• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vapor Trail or Shock Wave?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
The token prowler guy, explaining how his jet can look cool w/out breaking the number! :)

The Prowler will do >1.0 sans stores (kinda like your neat-o Hornet). Done it many times. Bet you didn't know that. ;)

Brett

chrispaul

NFO
None
Mefesto said:
Yup... anyone thats ever heard a C-210 or Bonanza (T-6 does it too) take off, that's just loud as hell when you're perpendicular to the prop, thats the tips getting supersonic. Sloppy prop govenor.

I like my prop feathered....:D Nice and quiet by my TACCO seat.

Attachments

• feathered prop.jpg
    feathered prop.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 15

pdx

HSM Pilot
That said (and a common point of confusion for some), you don't need supersonic anything to make vapes. All that's required is that the airfoil creates an area of pressure low enough to raise the dewpoint of the ambient air to OAT.

Brett

Yep, I've seen the protrusions on the side windows of my helo do it at 80 KIAS. Of course the dewpoint spread was about 1 degree.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, I've seen the protrusions on the side windows of my helo do it at 80 KIAS. Of course the dewpoint spread was about 1 degree.

I love how the pointy-nosed guys are silent after they figured out my flying drumstick can bust the number. :D No retort, guys, or are you just hoping for an open bar at Hook? ;)

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
There better be an open bar at hook!

And I retorted, but looks like it didn't post. I said something to the effect of being slick, down hill from the 40's at full grunt... and seeing 1.01 dosen't count! :icon_tong

I'd say it's pretty respectable for not having a blower - something I've seen lots of Hornets have to tap to keep up with the Prowlers on a low level. ;) Our engines may suck at altitude, but they're pretty money down close to the deck.

Brett