• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WAR in GAZA???

swerdna

None
Contributor
Getting respectable news from Al Jazeera is like getting honest information from Michael Moore.

swerdna

None
Contributor
When Osama bin Laden (and various other terrorists) want to get their videos on TV, where do they send them? Al Jazeera.

Does Al Jazeera care that he's a mass-murderer? Do they try and help track him down? Do they care that they're passing on information to his lieutenants?

Of course not.

I don't need to eat s**t to know that it tastes bad.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
al-Jazeera

It was good enough for this Marine:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-09-28-rushing-cover_x.htm

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1110008,00.html

http://english.aljazeera.net/aboutus/2006/11/2008525173152492436.html

IF you get a chance to watch the documentary that set off the initial chain of events that lead to his vilification by the media and his subsequent departure for the Marine Corps into his career with al-Jazeera, Control Room, I *highly* recommend it.

When Osama bin Laden (and various other terrorists) want to get their videos on TV, where do they send them? Al Jazeera.

Does Al Jazeera care that he's a mass-murderer? Do they try and help track him down? Do they care that they're passing on information to his lieutenants?

This post is ridiculous on many levels. It is not the media's duty nor is it their place as journalists to be police. The media's function is to report the news, not hunt down baddies. I highly doubt that bin Laden or anyone affiliated with him or his organization who is of ANY value or expense whatsoever is just "walking up" and handing a tape to al-Jazeera personally. Surely, if he has alluded capture for this many years he's smarter than that. More than likely, its a friend of a brother of a nephew of a cousin that is handing it off a tape to some random guy on the street to drop off at their back door.

That argument in and of it self lends absolutely zero credence to your notion that al-Jazeera is not a respectable news organization.

Lastly, ten bucks says you've never actually sat down and read a single article from al-Jazeera top to bottom, cover to cover.

exhelodrvr

pilot
"but that does not mean that most of their reporting is not factual"

Just because everything they present is factual does not mean that they present an accurate picture. And over the years, they have consistently presented an inaccurate picture of the military actions that have been takn by the Israeli military.

Tim Tebow threw as many interceptions in the title game as he did the in all the previous games this year, combined.

Factual? Absolutely.
Does that provide an accurate portrayal of his performance in that game? Hardly.

swerdna

None
Contributor
Well, I'll check it out. But you can't put too much stock in what one person says.

I don't see what his being a Marine has to do with anything. Lee Harvey Oswald was a Marine.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Well, I'll check it out. But you can't put too much stock in what one person says.

I don't see what his being a Marine has to do with anything. Lee Harvey Oswald was a Marine.

What is your point? Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK; this guy was a PAO during OIF in 2003, worked daily with al-Jazeera, and saw them in a different light than most people, so much so that hey gave up his career five years before retirement and went to work for them.

Is today shitty analogy day on these boards? I can't believe you just likened a guy who did a 2-year stint in the Marines and defected to the Soviet Union to a man who was a career Marine of 15 years. Apples and oranges.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

And you would be wrong nowadays. Shows how much you know......:eek:

Ignorance may be bliss, but it makes you wrong in this case.

swerdna

None
Contributor
My point (because apparently was not clear enough) is that just because he was a Marine does not mean that his opinion is correct. That's why it's an opinion.

How many other former (or current) servicemembers don't like Al Jazeera? Should we post quotes from all of them too?

The guy can say whatever he wants and work wherever he wants. But so can I.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
My point (because apparently was not clear enough) is that just because he was a Marine does not mean that his opinion is correct. That's why it's an opinion.

How many other former (or current) servicemembers don't like Al Jazeera? Should we post quotes from all of them too?

The guy can say whatever he wants and work wherever he wants. But so can I.

I lend more credence to someone who worked with al-Jazeera on a daily basis than some guy on the Internet who has never read an al-Jazeera article and is blasting them because it's the cool, edgy thing to do.

Having an opinion is not a crime, but having an uninformed one (while not a crime) won't help your case, either.

swerdna

None
Contributor
I lend more credence to someone who worked with al-Jazeera on a daily basis than some guy on the Internet who has never read an al-Jazeera article and is blasting them because it's the cool, edgy thing to do.

Having an opinion is not a crime, but having an uninformed one (while not a crime) won't help your case, either.

Sorry to knock on the pseudo-conspiracy, but I don't have a "case" nor am I trying to be "edgy". I just don't like groups that pretend to be un-biased.