• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vapor Trail or Shock Wave?

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
GrizzlyMike,
Welcome aboard. You have some great shots on your website, both flying and non-flying.
I'm curious if those are images out of the camera, or do you use Photoshop in anyway?
Either way, awesome work and I'd love to see more.
-Greg

ip568

None
p3sonicboom.jpg

<P>
In VP, it's a combination of speed and both Q-effect and T-factor from the props. Note the distinctive over/under Bernouli effect.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^ What I notice is the piss poor job Photoshoping under the wings to fill in the bogus vapes. :D

Brett

GrizzlyMike

airgreg said:
GrizzlyMike,
Welcome aboard. You have some great shots on your website, both flying and non-flying.
I'm curious if those are images out of the camera, or do you use Photoshop in anyway?
Either way, awesome work and I'd love to see more.
-Greg

Thanks. I shoot mostly in RAW on the 10D and use BreezeBrowser to develop and make any neccesary adjustments in Photoshop. I do a lot of cropping with the airshow shots. I also use the Noise Ninja Filter and Photokit plugins for Photoshop as well. Some dude once said an image is made, not taken. :)

GrizzlyMike

ip568 said:
p3sonicboom.jpg

<P>
In VP, it's a combination of speed and both Q-effect and T-factor from the props. Note the distinctive over/under Bernouli effect.

Interesting shot IP. I see those halos sometimes at the midsection especially on the larger jets like the B1 bomber. One time at an airshow an F14 was doing a high speed pass and when he pulled up the whole aircraft was engulfed in a white opaque halo of mist. What Q effect and T factor are I have no idea but the explanation sounds interesting.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
GrizzlyMike said:
Interesting shot IP. I see those halos sometimes at the midsection especially on the larger jets like the B1 bomber. One time at an airshow an F14 was doing a high speed pass and when he pulled up the whole aircraft was engulfed in a white opaque halo of mist. What Q effect and T factor are I have no idea but the explanation sounds interesting.

Hopefully you dont know too much about aviation aerodynamics but that picture is fake. I just wanted to put that out cause you might get some jokes from "the others" but its understandable for somebody like you (nothing bad about that). There are no present day prop airplanes that can break the soundbarrier that i know of. I think there were a few back in the day that if were in a steep dive, could do it. Maybe somebody can chime in and give info on that.

Now at the Jacksonville Airshow last year, there was a P-3 that did a low flyby to a structurally damaging looking pull (looked awesome). There was a little bit of those clouds on top of the wings but not much.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Man, I jsut got a Nikon N70 and have a 35-70mm and 80-200MM lens. I thought I could take some pictures but those are awesome. The colors on that Canadian F-18 are incredible. I really thought your Mountain landscapes were striking as well.

I was, however, a little sad to see the link to the wolf restoration sight. Re-introducing wolves is not a good idea for the Rocky Mountains. One of the main reasons that we have such great wild lands is the time, effort and money spent by sportsmen to manage and maintain them. Wolf re-intorduction would wreck havoc with wildlife management and the opportunities for sportsmen and women to pursue game. As it stands we are in a golden age of Elk populations and they are succesfully managed by hunters and state wildlife commission. With Wolves, we would be at the mercy of the natural cycles of population boom and busts which would greatly reduce the participation of hunters and in turn hurt the wild lands and economies that support them as well.

The only benefit I see to Wolf re-introduction is the chance for motivators such as yourself to see them in the wild. People like that are few and far between; it would not be like you could just go to Rocky Mountain National Park for a day and go watch the wolves with the kids and take some pictures. They are secretive and private animals that don't necessarily hang out where you put them. I think of Mountain Lions as a good example; hunting them with hounds has been outlawed in several Western States, like Colorado and Washington. As a result, there are lot's more cute fuzzy Cougars around that attack hikers and kill pets and livestock around rural areas, even some suburban areas. Before the awful un-PC way of managing the population by hunting with hounds was outlawed, there were fewer of these instances and the state made money on the harvest of these animeals. Now, the state government is forced to pay control officers to go take care of the problem animals that it would have made money on in the past. Not the exact same thing with Wolves, but it illustrates the point that allowing those who understand management priniciples manage wildlife, the animals are better off.

