they think they have the power to do so.They're interested in kissy-face now w/the US because of the Pak bomb and they can milk more out of the US than the Rooskies at present as a result. They're probably not big fans of Al-Queda, either. They used to be concerned w/ the ChiComs on the northern borders ... and Kashmir ... and Sikh separatists in Punjab .... and, and ... the list goes on.

They have a very efficient and competent Navy and usually have ever since WW2 -- and now it's getting bigger, more modern, and more competent. But the Indians consider the Indian Ocean (hmmmm ... I wonder why they call it that .. ??) to be their private lake and often in the past have taken great umbrage to anyone else's "power projection" in that area. In the early '70's, they would not allow us the use of any Indian airfields even as emergency BINGO options and threatened shoot-downs if we crossed the 12-mile (?) limit, even in extremis -- thus forcing us to commit to blue-water, no BINGO ops which almost cost a couple of birds and aircrew.

The Indians aren't interested in being our clients. They are very pragmatic and do things that are in their self interest. If we now give them the ability to "power project" or "sea control" in the IO by virtue of a vehicle like the 'Hawk and AirWing or something similar -- i.e., a big, capable deck -- we could be setting ourselves up for problems in the future.

Of course, it's not like we haven't done that before; many times and in many places over the past 60 years ... :)

Just my $20 worth ...

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Given the likelihood of having strong, mutually-supportive relations long-term w/ either the Russians, Chinese or Indians, I'd say the Indians are by far the most conceivable & likely. It is a 60-yr democratic nation that cozied up w/ the Russians because of their history as a British colony & for their own Cold War reasons. Remember also that India fought a brief, but intense war w/ China during the late 60's. That has changed dramatically since the early 90's & IMHO we should do all we can to continue improving our relations there.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Given the likelihood of having strong, mutually-supportive relations long-term w/ either the Russians, Chinese or Indians, I'd say the Indians are by far the most conceivable & likely. It is a 60-yr democratic nation that cozied up w/ the Russians because of their history as a British colony & for their own Cold War reasons. Remember also that India fought a brief, but intense war w/ China during the late 60's. That has changed dramatically since the early 90's & IMHO we should do all we can to continue improving our relations there.

First off...let me say that I agree that we should strive to acheive better relations with India...hell...we should strive to improve relations with everyone. It'd be great if we all got along...:D

That said, we are famous as a nation for our indescretion with weapons deals and IMHO this is a classic example. Probably one of the best things that we could do, to improve our diplomatic relationships with nearly everyone, is reign in our trade in weapons. Almost without fail, when you sell a weapon to country A, you estrange country B. Now there are examples where that effect is countered by an even more pressing diplomatic or ethical or moral argument. Israel for example. India is not one of them to me.

Last....why the hell does India's status as a former British Commonwealth imply that they would cozy up to Russia?:confused: One of us is missing something here. I'm not debating that they did....just wondering why you think the two facts have anything to do with one another.

The Indians aren't interested in being our clients. They are very pragmatic and do things that are in their self interest. If we now give them the ability to "power project" or "sea control" in the IO by virtue of a vehicle like the 'Hawk and AirWing or something similar -- i.e., a big, capable deck -- we could be setting ourselves up for problems in the future.

Got that #$%^ right. Hans Morgenthau in the house...:) And as you so rightly point out...setting ourselves up for trouble is what we do!!!