• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vapor Trail or Shock Wave?

GrizzlyMike

Newbie Here...First Post. I was searching the net for an aviation forum to ask a question and it looked like this would be the place to ask.

I am an amateur photographer and hit a few airshows every year. During a Superhornet demo at the Cleveland Airshow I noticed a small cone forming on the canpoy area of the F18 as it executed a high speed pass and it grew larger and moved towards the rear before the pilot pulled up. It all happened over about 2 seconds. I assume this is a shock front preceeding supersonic transition or am I totally wrong?

Thanks

AS14J.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Generally, you are not going to get any supersonic speeds at an airshow - lots on restrictions on that and people generally frown upon having their windows broken. Like Ryoukai said, you can get all kinds of vapes in all kinds of situations, especially if the relative humidity is high. Areas of low pressure cause the vapor to condense and form vapes. Now, my jet only goes supersonic at MRT going downhill, so I'm not familiar with the particulars of the Hornet, but I'm sure someone who is can give you the details as to what you're seeing in your pic.

Brett

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Grizzly...

Yeah, what those guys said. Doesn't have to be supersonic or approaching those speeds to see conning like that.

BTW...mind if I use that as my background on my comp?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
What you are seeing is localized areas of transonic (i.e. exactly Mach 1.0) flow over areas of low pressure. This is causing localized shock waves.

After 15 years, that aero degree finally payed off.

BTW: Notice the stores loading on that jet. NONE. No stores, no pylons, nothing. The Hornet cannot go supersonic in level flight with any darag unlike the Tomcat. Hence the term, "world's slowest supersonic fighter". :D

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
SteveG75 said:
BTW: Notice the stores loading on that jet. NONE. No stores, no pylons, nothing. The Hornet cannot go supersonic in level flight with any darag unlike the Tomcat. Hence the term, "world's slowest supersonic fighter". :D

Is that cannot or should not?

-Texan

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Pretty sure it cannot hit mach 1.0 with the pylons and stores. The pylons are canted at like 3 degrees pointing outboard of the centerline, which make serious drag. I think this had to do with weapons seperation problems with pylons aligned on the aircraft's centerline, at least thats what I found from some research. Not sure if anyone can verify this.

Josh

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Meat,
With talk like that it's no wonder you get all the babes. :) Is that what they mean when they say "talk dirty to me" ???
ea6bflyr

SteveG75 said:
What you are seeing is localized areas of transonic (i.e. exactly Mach 1.0) flow over areas of low pressure. This is causing localized shock waves.

petescheu

GrizzlyMike said:
OK..thanks

I took the shot using a Canon 10D and Canon 400 2.8.

Canon 400 2.8?? That thing probably cost almost as much as the jet did, crap. I know my 100-400 put me in the hurt locker for quite some time. Great shot...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shock wave story: I was flying at about 500 feet and mach 1.2 on a bug on the tacts range in an F-14A on a Topgun sortie. In the SE corner of R-2301 Supersonic flight is authorized.

In any case, we start to decell once the knock it off, my pilot pulls back out of Zone 5 to mil and we get tossed quite forcefully forward into our harnesses. What a decell. I look back into the cockpit from looking over my shoulder towards our six and see what looks like a crack in the canopy. Scared the crap out of me for second before I realized it was the shock wave of compressed air. I could actually see it like a wrinkle in the air and it moved forward as we decellerated. The air was too dry for flashes of vapes, but the shock wave was right there, even cast a shadow.

Never saw it quite that obvious again. Cool stuff. And they pay me to do this...

GrizzlyMike

Road Program said:
Grizzly...

Yeah, what those guys said. Doesn't have to be supersonic or approaching those speeds to see conning like that.

BTW...mind if I use that as my background on my comp?

Go ahead if you want. I have some high res shots from last years show at my web site. The airshow gallery is here.. http://www.phototracks.net/HFGallery.htm . This is just a hobby and I dont sell images. The Blue Angels were here last year. I will post some of the F18 Superhornet Demo images when I get them processed.

GrizzlyMike

SteveG75 said:

After 15 years, that aero degree finally payed off.

Thanks for the info.

GrizzlyMike

shoo24 said:
Canon 400 2.8?? That thing probably cost almost as much as the jet did, crap. I know my 100-400 put me in the hurt locker for quite some time. Great shot...

I was lucky to find one used on E-Bay 3 years ago and negotiated a good deal. The IS model is like $7,000 new but I got it for $3K. The guy selling it was a photo journalist and it had a lot of dings and wear on it but the glass is in prime condition. It's an awesome airshow and wildlife lens.