End Rant.

My Mom used to work at a Wolf Sanctuary and has more Wolf art and Jewelry than you can shake a stick at. She made me promise to never shoot a Wolf, even where it's legal; I never will.

GrizzlyMike

mules83 said:
Hopefully you dont know too much about aviation aerodynamics but that picture is fake. I just wanted to put that out cause you might get some jokes from "the others" but its understandable for somebody like you (nothing bad about that). There are no present day prop airplanes that can break the soundbarrier that i know of. I think there were a few back in the day that if were in a steep dive, could do it. Maybe somebody can chime in and give info on that.

Now at the Jacksonville Airshow last year, there was a P-3 that did a low flyby to a structurally damaging looking pull (looked awesome). There was a little bit of those clouds on top of the wings but not much.

I know next to nothing about aerodynamics. I understand basic Fluid Mechanics but thats about it. I have seen contrails and vapor formations on the trailing edge of the wings of Fat Albert when it does a rocket assisted takeoff.

GrizzlyMike

RockyMtnNFO said:
Man, I jsut got a Nikon N70 and have a 35-70mm and 80-200MM lens. I thought I could take some pictures but those are awesome. The colors on that Canadian F-18 are incredible. I really thought your Mountain landscapes were striking as well.

I was, however, a little sad to see the link to the wolf restoration sight. Re-introducing wolves is not a good idea for the Rocky Mountains. One of the main reasons that we have such great wild lands is the time, effort and money spent by sportsmen to manage and maintain them. Wolf re-intorduction would wreck havoc with wildlife management and the opportunities for sportsmen and women to pursue game. As it stands we are in a golden age of Elk populations and they are succesfully managed by hunters and state wildlife commission. With Wolves, we would be at the mercy of the natural cycles of population boom and busts which would greatly reduce the participation of hunters and in turn hurt the wild lands and economies that support them as well.

The only benefit I see to Wolf re-introduction is the chance for motivators such as yourself to see them in the wild. People like that are few and far between; it would not be like you could just go to Rocky Mountain National Park for a day and go watch the wolves with the kids and take some pictures. They are secretive and private animals that don't necessarily hang out where you put them. I think of Mountain Lions as a good example; hunting them with hounds has been outlawed in several Western States, like Colorado and Washington. As a result, there are lot's more cute fuzzy Cougars around that attack hikers and kill pets and livestock around rural areas, even some suburban areas. Before the awful un-PC way of managing the population by hunting with hounds was outlawed, there were fewer of these instances and the state made money on the harvest of these animeals. Now, the state government is forced to pay control officers to go take care of the problem animals that it would have made money on in the past. Not the exact same thing with Wolves, but it illustrates the point that allowing those who understand management priniciples manage wildlife, the animals are better off.

End Rant.

My Mom used to work at a Wolf Sanctuary and has more Wolf art and Jewelry than you can shake a stick at. She made me promise to never shoot a Wolf, even where it's legal; I never will.

Thanks. The N70 is a nice tool. I have been shooting digital for 5 years and started out with the Canon 2000 which back then had an astounding 1.4 megapixels. I remember when people told me digital was just an expensive toy that would never be as popular as film. At last weekends airshow it seemed everyone either had a Canon Digital Rebel or Nikon N70 SLR.

I understand your position on the Wolves. There are a lof of folks in Wyoming and Montana who are much opposed to the reintoduction. It is an issue that seems to polarize people and doesnt seem to have any middle ground. Its either loved or hated. A few years back when I started traveling to the area I just approached the issue as it is a fact that the reintroduction exists and I was always fascinated by wolves so naturally I was all for it. I don't live there though so its easy for me to take this position.