• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Kitty Hawk to India?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
If this were to happen, any idea what would replace it for the forward deployed squadrons?

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
The article says the GW is taking her place and I've seen that written in a few other spots.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
My first traps in the T-2C were on the Kitty Hawk. The recent Indian Navy studs going through primary were supposed to go and fly Mig-29's. Wonder if this whole process were to go through, what would they fly?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At some point in the future, GW is cross-decking with Kitty Hawk and taking Air Wing 5 back to Japan, while GW's old airwing brings Kitty Hawk back here. Won't be more specific than that for OPSEC. Know a few 132 guys who are in on that boondoggle, and OBTW they start Growler transition when they get back. Bastards. :D

Scoober78 said:
Last....why the hell does India's status as a former British Commonwealth imply that they would cozy up to Russia?:confused: One of us is missing something here. I'm not debating that they did....just wondering why you think the two facts have anything to do with one another.
They were a British colony, so had they not disliked the British severely, they probably still WOULD be a British colony. The whole Ghandi thing, etc. So who do you think they would cozy up to? The West who exploited them, or the East who is willing to sell them fancy stuff with no strings attached?
My first traps in the T-2C were on the Kitty Hawk. The recent Indian Navy studs going through primary were supposed to go and fly Mig-29's. Wonder if this whole process were to go through, what would they fly?
According to other sources on the Interwebs, Super Hornets would be part of the deal.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Gotcha. Hmm, might need to look into this much more before I put in my dream sheet.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
India is the world's 2nd fastest-growing economy & 2nd most populous nation. Soon they will be the world's most populous nation. Even though Russia is shrinking population-wise, its oil revenues & good ol' Vladimir P. are allowing it to renew the arms race in a fashion. China views us as both their best customer & greatest long-term rival/enemy. Of the 3, I'd bet on the Indians as a long-term hedge against the other two. At least they don't have oil or bow towards Mecca twice daily.

Please read more history if you don't understand why Britain's non-white former colonies don't always love them.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please read more history if you don't understand why Britain's non-white former colonies don't always love them.
Ah, the British empire . . . where the sun still might never set if the administrators of such hadn't been flaming racists . . .

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

I reeeally don't think you want to open up this can of worms with me.

All I was asking you to do was make your point more clear. No need to get shitty...

The West who exploited them, or the East who is willing to sell them fancy stuff with no strings attached?

I hear the argument...I guess my point is that the "West" and the "East" are not entirely cohesive entities. (Albeit they certainly were moreso during the Cold War) All you need to look at to see what I am talking about here is the EU's bipolar relationship with Russia on oil and gas contracts, or farm subsidies....or...or...the list goes on and on. All I am trying to say here is that while saying that India cozied up with the Soviets because they were not aligned with Great Britain is a pat and plausible explanation...that don't make it so. At some level I believe that India simply saw its realist interests better met by a Soviet alliance than a "western" one. Period. Let's not forget that India was gearing up for a war of survival which had little to do with the Cold War. I simply do not find it convincing that India "crawled in with the Soviets" and slighted the "West" because they had hard feelings about the British Commonwealth...Further, who's to say that if the "West" had made convincing offers the Indians wouldn't have "crawled into bed" with them?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
n78/s78:
I apologize - wasn't trying to be a Sierra Alpha here. It didn't come off the way intended.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Here are a couple of primers on the topic:

Is India an Ally? by Sadanand Dhume, a former India correspondent of the Far Eastern Economic Review and a fellow at the Asia Society in Washington, D.C., January 2008

Indo-US military ties are inevitable, General V P Malik (retd) in RediffNews, September 18, 2007

Will India Be a Better Strategic Partner Than China?, American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, April 9, 2007

The Indians aren't interested in being our clients. They are very pragmatic and do things that are in their self interest.
And the best way to maintain a pragmatic ally such as India is to maintain long term dual use technology sharing commitments with them. This provides us with a pretty big "in" to India which can help India move away from it's traditional role as an Anti-west buffer - which will be the case if China expands it's military, and pragmatic India has only the option of kowtowing to the dragon's wishes.

Now the most important question is: When their Link trainers go down, who will the Indians call for tech support???