• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Voluntary Termination

pdog79

I'm an O-3 helo pilot and due to some struggling to make HAC and personal reasons I've recently decided to voluntarily terminate my flight status. However, as much research as I've done I haven't been able to figure out what will happen now. Genav I guess? What kinds of Genav jobs are there? Are all Genav jobs just on carriers? Does anyone know if there are shore Genav jobs? Or if there any LT's who have done this before who haven't been sent Genav?
I still have a desire to serve and maybe laterally transfer but I have no idea what the committment rules are to aviation and what usually happens to you if you volterm.
If anyone has any insight that'd be awesome.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to stay in, I would look at lat xfer into another community rather than be in some designatorless black hole. I've known some guys in your situation that have gone into IWO or Intel. Check out your options, then involve your front office and detailer as necessary.

Brett

snizo

Supply Officer
One of my supply corps classmates was a former GenAv type. The Navy retained him through O-3 as a GenAv officer, but he redesignated because the Navy was forcing all general aviation LT's out. Now this was about two years ago, but considering GenAv is pretty much a "designatorless black hole" with a questionable future at any given time - you'd be wise to avoid general aviation.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'll put a plug in for IWO. It, or at least in the academia of NPS, seemed to be a huge consideration for future Navy missions. Plus, they actually seem like they get to do some pretty interesting stuff (not just behind a computer all day).

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
A friend of mine had issues in aviation and wanted to stay in. He was told that there is/will be no more genav. He tried to redes but at the time was told no joy. So he volunteered for IA's in order to not be kicked out. Now he wants to transfer to the army to do intel work and suddenly there is a need for Naval officers, so they are forcing him to put in a redes package before they let him try the transfer. The Navy is a fickle thing. You might have luck with Intel, or just filling IA billets. It all depends on what the Navy needs.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
If you have an engineering degree, I'd look at the acquisition world (NAVAIR stuff), AEDO or IWO. All these will enhance your marketability if and when you leave the service. The first two typically don't deploy, which may be a plus if your personal issues are affected by it.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
While there have been folks who lost their flight status for medical reasons who have picked up AEDO, a voluntary termination under your circumstances will likely preclude that option. If you are serious about redesignating then talk to your XO/CO and get a recommendation for your new community written into your FITREP. That will go a long way at the lat xfer board. Call the community managers of the communities you are interested in and find out what they are looking for; your YG, major, foreign language ability, etc. will affect who might pick you up. Having said that, don't let them talk you out of applying if you are truly interested. Worst the Navy can do is say no.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't be surprised if they put you in for an IA billet as you waited to transfer over. I am assuming you still have a 7 or 8 year commitment to fulfill? I knew one person who dropped their flight status near the mid to end of her JO tour. She transferred to shore duty and was getting out. I don't know if that is an option for you if you are still early on in your 1st sea tour.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Can you switch over to the safety side of the house. I remember a few years ago some aviators from the safety center came down to push their billets. None of them were flying anymore but still wore their wings.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^
I thought a lot of these guys were terminal O4s not screened for DH or non-command O5s. Some of them still fly C-12s out of Norfolk, but are mostly done operationally.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
^^
I thought a lot of these guys were terminal O4s not screened for DH or non-command O5s. Some of them still fly C-12s out of Norfolk, but are mostly done operationally.

Possible I guess. The guys who spoke with us were O-3 types and maybe one O-4.

Not a DIFDEN tour but no kidding dont fly anymore-ever? How would anyone listen to these guys in aviation safety matters? No credibility whatsoever!

As long as they used to fly they have credibility. I know many sim instructors don't fly anymore, should we not give them any credibility? Again, this was a few years ago and it was my understanding that once you make the switch, you don't fly anymore. Maybe it changes ones designator from a 1310 to 13XX?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
No, there is no separate designator for safety guys. As a side note, going to the Safety Center as an O-3 is WAY out of the box as far as first shore duty goes. That would be pretty far down the pecking order to a DH screen board.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
No, there is no separate designator for safety guys. As a side note, going to the Safety Center as an O-3 is WAY out of the box as far as first shore duty goes. That would be pretty far down the pecking order to a DH screen board.

Just about any non-flying tour is out of the box for an O-3. Going there is probably going to end things unless you follow it up with some hard tours or back to back sea tours.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just about any non-flying tour is out of the box for an O-3. Going there is probably going to end things unless you follow it up with some hard tours or back to back sea tours.

That is highly community dependent. In mine, there are only ever ~30 O-3 spots in the RAG, which is probably the best place you can be career-wise. After that, all bets are off. A flying tour in the TRACOM would be looked at less favorably than a non-flying tour at a JIOC, something overseas or even some billets in DC. In other communities, like VP, the RAG I billet is much more of a requirement for continued upward mobility.

Brett