• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Kitty Hawk to India?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....And the best way to maintain a pragmatic ally such as India is to maintain long term dual use technology sharing commitments with them. This provides us with a pretty big "in" to India ...
Yeah, agreed as far as it goes. But between State and the military-industrial complex in this country -- we keep transferring "technology" (read; doin' the arms trade dance) to 3rd or 2nd world countries and it frequently comes back to bite us at the end of the day.

The Indians have been involved in max turmoil since the end of the British Raj -- within their own borders and without -- Pakistan, East Pakistan, Kashmir, Punjab, the northern borders, Goa, Sri-Lanka, and there's probably more.

They have their OWN axes to grind -- they don't need a colonial power to blame it on. And when they decide their interests conflict with ours -- I'd just as soon not see them equipped w/ a big deck loaded w/ F-18's ...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I disagree. I think there is tremendous oportunity for an alliance with India. They serve as a credible counterbalance to China in both population and economic growth. India inherited enough of the British institutions to remain/become a real first world democracy. If this is the "Asian Century" my money is on India surpassing China and I believe India to be a much more natural ally for the US than any of the other prospectives.
The Indian government seems to be outgrowing the Nehru fascination with the Soviets (could be argued that most of that was based on fear of the Chinese).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I disagree. I think there is tremendous oportunity for an alliance with India. They serve as a credible counterbalance to China...
I hear where you're going -- and I get it --- I just get tired of arming the 2nd/3rd world. It's a never ending death spiral with no end in sight ....

Hell, I even remember in 1972 when the arch-anticommunist Richard Nixon joined in a "dialog" with Red China --- to serve, among other things, as a "counterbalance" against Russia.

See what I mean ... ??? It never ends. The partners on your dance card just keep changing ...
:)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Haven't you been watching AFN Opsec commercials recently?

Public knowledge. Not an opsec issue. They've been openly discussing putting a CVN in Japan for quite some time now in public forums.

Its just saying that a ship is changing homeports.

hs14sdo

Public knowledge. Not an opsec issue. They've been openly discussing putting a CVN in Japan for quite some time now in public forums.

Its just saying that a ship is changing homeports.

Doesn't mean we should continue to let the whole world know when its happening. Trust us on this, as all of us actually in CVW 5 on board the Kitty have been lectured. We agree, the world knows it is going to happen, just not supposed to know exactly when as we are usaully the only carrier presence in 7th fleet's AOR.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Doesn't mean we should continue to let the whole world know when its happening. Trust us on this, as all of us actually in CVW 5 on board the Kitty have been lectured. We agree, the world knows it is going to happen, just not supposed to know exactly when as we are usaully the only carrier presence in 7th fleet's AOR.

Sigh, OPSEC is good. This is silly. You think your just going to wake up and be on your way to San Diego one fine Navy morning sans warning?

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I hear where you're going -- and I get it --- I just get tired of arming the 2nd/3rd world. It's a never ending death spiral with no end in sight ....

Hell, I even remember in 1972 when the arch-anticommunist Richard Nixon joined in a "dialog" with Red China --- to serve, among other things, as a "counterbalance" against Russia.

See what I mean ... ??? It never ends. The partners on your dance card just keep changing ...

I hear you A4's, but part of me would like to see some return for an old (but still capable) CV. I'm equally tired of seeing our little collection of CV supercarriers hanging around indefinitely (CV's 59-64, and now 67:(). So, if we can make a few dollars back, generate some dollars coming back our way, I gotta say that's more appealing than letting it sit at some obscure pier for eternity (oh yeah, and we still have to maintain them safety-wise so it does cost money).
The Brits sold them the old "Hermes". I know that's different from a supercarrier, but shit, let's do something with it.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
See what I mean ... ??? It never ends. The partners on your dance card just keep changing ... :)
True.....I love how we are "friends"with people who have nothing in common with us. (ref mujahideen in Afghanistan in the '80's.....woops fvcked that one away)

MasterBates

Hozer, your new avatar is disturbing.

They plan to SINKEX the Forrestal into an artificial reef, along with the Saratoga and Connie.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
They plan to SINKEX the Forrestal into an artificial reef, along with the Saratoga and Connie.

Great, I was beginning to think Forrestal and Sara would be at Newport forever.

Hozer, your new avatar is disturbing.
Just getting ready to coddle young NFO's in VT-land. You know, a little of the old ultra-violence...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And now the origin of rumor emerges

Press reports now attribute rumor of Kitty Hawk going to India to a campaign to negotiate a better deal with Russia over their existing deal.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Try page 90 of the March 2008 issue of Proceedings for what is probably the clearest, least amount of B.S. rationale behind the warm-fuzzies between US and our newest, best friends ... the Indians.

Like I suggested to the question "what's behind it"? ... : The Indians self interest, that's what. :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well hell, we are training their newest cadre of Mig-29 pilots, from primary through advanced and winging.